PDA

View Full Version : making pliers from wood

Sniper-T
01-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Neat, but not sure of the capabilities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RFEY--Gp1D8

ElevenBravo
01-06-2015, 12:58 AM
OMG, he committed a sin hammering on the knife, or so the hardcore "bushhippies" would whine about...

Thats a nifty rainy day project to showcase your skills, but it only gives me minimum wow factor...

You want wow factor? How about THIS project.... AND the guy has all his fingers... still!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo

Sniper-T
01-06-2015, 01:25 AM
meh... too small and 'woody' to eat...
:)

besides the obvious ^... WoW!!!

robsdak
01-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Neat, but not sure of the capabilities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RFEY--Gp1D8

it was a cool video when i saw it. very talented man.

OMG, he committed a sin hammering on the knife, or so the hardcore "bushhippies" would whine about...

Thats a nifty rainy day project to showcase your skills, but it only gives me minimum wow factor...

You want wow factor? How about THIS project.... AND the guy has all his fingers... still!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo

EB, there is a difference between skill and talent. just saying. besides two very different skill sets. as far as 'batoning' that blade, he did it correctly, well should have used wood instead of a hammer.

"bushhippies" i might resemble that remark. LMAO!!!

wow factor? really? the one is just compound cutting on a bandsaw, only real impressive thing is he is doing it with speed. the other is doing it from one piece of wood. both are pretty impressive too me.

eagle326
01-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Mooney Warther did the pliers as a novelty. His true craft was a master carver of locomotives of various ages to the most infinite detail.
His museum is in Dover ; Ohio. I've been there 3 times in my 64 years . Latest was my 62nd. birthday as as surprise from daughter and wife. I got another pocket watch w/ locomotive etched on it as a gift.

Pull him up on internet and see how a man of very little education became a world renowned carver. Made his own carving tools and even made knives for kitchen use ; which is still made today.

His collection was valued as priceless and if you ever get the chance to view it you will be truly awe struck by the free- hand detail. But then I live 30 minutes away and can go whenever my soul needs a lift as to what one can do if they imagine and believe in it.

Eagle

ElevenBravo
01-06-2015, 02:26 AM
Hold on, the OP's video is in it's own right a proper display of skill. I may have derailed the OP's thread with my silly antics but I in now way was making a comparison.

On the sarcastic remark on batoning, it was not directed to the operator in the video.. but rather to make fun of the "Oh Noz, Never Baton" crowd.

Thats all, nothing else.. Matter of fact, forget I was here... :0

robsdak
01-06-2015, 03:31 AM
Hold on, the OP's video is in it's own right a proper display of skill. I may have derailed the OP's thread with my silly antics but I in now way was making a comparison.

On the sarcastic remark on batoning, it was not directed to the operator in the video.. but rather to make fun of the "Oh Noz, Never Baton" crowd.

Thats all, nothing else.. Matter of fact, forget I was here... :0

EB, buddy... slow your roll. no need in getting all twisted up. i wasn't calling you out. see, sometimes i hate the interweb, we/you/i have no way of knowing 'how' something is said. i meant no ill will in what i said. some was tongue in cheek. sorry if i offended.

Sniper-T
01-06-2015, 09:31 AM
And here I just thought it was cool and wanted to share, little did I realize the maelstorm that would ensue...

eagle326
01-06-2015, 11:18 AM
And here I just thought it was cool and wanted to share, little did I realize the maelstorm that would ensue...

I think both videos are cool. Both have a very good skill set . The band saw guy still has me wondering how it's done. :confused: As sometimes happens humor doesn't translate well from one's mind to the key board.

David is Mooney's son and I don't think dad would have used a hammer either. :eek: Mooney was very peticular about his tools. I got to converse with him during a tour as a young man when he was still carving and he was a wealth of knowledge if you were interested in his craft.
He always made time to speak to people there and gave them insights to his hobby and how it was done. If I remember right he started carving arond 2:45 in the A.M. for so many hours ; then a nap and back to carving a few more hours. The rest of the day was for family time and tours.

bacpacker
01-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Both guys were very impressive. The speed the bandsaw guy used was amazing. I would be popping blades left and right. The carver knows his shit to be that precise. The museum sounds like it's worth a visit.

robsdak
01-06-2015, 01:40 PM

wasn't my intention. my bad...:)

The band saw guy still has me wondering how it's done. :confused: As sometimes happens humor doesn't translate well from one's mind to the key board.

to answer the question Eagle, it's called compound cutting. it's easy to do, just not at 'lighting speed'. i can/have done it on a scroll saw. matter of fact, made the same reindeer he did. just smaller, slow and with a pattern. Winfield Collection sells the patterns.

second thought, that's what i was trying to say. i say what is on my mind and know how i said and and meant it, others have a hard time. it's all good. :)

ElevenBravo
01-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Its good Rob..

I just wanted to make sure my my post wasnt out of line, or upset anyone, etc.. Sometimes I make a post and when I look at it later it seams it could be taken out of context, maybe because of my wording, etc.. I do like that sometimes!

I got friends here, and am mindful to walk in peace... if that makes sense.

EB

eagle326
01-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Its good Rob..

I just wanted to make sure my my post wasnt out of line, or upset anyone, etc.. Sometimes I make a post and when I look at it later it seams it could be taken out of context, maybe because of my wording, etc.. I do like that sometimes!

I got friends here, and am mindful to walk in peace... if that makes sense.

EB

All is good brother ; we understood your intent. That's what makes this site different than the others.

Sniper-T
01-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Yep, we may get sidetracked, we may get confused, and we may even get discombobulated... but we don't get mean nor disrespectful. And yeah, that's a GREAT thing about this site!

Well... maybe a little mean against cats, maybe, just a little...

;)

Kesephist
04-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Thought that was a froe, not a knife.

Eh.

jamesneuen
04-09-2016, 12:54 AM
He was using it as you would a froe but it looked like a plain jane knife to me. The froe's I have seen were for making shingles and kindling like this one https://www.lehmans.com/p-686-lehmans-own-old-fashioned-froe.aspx

That being said I watched this when ST first posted it and I still find it crazy impressive. I really want to try and do it but I think I would carve my fingers making some of the cuts that he did. Even on something as soft as basswood.