PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Goals

bacpacker
12-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Well folks 2015 is just around the corner. I thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread about your goals for the upcoming year. With the crowd we have on here there should be some good ones.
I'll be back in a while to post up my list.

ak474u
12-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Expand garden
Rainwater collection
Fix some storage issues
Get better at canning

Get decent job instead of the rat bastard one I've got right now.

ElevenBravo
12-28-2014, 08:53 PM
lose weight
get in better shape
return to lifting weight

Fatty
12-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Get in shape for more mud obstacle courses with my cousin.

Get into some trail running with wife and son.

Enter the realm of krav maga. Classes start next Mon.

Sniper-T
12-28-2014, 10:15 PM
continue weight loss...
quit smoking...
Cardiovascular fitness
expand gardens
finish pond
fill woodshed
landscape yard (finish)

bacpacker
12-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Top of my list is to lose more weight and get my ass in shape (well besides round).
Finish the grape arbor. Already have a decent start on it.
Have either a greenhouse or a couple of Low grow tunnels ready to go by fall
Install my HF antenna and spend time learning the HF bands
Plant more fruit trees and bushes
There are plenty more but these are at the top of the list.

Vodin
12-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Complete the final Pond build.
Expand on the garden build as well as the Aquaponic build.
Lose weight and fit up
And learn more skills.

helomech
12-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Keep going to the gym.
Continue with Shorin ryu karate and haganah training.
Wood burning stove
finish my big green house.
pay off debt
expand dirt garden
build another chicken coup for 4h broilers
I am down to about 12% body fat and want to drop to about 8%
Keep buying up all the 22lr I can find

robsdak
12-29-2014, 08:29 AM
let's see here....

plant no less the 25 different veggies in the garden.
do more blueberries this year.
add 2 more hives/colonies of bees.
get in better health. (not gonna happen, doesn't hurt to want it)
find/pick 1 steady girl, instead of the 4 i seem to rotate through.
find and kill the beaver that has been wreaking havoc at my buddies place.
FISH MORE OFTEN!
start and finish the light bar for my truck.
add the extra back-up lights in the rear bumper of the truck.
be nicer to??? (always have that one person)
care more/pay attention to the world outside of 'my bubble'.
replace the pack & pinion on the truck.
finish the electric fence for the puppies. (bitches seem to dig out every time your not watching)
get over too Helo's place and pick up some 22LR. (just kidding, have some)
go get my centefire's out of 'safe keeping'. (long story short, when i went to Cali i have several that aren't Cali legal and had to be stored)
shoot more often.
finish my little wood shop area in the garage.
spend time making/doing things in said shop area.
find a short barrel for the walther p22.
save my pennies and get a sig sauer mosquito.
locate and buy a savage 24c in 22LR/20ga

i am sure there are plenty more things 'i need to do'

this looks more like things i need to do, rather than a resolution list. :)

helomech
12-29-2014, 03:32 PM
My son has a sig misquito, and I would not buy another. It is too finiky. If kept clean, and use good ammo it works fine, but and that is a big BUT it seems to have failures to feed and extract way to much for me. I am going to get one of those ruger 22/45 lite's.

ElevenBravo
12-29-2014, 10:08 PM
For a 22 plinker, the Heritage Rough Rider is a sweet weapon! Its the first gun my daughter ever owned, bought her one for her 12th or 13th birthday, I forget. She was just beside herself.. "Is this a REAL gun???" Sure is punkin'!

Its a hella straight shooter, even at 100 yards.

https://grabagun.com/salesperson/result/?q=heritage%20rough%20rider&Trigger=ac

Hers is the 22/22M 4" with traditional (not rounded) butt.

