PDA

View Full Version : Civil unrest and disobedience

mitunnelrat
12-29-2014, 10:41 PM
It will take me some time to get links copied and pasted, unless somebody else is kind enough to help me out, but I want to get the ball rolling here.

Who else has read/ heard the reports of increased attacks on cops and violence at malls? Thus far I can identify North Carolina, Florida, and LA on cop attacks, and a Philidelphia suburb with a mall brawl, including two reports on other locations.

Info... Thoughts... Changes to your activity/ preps?

ElevenBravo
12-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Ive been keeping an eye on the sit, esp when Sharpton calls to kill cops, now...

*THIS* white boy aint leaving the house without a .45 (I never do anyway) AND a spare mag (I dont normally do that).

I do wish I had an underfolder for a truck gun, maybe in the future... or a 500 with a pistol grip... Since I have neighter, the .45 (Sig P250) and extra mag are in service.

I dont normally go to the mall anyway, when I do its because my daughter wants something from there, and its in and out...

I keep an eye on other drivers more, just for the possibility of the "honkey road rage", doubt it will happen but Im still being careful. I drive like a normal person... No suddon brake jabs, give my signal plenty early, polite.. all the hallmarks of someone trying to avoid road rage (which I do anyway).

I keep my doors locked at home at all times, which only makes sense.. etc.. etc..

You know, the normal everyday live in a filthy environment kinda things, Im just keeping my eyes more wide open is all.

Ill have to google the mall riot..

This may, or may not... be the "one"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHE09Hrvgzw
Move on, nothing to see here.. hood language and lots of inflated egos, looks like what I believe to be a typical day in Philli.

EB

bacpacker
12-30-2014, 12:00 AM
We've been out of town the last few days so I haven't kept up with the news. I didn't hear about the mall incident or the NC/Fla attacks. I did catch a little bit about the LA, but not much on details. All this just points out to me that things aren't doing anything but going downhill. Seems to be picking up steam to.

Lately I have been carrying everywhere I go where allowed. Always armed at the house and out working around the place. Trying to always be aware of who and what is going on around me. Part of that was emphsised when I had my eye problems. I was pretty much blinded on one side while wearing the patch, and being out in public was very unnerveing to say the least. It has served to heathen my senses of what is going on more than before. We have also been avoiding places we know are rough areas. No point in tempting fate.

ak474u
12-30-2014, 12:54 AM
It seemed like the shooting in Missouri where the guy pointed a gun at the cop causing his untimely demise was a "poke the bear" kind of attack to me.

Heres an arrest due to a threat here locally:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/27724489/ft-worth-police-arrest-teen-accused-of-terroristic-threat

robsdak
12-30-2014, 01:43 AM
It seemed like the shooting in Missouri where the guy pointed a gun at the cop causing his untimely demise was a "poke the bear" kind of attack to me.

Heres an arrest due to a threat here locally:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/27724489/ft-worth-police-arrest-teen-accused-of-terroristic-threat

toy gun or not, the arrest was 'justified' as i see it. all it takes is one nut job and a well placed bullet and you aren't going home.

as for the rest of it, nothing has really changed around here, but remember i live in a 'bubble'. not saying that i don't have my 'Spidey Senses' going, just not the type to see something that isn't there.

down here there are a few businesses that have signs about concealed carry and asking you not too, i just don't patronize their establishment and stay way form the places i can't do so legally. i don't drink, so bars are out and as far a banking, i just go through the drive up window. IMO, all these folks whining and crying about concealed carry won't talk and/act that way 'if' you save their ass with yours... most of the time, you don't know that i am, unless i tell you i am armed.

sitting here thinking more about this. looks like i need to build another Win. 1300, SpeedFeed lll Tactical Stock, shell saddle, 2 rd. extension, 20 3/4" bbl, light and Ghost Sights to keep in the truck. just in case things go south. WTF is the world coming too? this is why i don't care too read the national news.

