PDA

View Full Version : American Sniper movie review

robsdak
01-20-2015, 04:26 PM
went to see it with a buddy yesterday. pretty good for what it was. lots of action and true facts about shooting. had a few tender moments and a few serious ones. worth seeing IMHO.

edit: Micheal Moore is a TARD!!! again, just honest opinion.

bacpacker
01-20-2015, 06:35 PM
It's next on my list to see. Figured I'd wait a few weeks for the crowds to drop. Did I mention I hate crowds.

We went to see Unbroken yesterday. It don't quite follow the book, but was a good movie.

ak474u
01-20-2015, 07:17 PM
went to see it with a buddy yesterday. pretty good for what it was. lots of action and true facts about shooting. had a few tender moments and a few serious ones. worth seeing IMHO.

edit: Micheal Moore is a TARD!!! again, just honest opinion.

Somebody tweeted: "you know who the real hero is? The guy who refills the buffet at Golden Corral after Michael Moore comes in to eat"

ElevenBravo
01-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Daughter and I will see AS maybe next weekend.

MM is a diptard libtard, nuff said.

I hope its better than Lone Survivor... The book was good, until after chapter 3 or so.. The bullshit tail he tells is too unbelievable IMHO. I dont think there is an M4 or a human body that can take that many throws off a 40' cliff and survive. Ive seen the M4 break into pieces on the bayonet course and somehow Im supposed to believe its some kind of magical & indestructible weapon (exactly like the AR fan boys want us to think).

Ive known and read of many a soldier that had balls big as a minivan, but for that soldier to step right out into the open and take fire trying to get a call out, I find a bit far fetched... There is no one stupid enough to stand down range on a firing line like that.

I simply find a lot of the story to be BS... as I told the daughter, when your the only one to survive a car crash you can make up any old story since no one will debate you.

Anywho, I hope to see the movie soon, and maybe read the book (cause the book is always 1,000X better than the movie!)

EB

robsdak
01-20-2015, 09:16 PM
It's next on my list to see. Figured I'd wait a few weeks for the crowds to drop. Did I met ion I hate crowds.

We went to see Unbroken yesterday. It don't quite follow the book, but was a good movie.

yeah, not big on crowds either. it was an odd experience, though. at the end, everybody waited to leave until after the credits. kind of neat, i thought. the last bit, well just go see it.

Domeguy
01-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Daughter and I will see AS maybe next weekend.

MM is a diptard libtard, nuff said.

I hope its better than Lone Survivor... The book was good, until after chapter 3 or so.. The bullshit tail he tells is too unbelievable IMHO. I dont think there is an M4 or a human body that can take that many throws off a 40' cliff and survive. Ive seen the M4 break into pieces on the bayonet course and somehow Im supposed to believe its some kind of magical & indestructible weapon (exactly like the AR fan boys want us to think).

Ive known and read of many a soldier that had balls big as a minivan, but for that soldier to step right out into the open and take fire trying to get a call out, I find a bit far fetched... There is no one stupid enough to stand down range on a firing line like that.

I simply find a lot of the story to be BS... as I told the daughter, when your the only one to survive a car crash you can make up any old story since no one will debate you.

Anywho, I hope to see the movie soon, and maybe read the book (cause the book is always 1,000X better than the movie!)

EB

EB, although I respect your opinion, I'm going to have to disagree with you on some of what you say. I agree with you on the gun abuse, and of what the human body can take, but, we were not there. I don't remember the name of the teams leader who went out to make the call, but I have to believe he knew he was going to die anyway, and this is why we have real life heroes among us. There is a reason soldiers receive the congressional Medal of Honor. Some men are just made of better stuff than the rest of us, and I know me. I cried reading the book, and I cried watching the movie. And to say he was stupid enough to stand down range...I cannot express in words. To call any American soldier fighting for his country, who chooses to give his life to save his brothers in arms STUPID is plain and simple wrong.

bacpacker
01-22-2015, 11:43 AM
I have to agree with DG on this one. None of us were there to know for sure what went on. But there are enough records to put together the story.
I do know my BIL, Marine in the 80s, met Luttrell at a talk he gave at their church (unpaid I might add), and felt that he was 100% sincere in what he was telling. Unless more info comes out contributing what he has told, I will take him at his word.
I've never been on a two way range and know for a fact I have NO clue what I would do in that situation.