EB

robsdak
12-30-2014, 01:02 AM
the one i shot was fine and would 'eat' anything i fed it. LOL no failures, jams. is the one i shot, 1 in 100? or is his? as for .22 pistols, i am not 'gun poor', i have a Ruger Single Six and a 3 screw model, MKll in blue and SS with the 5" barrels, a Govt. Model w/target sights and the Walther p22. i shoot Federal, Remington, Winchester, Eley, CCI and Wolf brands of ammo.

as for the Heritage gun goes, i have seen them just never shot it.

helomech
12-30-2014, 02:12 AM
As long as his is clean and you don't feed it the real cheap ammo it does pretty good. 1 or 2 failures out of 100. But if it gets dusty (we have lots of dust here) then the slide just does not move freely enough. I had to polish the crap out of the feed ramps to get it to this point. It used to jam a lot. I tried both springs that came with it, the spring for the fast ammo won't work at all.

robsdak
12-30-2014, 03:08 PM
i was thinking a Sig would round out my collection. it just felt 'right' if that makes sense. sorry to hear about the boy's gun being picky. the other Sig i have is of good quality. but still prefer my Springfield's... that won't change.

Gunfixr
12-30-2014, 03:19 PM
The Mosquitos are finicky, what you have listed is already better. If you want one, I won't tell you not to get it, but unless you get lucky, you'll end up shooting the others while it sits in the safe.

As for my list, it's pretty short.
Need to get in better physical condition.
Need water collection.
Always need more food, and a garden, but I'd end up doing it myself.
Try to continue training.
I want guns, but don't need any. Same probably goes for ammo, although a couple calibers could use boosting.
Guess I'll fix up the Bronco no one wants to buy, turn it into a BOV.
Might have to get a job, workload has been steadily declining, got less and less income, and we all know the bills aren't going down.

helomech
12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
i was thinking a Sig would round out my collection. it just felt 'right' if that makes sense. sorry to hear about the boy's gun being picky. the other Sig i have is of good quality. but still prefer my Springfield's... that won't change.

My other sigs are incredible. I don't know if my 229 has ever had a failure and it is over 10 years old and gets shot a lot. WAY WAY past 10k rounds. I am thinking probably over 20k.

Stormfeather
12-30-2014, 10:51 PM
The list for me is pretty simple this year,

First and foremost, continue working on the weight loss and getting into a lot better shape than I am now. Im doing good, but can be doing a hell of a lot better. Ive got one or two military schools I want to go to before I round out my career, so that means being in pretty much the same shape I was in back in my 20's, (20 years ago!)

2nd, Hades Armament. Working on making it successful is my main priority for the year, that means long hours and hard work. But the end game will make it all worth it.

3rd, Put a garden in at the new house, I plan on making a pretty large garden this year, and hopefully making sure that it is much more successful than this years garden was. Granted I was gone for 2 months back to back this year with training, but impressing on the wife how seriously I want this to succeed.

4th, I want to concentrate on three to four aspects of prepping this year, and them alone. Communications with getting my HAM license is one, Water storage is another, solar panel and making the house off-grid capable, and possibly bee-keeping if I can swing it.

Other than that, my battle plan for the year is pretty much set in stone!

izzyscout21
01-01-2015, 03:34 AM
T
Guess I'll fix up the Bronco no one wants to buy, turn it into a BOV.

Somebody said "Bronco"............

Gunfixr
01-01-2015, 05:25 AM
Guess I missed something.
Bronco???

robsdak
01-01-2015, 08:34 AM
The list for me is pretty simple this year,
bee-keeping if I can swing it.

let me know if i can help. it's easy!

Willie51
01-01-2015, 03:18 PM
In 2015 my plan is to:

Continue long term food storage along with other essential preps.
Learn how to use my dehydrator.
Build and plant 4 raised bed gardens.
Build green house.
Get more "off the grid" ready and get whole house generator installed (especially living in hurricane country).
Exercise more and stay healthy.
Definitely do more fishing!
Sell motorhome and start real camping and enjoy the great outdoors.
Cut unnecessary expenses.

*As far as the Sig Mosquito- My son is a Sig guy and bought one for his wife who is a nurse. The dang thing jammed up constantly. He even sent it back to Sig and when it came back, it did the same thing over and over. Definitely will not shoot some ammo! It even jammed with Remington and Winchester. He gave it away after 2 year of screwing with it. He bought her a P238 and it is sweet! He also owns a 226 and P938 and they are sweet as well. Just my two cents worth. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, Happy New year! :-)

Socalman
01-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Regarding Sig Mosquito: I believe this gun is built by another company for Sig-Sauer. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I will correct me if I am wrong.

