PDA

View Full Version : "Bulletproof" coffee

mitunnelrat
01-13-2015, 03:58 PM
I just made my first cup this morning. Its very good.

16 ounces coffee
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp coconut oil

Many advocates of this go full-on, fresh ground, french pressed coffee, and add variables such as cocoa, caramel, heavy whipping cream for taste. I justs used what I had on hand, pre-ground french vanilla flavored coffee. Caramel would have mimiced the creamer I've been using, and I want some now.

You have to blend it until frothy, and as a test I used my spill-proof cup and a blender ball. No mess, no noise, and fast.

Its been described as having appetite suppressing effects, and so far so good there as well.

So far, I am sold.

Sniper-T
01-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Juan Valdez just cried a little...

lol
Other than the coconut, it sounds interesting

mitunnelrat
01-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Lol! I live in a vulgar household, so I'll share the standard tongue-in-cheek response to various things that sounds harsher than its ever meant...

Fuck Juan Valdez! ;) Lol

On a more serious note, you can't taste the coconut at all if that's what you're thinking.

I forget now why its added though. I'll have to look it up again and update here. I do remember it is a natural ingredient vs. artificial like many creamers, so given my source on this I know that plays a role in its use. Its also why I need to get away from flavored coffee, so I'll have to tweak this some as I go.

I'm hoping it works for me as others describe, and extends my fasting period. With winter in full scream here I haven't been as active and also get more inclined to "feel" hungry and snack through the morning. Its a little change I can make (amongst others)to an existing habit to be a little smarter and healthier about things.

ElevenBravo
01-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Not the best cup of java (like fresh ground, etc) but.. Ive grown found of the single serve packs that are like tea bags... Im the only one to drink coffee so that works best.

We have the Kurig at work, Ill buy the containers from the stand, thats a pretty decent cup of coffee.

I cant drink coffee much, I have UC (https://www.google.com/search?q=ulcerative+colitis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) and coffee aggravates the condition, plus its a natural laxative anyway.

The butter part sounds interesting...

EB

Sniper-T
01-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Sounds like the same type of response as in my house. lol

It isn't a taste thing, it is an allergy. What goes down... shall come back up.

mitunnelrat
01-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Oh, well that's a whole different scenario then! I'll keep an eye out for alternate recipes if you'd like.

EB, I am a budding coffee snob. I have a grinder, and there was nothing better than fresh espresso before I broke my pot. It made one cup for me ;) My crowning moment was refining it to a point 2 cups kept me awake and alert for 3 days. That may have been partially mental, but after the first 24 hours I had to see, and duplicated it.

These days I go for a more mellow approach. Its too bad you can't indulge more. It truly is a resilient brew!

Sniper-T
01-13-2015, 05:40 PM
I have a similar brew that I make as a special treat every sunday morning... almost identical actually:

16 Oz coffee
2 Oz Kahlua
1 Oz Baileys
1 Oz dark Rum

:cool:

ElevenBravo
01-13-2015, 06:37 PM
T's recipe just made my mouth water!!!

bacpacker
01-13-2015, 11:57 PM
I have a similar brew that I make as a special treat every sunday morning... almost identical actually:

16 Oz coffee
2 Oz Kahlua
1 Oz Baileys
1 Oz dark Rum

:cool:

The wife is now drooling!

Sniper-T
01-14-2015, 12:04 AM
yum yum!
that's what gets me through my 14 hour days, 6 day/ week work weeks!

brew, mix, pour, drink... repeat as necessary!

mitunnelrat
01-14-2015, 03:48 AM
Yeah yeah... Its nice, but... You stole my thunder!

Lol

Not that I mind. i'm gonna try your recipe myself. Izzy called me "Norm" once for a reason...

Cheers!

Sniper-T
01-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Sorry Pal!

So, butter and coconut, you say...

mitunnelrat
01-14-2015, 11:51 AM
No, I say no coconut for you, but maybe coconut rum for myself

Katrina
01-28-2015, 05:09 AM
MT I's allergic to coconuts (pineapple and nanners:() , any alternative? I find a Bolthouse protein drink keeps me full so I don't snack in the AM. I am very picky about my coffee even if I "pollute" it as my FIL used to say.Cream and sugar,(Half & Half and a sugar substitute, xylitol), please. But I do drink my tea black and strong enough to curl your teeth. English grandmother;)

realist
01-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Kahula and brandy and if you whip creme, I'm cutting down on my fats so it is Kahula and brandy.

mitunnelrat
01-28-2015, 02:37 PM
I think the coconut oil could even just be omitted, actually.

Sniper-T
01-28-2015, 02:43 PM
I was thinking that, but I didn't want to steal your thunder, again...

;)

mitunnelrat
01-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Lol

Kesephist
06-14-2015, 08:18 AM

16 Oz coffee
2 Oz Kahlua
1 Oz Baileys
1 Oz dark Rum

substitute the baileys and rum with 2 oz of Sambucca, perhaps?

As always, I may be contacted at oldvegasfox@reagan.com

bourneshooter
06-14-2015, 11:23 PM
I try to do this at least once a week, sometimes 3 times.

I do a fresh grind of a dark roast bean then do a strong french press with it. I do a heaping literal tablespoon of coconut oil and a 1/2" thick slice (narrow ways) of Kerry Gold Irish butter.

Blend and enjoy.

The benefits of "Bulletproof" coffee are always up for debate on a science level. I do feel like its better for me than a non Bulletproof kick to start the day though. YMMV.

mitunnelrat
06-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Its been a while because I havent made the run to the city for more kerrygold, but I definitely like it better myself.