ElevenBravo
01-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Dont get me wrong, and you know Im not argumentative with the group... but thats just the point I wanted to make, WE werent there... Can I get acknowledgement that there is the possibility (Lone Survivor) that the story COULD be fabricated?

Mind you, Im playing devil's advocate on this with the intent of making sure we maintain enough open mindedness to not just jump to assumptions that everything were told is truth without validation.

My job at work is primarily "quality assurance", it reminds me of our motto... "Trust, but verify". Using that motto, if it cannot be verified, then assume the possibility of alternate explanations.

In this day and time, we are quick to assume that someone political is apt to not tell the truth/full truth, but someone from the military is ABOVE that behavior. I spent 16 years and want to say, just because someone was in uniform they are not somehow magically elevated to above human status... As I am teaching my daughter... QUESTION EVERYTHING, even the stuff *I* tell you!

EB

- - - Updated - - -

OP, I offer apologies if I derailed the thread off topic some, and honestly hope we circle back, I just wanted to speak my mind on the statement I made, and if that direction needs to be expanded I hope it spawn to a new thread for further constructive discussion.

That is all,
EB

robsdak
01-26-2015, 03:02 AM
OP, I offer apologies if I derailed the thread off topic some, and honestly hope we circle back, I just wanted to speak my mind on the statement I made, and if that direction needs to be expanded I hope it spawn to a new thread for further constructive discussion.

That is all,
EB

derail my thread... no not 'you' LOL EB buddy, speak your mind. it's the interwebs. as for 'QUESTION EVERYTHING' goes, i get that to a point.

realist
01-26-2015, 02:14 PM
There was a group of us who went to see it opening Friday it came out. Good flick overall. There were some tards who were complaining they used a fake baby for one of the scenes, get a life. The ending was interesting, to say the least. It was like everyone in the theater was in stunned silence. Even though I knew what happened before watching the movie the ending was good. We have had a couple of our boys come home to be honored the same way with a procession. It is very humbling to participate.

Sniper-T
03-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Saw it yesterday with the wife. It pushed the envelope for killing and gore for her, but overall all a good flick. I really enjoyed it, but then again without a military background I could look at it for what it was, a Hollywood portrayal of an event.

I gotta wonder though, how many more kills could he have gotten had he stayed on the roofs for the entire time instead of coming down and leading the house kickers.

robsdak
03-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Saw it yesterday with the wife. It pushed the envelope for killing and gore for her, but overall all a good flick. I really enjoyed it, but then again without a military background I could look at it for what it was, a Hollywood portrayal of an event.

I gotta wonder though, how many more kills could he have gotten had he stayed on the roofs for the entire time instead of coming down and leading the house kickers.

i had the same thought, but didn't want to ask before most had seen the movie.

Sniper-T
03-10-2015, 06:39 PM
oops... maybe shoulda said 'spoiler alert'

Domeguy
03-11-2015, 07:11 AM
And how many un-confirmed kills were really kill shots.

ElevenBravo
03-12-2015, 12:25 AM
Lil'Bravo and I have NOT seen it yet, I get paid Friday, we may go see it this weekend!

The wife is more into cross stitch and reading, when it comes to SHTF, shes a good support system, and gives me permission to pretty much do what I want (within reason, and within budget).. since, over the 22 years we've been married, she has seen the logic in my ways (Its *NICE* to have lights and heat, in the winter, when everyone else has lost power... 2 days ago, and there still using flashlights. "Wanna watch another DVD honey?")

EB