Gunfixr
12-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Well, no tv, cable cut off yrs ago, haven't been online in a week, been too busy, so I hadn't heard.

Nothing different around here. We shooting somewhere nearby all the time anyway, so nothing new. No more or less shots than any other time.

Turns out, our city was ranked 14 (IIRC) in the top 100 most dangerous cities. The neighboring city (sharing a border) was 10.

I think this alone explains that we don't go about unarmed as a matter of course, so nothing has changed.

Stormfeather
12-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Like you guys, Ive kind of stepped up my situational awareness. Was at the Mall of America a week or so ago when it was flooded with a metric ass-ton of protestors. I was kicking myself in the ass for not listening to the news because it apparently was a planned protest that the MOA asked protestors not to do, because of it being private property. Well lo and behold, I ended up smack dab in the middle of it, so went to threatcon-1 in a flash as soon as it happened. Luckily that mall is so damn big I was able to move out of the area to another side of the mall where there was no sign of them, and continue shopping, although wit my head on a swivel at that point.
With the attacks on law enforcement, and the continued civil unrest, Im scaling back my going out of the area and sticking closer to home. While I am out here in the boonies per se, you still have no idea what anyones got planned, and you never know where shit is going to kick off.

izzyscout21
01-01-2015, 03:27 AM
I'm a hermit, so there's that........and as some of you can personally attest, I tend to be both overly-cautious and overly-armed.........

I have kicked the situational awareness up a few notches...

Gunfixr
01-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Well, lots of gunfire last night, mixed in with the fireworks.
Nothing came through the walls or windows, at least so far as I can tell.
A friend was over last night, who also lives here in the same city. He must live in a substantially quieter neighborhood, although I remember a night not so long ago when he was firing a shot across someone's bow because they were in the street out front of his place with a gun threatening people.
He kept looking over at me like "is this normal"?
Yeah, pretty much.

While I think it's nice not to be so overly jumpy, I fear it breeds complacency. Bullets are going to come through the walls someday, and we won't even duck.

And before anybody says we should move, we would like that very much. We just can't financially swing it. We bought this place before real estate exploded (15yrs ago), and now have less income. We could easily sell this property at twice what we bought it for, but then couldn't make the payments on what would cost 2-3 times as much as this. For now, we are stuck.

Willie51
01-01-2015, 03:52 PM
We live in "small town America" which is mostly conservative with little crime. That being said though, we are practicing much more situational awareness. When traveling, I go around areas that might be prone to Al Sharpton's BS. When traveling, we travel with a locker and several GHBs to fit the needs just in case.

ak474u
01-01-2015, 04:53 PM
We live in "small town America" which is mostly conservative with little crime. That being said though, we are practicing much more situational awareness. When traveling, I go around areas that might be prone to Al Sharpton's BS. When traveling, we travel with a locker and several GHBs to fit the needs just in case.

This is a good idea. IMHO, there's a good chance the people who want a conflict may target small town cops, who may not have big city training, or may be easier to brand as "country redneck racists" due to the local department makeup.

helomech
01-01-2015, 09:54 PM
If it wasn't for work, karate, and the gym I would never leave my house. Our town is less than 300 people, so there is no real crime. I drive through Houston every week, but unless my car dies, I don't stop until I am way clear of that place.

robsdak
01-02-2015, 05:32 AM
If it wasn't for work, karate, and the gym I would never leave my house. Our town is less than 300 people, so there is no real crime. I drive through Houston every week, but unless my car dies, I don't stop until I am way clear of that place.

same here. well, not work, gym, karate or driving through Houston. and my town's population has exploded since we moved here 30+years ago, but i have no real reason to leaver the house. i am in the heart of several Air Force and Army Bases. that being said, 'it' doesn't make me feel any safer, the ones i have talked too are morons, just like most of the population now a days. like mindless drones. (if this post sounds of kilter, it's late and i was woke up...LOL)

mitunnelrat
01-02-2015, 08:37 PM
I live outside a small town myself, but it seems like things have been escalating even here. Not racial tensions or attacks against cops, but burglaries and armed robbery. Destruction of property and the like...

