PDA

View Full Version : Freezer prep for power outages

slowz1k
02-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Most of you have probably read that Bacpacker was hit by the recent ice storm, and lost power. One of the concerns for many of us, is lost food in the Freezer when the power goes out.
I live in Greensboro NC, and though we don't see much snow, we usually get quite a bit of ice, and the power outages that follow close behind.
One thing that I've found to extend the freezer temperatures a little longer during a power outage, is to keep bottles of water in the freezer.
I use 2 liter soda bottles and 59oz orange juice bottles washed and filled with water to 2 inches below the cap (freeze expansion). I use these bottles to fill up any open spaces in the freezer, reducing the amount of air (which warms quicker) in the freezer.
In essence, making the freezer a big ice cooler, and keeping the door shut as much as possible.
These bottles also double as a backup potable water source if I ever needed them.

If this idea has already been posted, I do apologize.

Edit:::: Dang!!! Probably should have put this under food and water!

Sniper-T
02-19-2015, 03:32 PM
It's been touched on a couple times, but given BP's current status, a reminder is due. Hopefully he can add his input when he has time.

Oh, and I moved it for you.

jamesneuen
02-19-2015, 03:55 PM
I do that currently as I'm in 70 degree winters and my freezer is outside in it. Makes it so much more efficient!!! Only ever turns on like once a day.

Sniper-T
02-19-2015, 04:09 PM
lol. My 'outside' freezer hasn't turned on in 3 months... don't expect it to for another 2.
;)

jamesneuen
02-19-2015, 08:22 PM
ST- you should get a dislike because I WISH I was there.

bacpacker
02-19-2015, 10:15 PM
This is an excellent idea. We do keep some water in our chest freezer. We didn't have any in the upright, but I will be adding some in it as more in the chest. It is a great water storage area.

One thing I think helped keep ours cold enough was the fact they are in the basement. Temps down there has stayed in the mid thirties. Freezers didn't need to work much.

Sniper-T
02-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Careful what you wish for James... My Atomic clock craps out at -40, and it's been off more than on lately.

jamesneuen
02-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Atomic clock? And that's actually kind of exciting to me that you are getting those kind of temps. The lowest I have slept in outside camping is -20 static but I dunno what the wind chill was because it was VERY windy. When I lived in michigan though I kept my bedroom cold enough that a glass of water had frost in it overnight while I slept.

I love everything to do with the cold. I'm dying down here.

ElevenBravo
02-22-2015, 01:58 AM
Im thinking that if he lost power due to ice, it must be cold out, so possibly stow the food outside?

Otherwise a generator is a practical backup.

Last option is to be setup with a propane freezer (http://www.bensdiscountsupply.com/index.aspx). Costly, but uses no juice.

EB

realist
02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
I agree I like propane. I have used it in the past for refrigeration and never had a problem when using propane. When the cabin is done I know it will be spendy but I'm going with propane. Growing up we used to have the freezer under the house, it didn't work as hard. As for -40 degree weather, that's a little toooooooo cold.

helomech
02-23-2015, 02:45 PM
I plan on getting solar for my freezers as soon as possible, but for now we run the generator.

FL-Jeeper
03-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Another use for your idea is to use it notify you if things inside thawed out (either due to absence or simple inattention). Fill a bottle halfway and freeze it on its side then roll it 180 so the ice is on top. You could go a step further and mark the bottle to minimize possibility of error. Next time you get into the freezer check the bottle and make sure the ice is still on top. If it isn't, you had a thaw.

helomech
03-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Or a ice cube in a bowl, or on a plate does the same thing.