PDA

View Full Version : Perogies

Sniper-T
01-10-2015, 03:28 PM
My fav:
1 quart dry cottage cheese
3 quarts mashed potatoes (about 5 pounds raw)
1 egg (raw)
I onion
1/2 pound bacon
salt pepper, to taste

boil 6-8 pounds peeled white potatoes until done and mash
Dice bacon and fry until done, but not quite crisp, drain well and place on paper towels to rid oil/grease
dice onion and fry until soft
dump the cottage cheese into a large mixing bowl and with a potato masher, crush them up.
add rest of ingredients and mix well.

Mrs. Sniper's fav:
10 pounds white potatoes
1 cup cheese whiz
1 cup shredded old cheddar
1/2 pound of bacon
salt/pepper, to taste

Peel, boil drain and mash the potatoes, mix in the rest of the ingredients including bacon cooked like previous.

I like to make the fillings the day before and leave it in the fridge overnight to marry the flavours, but you can use it right away too.
make your dough and roll it out, and then using a large drinking glass cut out circles. place a tablespoon of filling in the middle of the circle and then pinch the edges together tight. repeat until all filling is gone.
get a large pot of water just boiling and add a little oil, and drop the perogies in while you stir the water, boil your perogies gently until they float. remove from water and brush with melted butter on a tray. Repeat.
Note: They are ready to eat like this, or they can be fried up and served with additional bacon and onions.

Sniper-T
01-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Perogy Dough:

Sniper's Mom's recipe:
5 cups white flour
1 egg
1 tsp salt
warm water

Combine flour and salt into a bowl. Break egg into 8 oz cup - add warm water to fill cup. Pour into flour mixture and add 1 additional cup of warm water. Mix well then knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.

bacpacker
01-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks T. I think we will give these a try. Sounds go9d.

Metrocruiser
01-15-2015, 12:55 AM
yes those sound yummy

Sniper-T
01-15-2015, 01:38 AM
When I have a chance, I'll post up a couple more recipes. I have my Great gramma's Sauerkraut recipe, and a Sniper developed original Mushroom one that I've been working on for 30+ years. (it's a crowd pleaser)

Anyone else... please post your recipes too!