My goals this year:
1. Expand my food storage by canning. We have done lots of freezing of our garden harvest but if the electricity goes south, we are S.O.L.
2. Get a generator. Choices are limited by the state of California. Many fine ones are not Ca. Air Resource Board compliant.
3. Expand water storage. Right this minute we have drinking water for about 2 1/2 weeks. Water in my spa can serve for some basic washing and hygiene.
4. Begin to reload the .223 and 7.62X39. Have all the dies but have not picked up bullets.

ElevenBravo
01-02-2015, 07:47 PM
* find some reloading powder for crying out loud! *

bacpacker
01-03-2015, 02:06 AM
I forgot to add reloading to my list. EB, I just picked up some power pistol at our last gun show.

eagle326
01-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Okay ; mine is to keep on keeping on where ever that may lead me. ;)

ElevenBravo
01-03-2015, 03:51 AM
power pistol

How much was it?

Thats the powder I started with, and I found it (without a chrony) to do a great job, I like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCE24PAw8IU

bacpacker
01-03-2015, 03:56 AM
I think it was around $28.00 per lb. It's went up since I first bought some.

The powder I have for rifle rounds (BLC-2) went up from about $10 a lb to 16 per lb. It is available again though.

Stormfeather
01-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Regarding Sig Mosquito: I believe this gun is built by another company for Sig-Sauer. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I will correct me if I am wrong.

My goals this year:
2. Get a generator. Choices are limited by the state of California. Many fine ones are not Ca. Air Resource Board compliant.

SoCalMan... one thing I want to point out and not make too fine of a point on... if shit goes sideways, nobody, and I do mean NOBODY (Especially YOU) are going to care if your genny is CARB compliant or not. If you can find a good deal on one while outside of PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia) I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. If you use it in time of disaster, great! If not, its not like the CARB police are out looking at every single device in the state of Kalif. Do what your pocketbook can handle, I get that being a former PRK resident. But I also know, Im not going to rely on the gov't, and especially not the gov't in Kalifornia to take care of me in my time of need and neither should you. This is the same reason I have no issues with sending 30 rd mag parts to friends behind enemy lines, because stupidity is always going to be there with gov't's, and its up to the citizens to ensure that they are equipped with the resources needed to save themselves if and when that time comes.

robsdak
01-04-2015, 09:14 AM

My goals this year:
1. Expand my food storage by canning. We have done lots of freezing of our garden harvest but if the electricity goes south, we are S.O.L.
3. Expand water storage. Right this minute we have drinking water for about 2 1/2 weeks. Water in my spa can serve for some basic washing and hygiene.
4. Begin to reload the .223 and 7.62X39. Have all the dies but have not picked up bullets.

just an offer.. i 'might' be heading that way in late June early July. if you want, save your pennies, find the one you want and i can/will bring you a genset that way. i know, Cali has some real stupid laws.

Domeguy
01-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Have to get into better shape.

Socalman
01-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Improve our canning skills for our garden harvests. We have been freezing for years, but if we lose all electricity for any length of time we will lose a good amount of stored food.

bacpacker
01-13-2015, 12:05 AM
We are moving toward canning a higher percentage of our stuff as well. I think the nutrition levels stay up a little more as well.

Vodin
01-13-2015, 02:15 AM
I have the backyard gardens planned out. Placing a cold frame in the back as well. I will compost the raised garden beds and place nutrients in them as well. They will then be covered with pallets and 5 gallon buckets will be used to grow the vegetables on the pallets. This will allow the raised beds some down time to be ready for next season. I will have 2 55 gallon barrels on the patio. 1 for potatoes the others for spices and flowers. Hopefully the Catawba grapes and the Raspberries will kick it into gear on the fence line.

And again I suggest when you go to Sam's or Costco pick up some free 5 gallon buckets from the bakery. I will be planting my garden in those buckets. I can then mark down the plants growing on the buckets as well as move them around if needed.

Will be starting the final pond build by hand digging a 16'x7'x5' pit for the pond. If all goes well I will have some pictures later this year. And it will be raccoon proof. (Also I will have lost some poundage and built some strength) :)