01-09-2015, 05:39 PM
tried and trusted recipe #1:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch salt

dump the flour on the counter in a pile and hollow it out like a volcano
crack the egg into the volcano, add oil and salt.

Using a fork or small whisk, whisk around and around the inside of the vocano first to mix the ingredients and then by slowly making bigger circles, to incorporate the flour. Once everything is mixed toss the fork and knead by hand to form a nice ball. Let rest for 15-20 minutes, and it's ready to roll out.

Vodin
01-09-2015, 09:53 PM
I will definitely try this out.. well ok.. I will pass this on to my wife and have her give it a shot. I am only a grill chef..

YES!! I just got the give it a go.. but not this weekend..

bacpacker
01-10-2015, 03:15 AM
Thanks T. We will give this a try. I love some good pasta

Sniper-T
01-10-2015, 03:59 AM
For the health conscious, you can go up to about 1/3 cup whole wheat flour to 2/3 white flour. Any more than that and the pasta gets heavy and kinda gritty.

To impart some flavour, add a tsp of Italian seasoning to the volcano before whisking (if it has salt in the seasoning, cut out the pinch).

To add some colour/flavour, cut the water down to 3/4 cup and add 1/4 cup spinach juice. or same volume of tomato juice.

If you like some zing, add a pinch of cayenne or similar, or your fav. hot sauce.

Note: when you start running it through the machine (widest setting) make sure the machine, and the dough is well floured, you cant really have too much. once you get a strip, it will probably look like shit with holes... fold it in half and run it through again, and again. once you have a nice strip, then crank the dial one tighter and roll again. repeat until desired thickness. you may want to start cutting the strip shorter to make it more manageable.

Note: I usually cut the dough ball into quarters, and do one piece at a time.

note, on the machine, thickness wise:
setting #1: will be for vermicelli
#2: spaghetti
#3: fettuccini/ lasagne noodles. I also like #3 for ravioli and perogy dough, as it has enough oomph to fold and pinch
#4: pizza pops/meat pies/pizza crusts
#5/6: Same as 4, if you like thicker crust.

* these doughs, as a pizza crust will not rise, but will bake nice and crispy!!

Note: Once you have your pasta cut to what you want (spag, fettuccini, etc) give it one last light dusting of flour, just so you can pile it up/play with it without it sticking together; and then leave it on the counter to set for 10-15 minutes. If you drop it into the water right away it'll stick together and form a doughy ball. I usually make my pasta first, then put the water on to boil. once the water boils, the pasta is ready to add.

Note: Instead of boiling it, you can hang it on a drying rack and dry it for storage, or dehydrate it.

Note: for lasagne, if my sauce is bubbly hot, I will put the pasta layers down raw, and let them cook in the oven while it is heating/melting the cheese. If my sauce is cooler, or if I am making the lasagnes for the freezer, I will pre-boil the pasta first, but just enough for it to firm up (3 minutes-ish) any longer and it is tough to work with (too soft) and it'll get kind mushy when you do cook it.

eta: can you tell that fresh pasta is kind of a big thing around here?? lol.

bacpacker
01-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Sounds like you eat lots of pasta. How about posting up your favorite prog receipe? I've always wanted to try it.

ElevenBravo
01-10-2015, 01:18 PM
wait... I gotta have a machine???

Sounds like something I want to try already!

Sniper-T
01-10-2015, 03:29 PM
nope, don't need a machine, just makes things easier. A rolling pin and a knife will work, but your pasta prob wont be cut uniformly.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you eat lots of pasta. How about posting up your favorite prog receipe? I've always wanted to try it.

New, perogy thread started.

ladyhk13
01-11-2015, 06:04 AM
What about egg noodles? We eat tons of those!

Sniper-T
01-11-2015, 06:37 AM
Recipe #2 - Egg Noodles:

2 cups flour
3 egg yolks
1 egg
pinch salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup water

Make dough the same way as above.

You can also use an electric mixer with dough hooks if preferred.

Note: Add water slowly, bit at a time so you don't get it too wet. Easy to do with this one depending on the size of the eggs/yolks

ladyhk13
01-11-2015, 08:00 PM
I like this thread... So far no cat ingredients!

Sniper-T
01-11-2015, 08:37 PM
That will come with the ravioli filling recipes...

robsdak
01-11-2015, 09:32 PM
I like this thread... So far no cat ingredients!

wait for it...... and wa-la. there it is. :)

sure, sure, you have too wait for the fillings. kinda hard to hide cat in the pasta. LOL!

ladyhk13
01-20-2015, 03:55 AM

I like my ravioli filled with just cheese so I'm immune to your cat antics.

robsdak
01-20-2015, 04:29 AM
I like my ravioli filled with just cheese so I'm immune to your cat antics.

now would that 'cat's milk cheese'? :)

ladyhk13
01-20-2015, 06:35 AM
No, my cat meows!

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone made crust for chicken pot pie using a kitchenaid attachment?

Sniper-T
01-20-2015, 11:21 AM
NO, but I regularly make them out of phyllo pastry...

realist
01-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Your recipes can't be right, they look to easy! There has got to be a way to make it harder. Now the machine you are using is one that is electric or is it one of the hand crank ones? I gotta try this out. Do you really make raviolis too? I would imagine they are just as easy only taking more time?

Lady do you have the attachment? We are looking into buying one.

Sniper-T
01-26-2015, 03:47 PM
They are that easy. I have the hand crank one just like the one displayed in LH picture. I don't have a ravioli attachment yet, so I roll out a long sheet, place a table spoon of filling about every three inches down the middle and then fold the dough over to make a long lumpy snake (Think of a boa constrictor with 8-10 cats in him). use a wooden spoon to press down between the fillings and then cut. make sure the edges are all sealed and you got ravioli!

Best part of this is that you can use whatever your heart desires for fillings... get creative!

realist
01-26-2015, 03:56 PM
That sounds great and easy. So to turn them green you just use spinach juice, is that all they do? So I guess you could use beet juice to turn them red? Can you send me a good recipe for the cat filling? Do you like them spicy???

Sniper-T
01-26-2015, 04:19 PM
or just tomato juice, unless you wanted beet flavoured ravioli. Although that might be nice with a spring veggie mix...

Cat filling:

2 cups medium ground cat meat (coarse grind for kittens)
1 large egg
1/2 cup crushed crackers
1/2 cup brie or other soft cheese
1/4 cup diced shallots
1/4 cup diced celery
1/8 cup your favourite hot pepper (this will determine the heat level)
1/2 tsp of each: Oregano, Sage, Thyme
salt/pepper to taste.

Mix everything together until uniformly blended and let sit for a couple hours.

after the ravioli's are formed you can do a little creative trimming and folding to give them ears and lightly scratch a face on them (careful not to puncture)

Basically like this:

http://www.pxleyes.com/images/tutorials/submissionsteps/fullsize/1493_step24_4ade1bcadae07.jpg

realist
01-26-2015, 05:25 PM
LMAO Thanks I will try it tonight......

Sniper-T
01-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Take Pics!

Sniper-T
01-28-2015, 02:29 PM
And... how did it turn out?