I work for the City of Detroit though, and believe I've already been shot at once for wearing a uniform similar to their PD, while driving home. Nobody can figure why else my window blew out next to my head a moment after a car pulled up alongside me, and this was years before our current circumstances.

At home we've upped our security some, and my SA is definitely elevated after said window incident, so I'm more apt to notice a threat. I don't forget to remove or cover my uniform down there anymore either.

Sniper-T
01-03-2015, 08:25 AM
I live rural, and enjoy quietude for the most part... but I do drive through core downtown everyday that I work, and usually at ungodly hours.... My situational awareness has gone up in the last couple months, When I go back on Monday I may actually start locking my doors.

ladyhk13
01-07-2015, 09:37 PM
I guess we are very lucky. Our town is really safe, we never lock our cars or our outbuildings. Never had a problem. Guy across the street had some tools taken out of his barn but he knew who did it, someone who worked for him.
Our cops pretty much deal with domestic stuff, some speeders (lots of time they won't even give ya a ticket), funeral processions, fires and stuff like that. The black people here are very friendly. Everyone says hi, asks how your day is and smiles. Even over in the next closest town where we shop, I'm sure there is some crime but very little and it's more Mexicans I think than blacks.
We still carry and are aware but we are blessed to be in this area.

Domeguy
01-08-2015, 12:13 AM
I guess we are very lucky. Our town is really safe, we never lock our cars or our outbuildings. Never had a problem. Guy across the street had some tools taken out of his barn but he knew who did it, someone who worked for him.
Our cops pretty much deal with domestic stuff, some speeders (lots of time they won't even give ya a ticket), funeral processions, fires and stuff like that. The black people here are very friendly. Everyone says hi, asks how your day is and smiles. Even over in the next closest town where we shop, I'm sure there is some crime but very little and it's more Mexicans I think than blacks.
We still carry and are aware but we are blessed to be in this area.

Ditto!

Sniper-T
01-08-2015, 02:02 AM
home is good, most times our doors are unlocked, even if we are gone for the day, my keys are usually in my truck. It's only in the city that I even consider locking the doors, and even that I leave it open while shopping 99% of the time. it is rare that I even take my keys out of the ignition if I am just running in for something... or given our weather, even shut it off.

ladyhk13
01-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Ditto!

Well heck, ya only live around the corner from us....and yet I never get to see ya'll. Hmmmmmm.

Domeguy
01-14-2015, 10:58 PM
What time will the chicken soup be ready? With real chicken...and real soup!

Sniper-T
01-15-2015, 12:42 AM
And kitty po-boys on the side???

Domeguy
01-15-2015, 01:44 AM
Now you listen up you big mean nasty man, you have got my dander up! Ok...I don't like dogs...so there!http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/gantsum/14d4a2dcf4204fe119e4d741d88d8b70_zps175d7c23.jpg

Sniper-T
01-15-2015, 01:48 AM
^ now that is a douche!

I prefer:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SvkZMJtIu_A/TY9Aolef6aI/AAAAAAAAAKA/8ccdlI6kkFE/s1600/black_wolf.jpg

nom...nom...nom...

Domeguy
01-15-2015, 02:17 AM
Here doggy doggy. Nice doggy...would the nice doggy like me to pat his head.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sniper-T
01-15-2015, 02:44 AM
Exactly... here kitty kitty, here kitty....

nom...nom...nom...

Socalman
01-15-2015, 03:37 AM
Given the recent events in France and today's arrest of someone planning to shoot up Washington DC I think EVERYONE needs to have good SA. I work in what I think would be a high-profile target for terrorists. While I do not have a carry permit (almost impossible for a resident of Los Angeles County to get) I do have my .357 in my vehicle. Calif. laws are pretty ridiculous when it comes to firearms. Unless the SreallydoesHTF, I will remain law-abiding. It is unloaded but I have 4 speed loaders legally far enough away and it will not take me too long to bring those two together.

