PDA

View Full Version : One thing I have noticed in movies, books, SHTF media programs

Domeguy
01-18-2015, 02:13 AM
I shut off my satellite radio in my truck two years ago because I just didn't listen to it. With my neck problems, I haven't been able to read very much. But after I discovered Audio books, I have been hooked. Any time I am in my truck, I have a book running. I've listened to close to 100 in the past year or two. They are about 80% SHTF related, and in all of these disasters, be they EMP, medical nightmare run a muck, or zombie apocalypse related, it's the same as in all the the movies. Everyone is searching for supplies, either from a ransacked Walmart, major sporting goods store, local Zipee mart, to Old Man Johnson's farm. No one ever finds, looks for, or uses any reloading supplies. You break into my place, you walk out with over 1000 rounds...yahoo...major score. But if you look a little closer, you find the supplies to make another 5000-10,000 that you missed, waa-waa...major bummer man. Why do you think all the writers miss this?

jamesneuen
01-18-2015, 02:22 AM
general public doesn't know what the hell reloading is. they look to books as entertainment. not ideas.

how many good selling books are written like instruction manuals for when the world ends? would you read an IKEA manual for enjoyment if you didn't need to know how to put the chair together?

Not saying they would have to go into details on it but is a pretty in-depth topic.

At least that's why i think so.

Sniper-T
01-18-2015, 04:56 AM
even if these raiders saw a reloading press, chances are they wouldn't know what it was, how to use it, or care. People only care about emptying never ending magazines, and big dramatic explosions!

realist
01-18-2015, 04:59 AM
I agree most people haven't got a clue about reloading, this includes people who shoot occasionally. All they know it they have been warned about reloads will blow up your gun or they will void your warranty. It is their loss....

Illini Warrior
01-18-2015, 02:41 PM
reloading ammo isn't lost to the anti-gun crowd .... if they ever get their way with closing down weapon sales and begin confiscating anything that shoots - closing down ammo will be included ... they know very well that they can't get all the weapons .... squeezing off the ammo has to be part of their program .... it'll be a felony to have a single loose primer or a gram of powder ....

Domeguy
01-18-2015, 03:53 PM
[QUOTEEveryone is searching for supplies, either from a ransacked Walmart, major sporting goods store, local Zipee mart, to Old Man Johnson's farm. No one ever finds, looks for, or uses any reloading supplies. You break into my place, you walk out with over 1000 rounds...yahoo...major score. But if you look a little closer, you find the supplies to make another 5000-10,000 that you missed, waa-waa...major bummer man. Why do you think all the writers miss this?[/QUOTE

More of what I meant, and I'll use "The Walking Dead" tv show as an example. I would assume to be a survivor of some kind of major problem, you are more than likely to be someone like Darrell or Rick. Someone who has somewhat of a knowledge of what it takes to survive, and has a knowledge of the things needed to get to be able to survive. I would understand if the tv shows, books, and movies were staring the high school home economics cheerleader squad. But they always use people who are supposed to know what they are doing, and know what to look for during a scavenging raid. If the are searching in a major city like Atlanta, I wouldn't expect anyone to find reloading equipment. But when they are searching the rural community in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee, I think you would find a LOT of reloading supplies, and the main characters would be looking for these. And I think the writers are not doing their proper research when they don't realize things like this. I know, I'm just being anal about things like this, but it's the little things like this in books, movies, and TV that just bug the hell out of me.

Daca102090
01-18-2015, 03:59 PM
Getting closer all the time to banning the individual elements of ammunition.
1994 there was talk of ATF looking at requiring primers to deactivate after 10 years thus rendering ammunition time sensitive.
Fortunately that was abandoned because of product safety issues.
I believe that the last U.S. based lead smelter closed last year and as a result prices are expected to go up as well as availability to go down.
There is work going on to make taggants part of all powders so the purchasers can be traced through the batches sold after any ammo is fired.
The last 5 + years it has been hard to pick up various components due to shortages.
California you have to fill out a purchase form with legal ID at the store just to by powder.
Also in CA it is largely illegal to hunt with any lead bearing ammo now.

Gunfixr
01-18-2015, 07:49 PM
That lead plant didn't make lead for projectiles, only car batteries. Projectile lead was already outsourced.

Plus, reloading on the run isn't all its cracked up to be, especially trying to keep up with semiautomatic or full automatic firearms. Then, there's how many different types of powders there are, and that they are not fully interchangeable. Projectiles weights, and different barrels or action systems.
Post SHTF, it would really be complicated.