PDA

View Full Version : Farm fresh eggs

Sniper-T
02-07-2015, 04:42 PM
I just got a line on some again and have a few dozen on the way for Tuesday, including a couple dozen duck eggs and a turkey egg.

I haven't had duck eggs in about 30 years so am really looking forward to them, but I have never tried a turkey egg. Anyone here eat them? Aside from being bigger, any differences? preparation techniques? recipes?

Who does what with any type of eggs? besides the standard fried? First things first I am going to try to medium boil a couple of duck eggs (my old favorite way) so you can peel it like a hard boil, but the yolk is gooey and warm like a soft boil. Anyone have a cook time estimate?

realist
02-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Soft boiled eggs are excellent. We used to raise mallard ducks, the eggs were blue and had a deep blood orange yoke, they were the best. Since we had so many at the time and were always broke my mom would make custards for deserts since it cost almost nothing. You can't beat fresh custards unless you are making creme brulee.

Sniper-T
02-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Got any tried and trusted recipe's? I may be akin to a chef, but not when it comes to dessert!

helomech
02-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Duck eggs are better boiled than chicken eggs. Chicken eggs are better IMO fried than duck eggs. I bring the water to a boil, then cut the heat and leave covered for 14 minutes.

Sniper-T
02-07-2015, 08:11 PM
That's for hard boiled Helo? I'm trying to remember, but I thought it was under ten for the gooey yolk on the duck eggs, but it's been too long

I may have to number a half dozen and try pulling them out at timed intervals to find the sweet spot!

helomech
02-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I never tried to do soft boiled. I like my yolks cooked.

Vodin
02-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Eggs! We get our eggs from a farmer out here. She raises ducks and chickens.

Sorry Sniper-T never had turkey eggs.

Just ran across a technique grilling eggs over easy. I make it to where the yoke is warm and almost coagulating. The secret is simple heat a surface to the desired point (cooking) and cut an onion ring to the height of where it will contain the egg white and yolk. Then crack the egg and dribble the white portion around the inside of the onion ring so it will firm up and plug the area that isnt flush with the heating surface. Flip when it almost reaches the desired consistency and finish the other side. Remove the onion ring or place it on a biscuit with a slice of sausage and enjoy a sausage egg onion biscuit that is way better than Micky D's.

helomech
02-07-2015, 10:49 PM
We had turkey, the eggs IMO taste just like chicken eggs just a lot bigger.

Sniper-T
02-07-2015, 11:23 PM
I do something similar with sweet bell peppers. cut rings about a half inch thick, get them started in a greased pan. crack eggs into a bowl with grated cheese, minced onion, ham, etc... Once the peppers are simmering, fill them with the egg mix, then pour 1/8 cup water into pan around and cover. when eggs are almost done, flip and recover for a coupe minutes.
Serve between whatever, but I like French toast, cooked with taco seasoning and a slice of avocado.

realist
02-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Sniper I don't have any tried and true recipes sorry. You should be able to get a good custard recipe off the internet.

BTW if you truly want a nice omelet, a real hard boiled or soft boiled for that matter try goose eggs, they are huge.

Sniper-T
02-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Yeah! I love goose eggs! it is illegal to collect them in the wild now, same with duck eggs, and those laws drove the price through the roof! My new source is raising ducks for meat, and (thus far) is selling eggs at a decent price. She raises geese in the summer and occasionally sells some eggs, and am looking forward to that.

realist
02-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Well if they just happen to land in your basket you can always say they came from the Easter Bunny.

Sniper-T
02-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Just cause it's illegal to collect them on public land, doesn't mean a few don't nest near by! The trick is watching daily and getting in quick!. The problem is that a 20 pound Canada goose can be a force to be reckoned with whilst protecting their eggs (male and female!)

bacpacker
02-08-2015, 12:58 AM
I have a couple of new egg receipes to try now. Thanks guys, the egg and pepper tricks sounds pretty good and I'm sure taste even better.

Sniper-T
02-08-2015, 01:21 AM
if you like spicy, slice rings of jalapino or serrano, about 1/8" thick, three per bell pepper ring. when you pour your egg in, sink a hot pepper ring into each opening, and cook as outlined above. gives a nice fresh spicy zing.

Depending what you like, I've also done the same with zucchini, eggplant, and once even beets! adjust pre-fry times accordingly!

bacpacker
02-08-2015, 01:41 AM
I love Serranos and always grow a plant or two. That will surely get tried.

Sniper-T
02-08-2015, 01:51 AM
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/37689/grill-pro-stainless-steel-pepper-roasting-rack-for-grill

Dunno if I mentioned... but I got a pepper roaster for xmas,... next trials will be for breakfast, with an egg based filling...

pepper stuffed quiche?

jamesneuen
02-08-2015, 02:23 AM
I have found a foam nerf bat when I was younger stopped even the most persistent goose. We only greased the eggs. Never thought about eating them. To be honest I have only ever had different types of chicken eggs. Do goose and duck taste different?

realist
02-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Yep much better. Can't describe it, you have to try them.

Kesephist
06-14-2015, 08:30 AM
if you like spicy, slice rings of jalapino or serrano, about 1/8" thick, three per bell pepper ring. when you pour your egg in, sink a hot pepper ring into each opening, and cook as outlined above. gives a nice fresh spicy zing.

Depending what you like, I've also done the same with zucchini, eggplant, and once even beets! adjust pre-fry times accordingly!

The beet and egg thing sounds vaguely familiar...I'll dig around.

As always, I may be contacted at oldvegasfox@reagen.com.