At home the 12ga. is loaded with 00 buck and ready to use. If things start to get really ugly several other firearms will get loaded and be ready to use.

mitunnelrat
01-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Now you listen up you big mean nasty man, you have got my dander up! Ok...I don't like dogs...so there

I do. They taste great!

Sniper-T
01-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Puppy-wiches:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SIabd6fmP2w/TE1meV2YNPI/AAAAAAAAAE8/ncRXqYRkprc/s1600/dog_meat_8.jpg

mitunnelrat
01-15-2015, 07:14 PM
I almost hate to admit it, but that doesn't look as good as a cat-wich...

mitunnelrat
01-15-2015, 07:43 PM
And now, since I'm a killjoy, I'm gonna lean a little closer to being on topic and say I had a conversation on current events with a coworker living in a Detroit suburb - after a lifetime in the city itself. His response is he would just head my way, because I'll have food.

Any guesses how the rest of that conversation played out?

bacpacker
01-15-2015, 11:28 PM
I can't imagine that ended well for him!

Sniper-T
01-16-2015, 12:14 AM
Does he have any skills to offer? Besides the obvious digestive abilities?

I know my neighbour will have no food or water to offer, but I would share mine with him and his mostly useless family, just because of what skills and abilities he has. No question about it!

mitunnelrat
01-16-2015, 08:30 AM
It didn't end badly, though not to his satisfaction either. I laughed and told him there isn't much, if he can even make it here, because I know the farmers between us will have different ideas under such circumstances,

T, he doesn't that I'm aware of, and I've known him since 2005, or my response would have been different.

yokel
01-18-2015, 10:48 AM
I live on the very edge of a small English market town, its very quiet here with little or no crime, we are a long way from any of the large or major cities, out in the English countryside, however a few years ago there were major riots in London, you may have heard of this, I believe this will show us how certain parts of UK society will behave.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-19-2015, 02:52 AM
Given the recent events in France and today's arrest of someone planning to shoot up Washington DC I think EVERYONE needs to have good SA. I work in what I think would be a high-profile target for terrorists. While I do not have a carry permit (almost impossible for a resident of Los Angeles County to get) I do have my .357 in my vehicle. Calif. laws are pretty ridiculous when it comes to firearms. Unless the SreallydoesHTF, I will remain law-abiding. It is unloaded but I have 4 speed loaders legally far enough away and it will not take me too long to bring those two together.

At home the 12ga. is loaded with 00 buck and ready to use. If things start to get really ugly several other firearms will get loaded and be ready to use.

Granted I understand some people gotta live somewhere, but that would not be in my top ten. Keep your chin up and your head on swivel there "Socal" always have a contingency.

Sniper-T
01-19-2015, 10:31 AM
I came accross this in my files... I am sure it was posted here before, but seems relevant in this discussion especially for some new members...

A Letter for those door crashers before TSHTF

I'm too well known as the outdoorsy type and a shooter. I have let the ones that I expect to show up, know on no uncertain terms that they will bring something to the party and I expect them to pull their weight. These are also the same people that know me quite well, and know that I am deadly serious about the safety and well being of my family. I am lucky that in the fact that most of the people I choose to aquaint myself with have skills to bring, along with the "shred of common sense" I view as a large bonus.

This list is an excellent guideline, just in need of 'polish' to the individuals priorities.

In the Event of a Disaster, the Following is Provided So You Will Know What is Expected of You Should You Decide to Come to My House

YOU WILL NEED TO BRING:

1. CLOTHING - Nothing fancy - just good, sturdy, easy care clothes. We will probably have to wash by hand and dry on a line, so plan accordingly. There will be no dry cleaning available. Also, bring rain gear.

2. PLAIN BLEACH AND OTHER CLEANERS - Plain bleach will be used in water purification as well as general cleaning. More people means more cleaning to keep a healthy environment.

