PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this bee hive

helomech
12-29-2014, 06:22 PM
http://removeandreplace.com/2013/05/07/how-to-easily-make-a-beehive-in-a-jar-backyard-project-diy/

I would imagine it would need to stay way out of the sun.

ElevenBravo
12-29-2014, 10:12 PM
I know nothing
http://www.nndb.com/people/181/000032085/schultz.jpg
about no bee keepin...

But, that looked cool as hell!
EB

robsdak
12-30-2014, 01:13 AM
it is cool, i have seen them and yes it needs mostly shade. the glass will heat up and melt the honeycomb. too me, it seems more like a gimmick, rather than practical. people like unique though. the down side is it doesn't make as much honey, what you see is what you get. you can take a Langstroth Hive with 2 9" Brood Boxes and then 5 or 6, 7 5/8" Honey Supers and make 60 - 90# of honey. do the math.

Sniper-T
12-30-2014, 01:25 AM
Now, that is interesting. Although I think it would result in sliced and diced bears on a honey high.

I think I will continue on my idea of a steel box hive.

helomech
12-30-2014, 02:10 AM
No bears here sniper.

ak474u
12-30-2014, 03:39 AM
No bears here sniper.

Said the first guy to get eaten by a bear in east Texas since the ice age. Lol

Sniper-T
12-30-2014, 03:43 AM
No bears here sniper.

Too bad! They are great big cuddly furry bags of yummy meat!

... kinda like large kittens...

helomech
12-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Said the first guy to get eaten by a bear in east Texas since the ice age. Lol

LMAO, to many trigger happy red necks.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad! They are great big cuddly furry bags of yummy meat!

... kinda like large kittens...

So glad we don't have them. Hogs tear up enough stuff, could not imagine what bears would do. And they would probably be protected so we could not legally shoot them.

robsdak
12-30-2014, 03:04 PM
LMAO, to many trigger happy red necks.

- - - Updated - - -

So glad we don't have them. Hogs tear up enough stuff, could not imagine what bears would do. And they would probably be protected so we could not legally shoot them.

we have the little black variety here. they aren't bad. stomp your foot and they run off up a tree. LOL i just saw one friday evening at a friends place on the lake. i was sitting on the dock watching the sun go down and seen what i thought was a black lab out of the corner of my eye. i thought to myself "self, it's a little chilly for a swim" it swam in a large circle and got out, shook it's self off and that's when i noticed it was a bear! about 125-150 lbs. pretty neat experience. wished i had something too shoot it with....... like a camera. LOL

helomech
12-30-2014, 05:41 PM
They would be hell on my deer, and livestock feeders. I would have to blast them legally or not.

ElevenBravo
12-30-2014, 10:45 PM
hogs = bacon

Helo lives in bacon country!!

helomech
12-31-2014, 09:58 PM
The hogs are not as plentiful as they where a few years ago. Still get pics of them sometimes, but have not had one in my scope in 2 years.

robsdak
01-02-2015, 05:44 AM
They would be hell on my deer, and livestock feeders. I would have to blast them legally or not.

thing is, i hear the eat pretty good. :)

helomech
01-02-2015, 09:20 PM
thing is, i hear the eat pretty good. :)

Yeah, but they are illegal to hunt.

Sniper-T
01-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Even out of season around here, a land owner has the right to shoot bears that ruin crops/gardens or threaten their livestock or home and family.

helomech
01-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Even out of season around here, a land owner has the right to shoot bears that ruin crops/gardens or threaten their livestock or home and family.

Not here, unless it is attacking people. I think bears can attack livestock because they are protected.

robsdak
01-05-2015, 03:59 AM

no season for them here, either, but we have the same rules/laws as ST. let me catch one here in my bees. this year, i am planning on 4 hives here at the house. but, that is another thread for later.