3. FOOD - No explanation needed.

4. BEDDING OR SLEEPING BAG - I have floor space - not bed space. I also have two dogs who think anything on the floor is theirs! No, I will not put them outside.

5. WEAPONS, AMMO, FISHING GEAR - There will come a time when we will have to hunt and fish for our food. Weapons and ammo will be locked up for safety.

6. PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE(S), FIRST AID SUPPLIES - You will need your medicines even in the aftermath of a disaster. Be sure to bring plenty because it may be a long time before you get more. Bring all first aid supplies even if it is just a box of band aids.

7. PAPER TOWELS, TOILET PAPER, TRASH BAGS - No explanation needed.

8. SOAP, SHAMPOO, TOOTHPASTE, ETC. - You will need to keep yourself clean.

9. BOARD GAMES, CARDS, A BOOK OR TWO - These will be used during a little downtime before bed or during any other free time that may come available. There may not be any electricity, so don't plan on just watching movies or playing video games.

10. ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF TO HELP MAKE LIFE AFTER DISASTER A LITTLE MORE ENJOYABLE.

PLEASE NOTE: EVERYTHING EXCEPT CLOTHING, BEDDING AND PRESCRIPTIONS WILL GO INTO HOUSE STORES FOR EVERYONE'S USE.

YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO WORK FOR THE HOUSE EACH DAY. THE FOLLOWING LIST IS TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF EACH PERSON. THE WORK INVOLVED WILL DEPEND ON THE NEEDS OF THE HOUSE.

1. DAILY CHORES - These will include, but not be limited to, cooking the meals and cleaning up afterward, washing clothes and hanging out to dry, sweeping the floors, cleaning the bathrooms.

2. HUNTING AND FISHING, AS NEEDED - This will also include cleaning the kill or catch, filleting as needed, and preparing for cooking. The hides will also have to be scraped, salted, and stretched to tan. Sewn together, even small hides can be used to make clothes.

3. GARDENING, AS SEASON ALLOWS - This will include, but not be limited to, starting seeds inside in late winter, tilling ground, planting outside, weeding, watering, and harvesting. We may even can or dry any extra vegetables should the crop be good.

4. HAUL WATER AND PURIFY IT - The water will need to be purified before it can be used.

5. CHOP OR GATHER FIREWOOD - When the propane runs out, or to supplement it to make it last longer, we'll cook outside on an open fire, weather permitting. We will have to heat our water this way for washing dishes, general cleaning, bathing, etc.

AND ANY OTHER TASK REQUIRED TO HELP THE HOUSE SURVIVE.

REMEMBER - NO WORK - NO EAT - NO EXCEPTIONS!!

THIS IS SURVIVAL - NOT CLUB MED!

Stormfeather
01-20-2015, 05:04 AM
Im definitely borrowing this if you dont mind and posting it to my social circle here who thinks they are just going to come my way and Iwill take care of them!!!

ladyhk13
01-20-2015, 06:31 AM
And don't forget if you have animals to have a supply of food for them as well. I have bags I put in the sucky machine with several meals worth for the dogs and the cat (need to rotate...oops), I also actually have board games, card games, crayons and coloring books since I know there may be people that show up with children. I kept my sons Legos and matchbox cars and other toys which I can pull out if needed.

I know that people should bring everything they need for themselves but if shtf and its a true emergency in which they have to leave immediately, I hope that I can make their lives a little easier in a crappy situation. These won't be strangers and I know they will come with their own skills and kids are important to keep happy.

Socalman
05-16-2015, 02:55 PM
One item I continually think about is security of the "home base." As civil unrest grows and the mobs move into the suburbs what will happen? I feel fairly confident in our ability to defend when we know they are coming. What happens at 0300 when we are sleeping? I have toyed with various sorts of warning systems that do not require electricity to work but so far everything I think of has a major flaw. The area where we live has coyotes and mountain lions so nobody allows the animals out at night so that is not an option.

IF we had enough people, it would be possible for round the clock watch but unless other family were to show up there are just the 2 of us.
Some neighbors can be counted on and we could have a neighborhood watch 24/7. We are fortunate that there is only one way into our area unless a mob comes down from the hills.

Suggestions on how your would handle security in this situation?

Illini Warrior
05-17-2015, 12:44 PM
One item I continually think about is security of the "home base." As civil unrest grows and the mobs move into the suburbs what will happen? I feel fairly confident in our ability to defend when we know they are coming. What happens at 0300 when we are sleeping? I have toyed with various sorts of warning systems that do not require electricity to work but so far everything I think of has a major flaw. The area where we live has coyotes and mountain lions so nobody allows the animals out at night so that is not an option.

IF we had enough people, it would be possible for round the clock watch but unless other family were to show up there are just the 2 of us.
Some neighbors can be counted on and we could have a neighborhood watch 24/7. We are fortunate that there is only one way into our area unless a mob comes down from the hills.

Suggestions on how your would handle security in this situation?

you need to barricade your neighborhood .... you'll need cooperation from the majority to get it done - bound to have a few stupid as sin leftist minded people that refuse/don't recognize the danger ...

two things you can count on with rioters/looters .... biggest cowards around - they attack in groups and only the defenseless .... #2 lazy as sin - even in looting they'll go for the eaziest damn way possible ....

if the road is blocked to the looter's car and even one guy is standing there armed - in their minds eazier pickings down the road .... proven tactic over the years and around the world .... the Brits held off the rampaging looters with push brooms a few years ago ....

Kesephist
11-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Two things you can count on with rioters/looters .... biggest cowards around - they attack in groups and only the defenseless .... #2 lazy as sin - even in looting they'll go for the eaziest damn way possible ....

Principle of least effort/Low hanging fruit. Although rioters, under 'community organizers', are getting sophisticated. Outer ranks of unarmed and likely unknowing sheep, inner section gangbangers etc. Sheeple shields. I'd go into tactics on how to counter, but that isn't the purview of this thread.

If the road is blocked to the looter's car and even one guy is standing there armed - in their minds eazier pickings down the road .... proven tactic over the years and around the world .... the Brits held off the rampaging looters with push brooms a few years ago ....

John Bull is the absolutely most likeable sort. Push him, though, and he will push back.

Back OT though... and liable to get scorched for this (zipping up Nomex) Deadweight needs to be gotten rid of as quickly and efficiently as possible. I question the utility of banishment if said deadweight knows too much of the ins and outs of BOL routine, layout or resources. Damned sure keeping him a prisoner is an option only to very large MAGs that have the manpower, facilities, resources and inclination to deal with prisoners.

Judge Lynch only sleeps in this country. WTSHF, he will be awake and very busy.

Kesephist

ladyhk13
11-27-2015, 02:28 AM
I'm a hermit, so there's that........and as some of you can personally attest, I tend to be both overly-cautious and overly-armed.........

I have kicked the situational awareness up a few notches...

Ha! You're a social butterfly!!

ladyhk13
11-27-2015, 02:36 AM
you need to barricade your neighborhood .... you'll need cooperation from the majority to get it done - bound to have a few stupid as sin leftist minded people that refuse/don't recognize the danger ...

two things you can count on with rioters/looters .... biggest cowards around - they attack in groups and only the defenseless .... #2 lazy as sin - even in looting they'll go for the eaziest damn way possible ....

if the road is blocked to the looter's car and even one guy is standing there armed - in their minds eazier pickings down the road .... proven tactic over the years and around the world .... the Brits held off the rampaging looters with push brooms a few years ago ....

Great Peranease (sp) dogs are perfect alarms and will also stand up to any predator you have in the area. Maybe an option?

Kesephist
11-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Great Peranease (sp) dogs are perfect alarms and will also stand up to any predator you have in the area. Maybe an option?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyrenees