PDA

View Full Version : Grey man backpack

MegaCPC
02-20-2015, 04:30 AM
I did some searching but some fresh opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in need of a sturdy medium sized backpack for a GHB. I have a few other setups but they are more of the tactical type, and they would probably scream "shoot me I have cool stuff" in the event I'd have to hoof it home.

Simple criteria here:

Well made and sturdy
No MOLLE webbing, or very minimal
Not in a camo pattern or military color (no coyote, etc, a dark green or grey is my preference)

There are a good amount of options out there that I am looking at but if anyone has any experience or advice, I would be grateful.

Fidel MD
02-20-2015, 10:46 AM
I think the problem with a new pack and your desire to go gray is that the pack will look...new.

Check out garage sales, thrift stores, etc for used, somewhat dirty gear, and blend in even better.

Sniper-T
02-20-2015, 11:38 AM
The Mrs has one like this, and loves it...

http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-774/black-diamond-element-45-backpack-unisex/?f=10+50131+50600

you can always 'dirty' up a bag to make it look less appealing.

Willie51
02-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Mega, check these out. I have the Trail Hiker Backpacks for GHBs and my son and daughter-in-law have the Teton 3400 for him and the
K-Cliffs Castlepine for hers. For the money, all these very well made.

http://beprepared.com/trail-hiker-backpack.html
http://beprepared.com/outdoors/backpacks.html

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-20-2015, 02:43 PM
I think if you find something in a load bearing, durable material, solid color, not overly gaudy, and comfy. Then you should be good to go. Spend the money on durability. Just my roll-a-quarters...........

2die4
02-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Some of the higher end hiking day packs have muted colors and have plenty of pockets for your GHB essentials.

bacpacker
02-20-2015, 11:13 PM
Take a look at Osprey brand backpacks. My wife got one for day hikes. it is one of the most well designed packs I have ran across.

For older used packs, look for Kelty, Jansport, Lowe. I have Kelty and Lowe that I have used for many years, Both are pretty much bomb proof and are well designed and comfortable to carry.

ElevenBravo
02-20-2015, 11:27 PM
There are SEVERAL packs that meet your needs. Not to sound smart, but look for one that cost at least $125 if buying new, then you will be assured no matter the maker it will be a good unit! You want a large padded waist belt, I myself prefer the Alps packs in forrest green because I want my pack to blend... I do not want blue or rust color, etc... Its non tactical, totally civilian but GREY in every sense of the word.

I wear either green or brown denim pants I get from Tractor Supply (Schmit brand I think...), again, non tactical but 100% blend. The only thing I take that is camo is a USGI bivy bag and my USGI USMC field tarp, because once I lay down I want to be low profile.

I also run the Hill People gear bag on my chest, it stows my M&P 40 or 357mag, plus any ditty I want and I clip my GPS (Garman Dakota 20 with topo maps) to it.

You can stay on trail and be like anyone else, or wonder 100 yards and never be detected.

This might be more than you asked for but I thought others might benefit.

EB

jamesneuen
02-21-2015, 06:07 AM
HILL PEOPLE GEAR!!!!! gotta love it but almost all of it has the tacticool look.

My GHB is simply an old school medic field bag. looks like a laptop bag. Nice part is that I sewed straps and a zipper on it so I can wear it like a normal backpack.

Sniper-T
02-21-2015, 02:07 PM
As it is, it isn't very 'greyman' but with a light windbreaker over top, it would be more concealed than any pack and distributes the weight better too...

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Frogg-Toggs-Hellbender-Pack-Vest

robsdak
02-21-2015, 05:15 PM
i know, too much 'tacticool' factor... but check out Maxpedition, they have a new line in grey. yes, i have and use their gear, way tough, nay, BULLETPROOF! if i wasn't already invested in Foliage Green, i would be all over this.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/New-Wolf-Gray-Color-c238.htm

oif0709
02-23-2015, 10:50 AM
The 5.11 covrt has the organization of the rush series but looks just like a student backpack. It's not as well made as the rush and I've gotten over 2 years out of it. The seams on the padding itself have come undone on the straps though I have not got around to calling the company. I bring it to work daily and noone can guess it's got some ghb items in it. I use it when I travel for the military as well, I hate looking like terrorist candy so I do zero military items when I travel.

realist
02-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Both 511 and Blackhawk make quality gear, I have used them both. There is a video out there which shows a guy just walking around a town with one of these packs with an AR inside and no one is the wiser. The big problem with some of the manufacturers of these packs is they put their logos on the exterior so that anyone who knows about them will be able to identify what you are carrying. Just remember you get what you pay so plan on spending over $100.

http://www.511tactical.com/bags-packs/covrt-gear.html

http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Bags-Packs-Tactical-Nylon/Bags-Packs/Diversion%E2%84%A2.aspx

jamesneuen
02-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Realist, I have actually found that removing their logos is rather simple. They usually come in either a patch or embroidered. Just using a stitching puller and an exacto knife I removed the logos off of mine.

Willie51
02-25-2015, 02:58 PM
I did some searching but some fresh opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in need of a sturdy medium sized backpack for a GHB. I have a few other setups but they are more of the tactical type, and they would probably scream "shoot me I have cool stuff" in the event I'd have to hoof it home.

Simple criteria here:

Well made and sturdy
No MOLLE webbing, or very minimal
Not in a camo pattern or military color (no coyote, etc, a dark green or grey is my preference)

There are a good amount of options out there that I am looking at but if anyone has any experience or advice, I would be grateful.

Back to Mega's original post........ Do y'all think it's really necessary to spend over $100.00 on a GHB? I realize there is no exact answer as some folk's "get home scenario" is different than others, especially based on how far home is. Now, for your BOB, that is different as I see it, and you should buy the very best one that you can possibly afford because it's heavier and you might be wearing and living with it for some time.

I have four vehicles and I have GHBs in each (that stay in the vehicles), so I wanted something that was economic, well made, and comfortable to wear that would last for 3 days. I don't take them out every morning and every night. I don't rob from one to another or use for camping, etc., they stay put in the vehicles. They blend in and are packed with a 3 day supply, because 90% of the time, I am within 1 day from home (walking). If I travel, then I carry a much better pack supplied for 7 days or so.

This is not an argument.....just asking everyone's opinion. :cool:

mitunnelrat
02-25-2015, 07:36 PM
I see some good recommendations on specifics and quality already, so I'll juat say I think "tacticool" gets to be less and less of an issue as time passes. Even Walmart carries brands with PALS webbing, to include a navy blue number I just saw with the hiking packs. I think most will escape major scrutiny these days.

I also think predators are gonna target the "haves" based on how easy they perceive a target to be over exact kit anyway, so in a GHB I'd think the lightest, best balanced, most comfortable you can get to aid in movement if SA fails.

robsdak
02-25-2015, 08:11 PM
Back to Mega's original post........ Do y'all think it's really necessary to spend over $100.00 on a GHB? I realize there is no exact answer as some folk's "get home scenario" is different than others, especially based on how far home is. Now, for your BOB, that is different as I see it, and you should buy the very best one that you can possibly afford because it's heavier and you might be wearing and living with it for some time.

I have four vehicles and I have GHBs in each (that stay in the vehicles), so I wanted something that was economic, well made, and comfortable to wear that would last for 3 days. I don't take them out every morning and every night. I don't rob from one to another or use for camping, etc., they stay put in the vehicles. They blend in and are packed with a 3 day supply, because 90% of the time, I am within 1 day from home (walking). If I travel, then I carry a much better pack supplied for 7 days or so.

This is not an argument.....just asking everyone's opinion. :cool:

i think BOB and GHB's are one in the same, i haven't made the distinction as of yet. now before we 'jump on Rob' for saying this, i have a different plan than most. i have resources in 4 different directions. as for the cost of the bags, why not spend as much for one as the other? they serve a purpose? if not, why not just go with the 'homeless look' and carry Walmart bags? :p as for the 'grey man' look, it's 2015 and it's real hard to find a retailer that doesn't sell something without the Molle and MilSpec colors unless you go cheap kids school bags or backpacking bags. besides, around here if your not toting CamelBak, Blackhawk or MaxPed you look out of place.

Willie51
02-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Rob, great points. Since my GHBs are different than my BHBs, I felt by spending $30. each (discounted) on decent quality bags for a total of $120 to go in each vehicle was smart and felt good enough is good enough. I felt it to be the best money spent vs buying 4 bags at $150 each for a total of $600., especially, since they stay in the vehicles until needed (hopefully never). Now, if I had plenty of money to spend, then I would always go with top of the line on everything. I spent more money on our two BHBs that stay at home and are ready to go at all times. One is a Kelty and the other is a Field & Stream, both internal frames.

Also, you guys are right, that around here camo, green, and tans with webbing is in, so they blend in as well. I do like the greys though. :)

robsdak
02-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Rob, great points. Since my GHBs are different than my BHBs, I felt by spending $30. each (discounted) on decent quality bags for a total of $120 to go in each vehicle was smart and felt good enough is good enough. I felt it to be the best money spent vs buying 4 bags at $150 each for a total of $600., especially, since they stay in the vehicles until needed (hopefully never). Now, if I had plenty of money to spend, then I would always go with top of the line on everything. I spent more money on our two BHBs that stay at home and are ready to go at all times. One is a Kelty and the other is a Field & Stream, both internal frames.

Also, you guys are right, that around here camo, green, and tans with webbing is in, so they blend in as well. I do like the greys though. :)

i see where your at, me i have 1 truck too worry about and me, not 4. money would come into play, then. this is where i am at... i have thought long and hard about it. well it's crossed my mind a time or two. :) i am never far from home, usually with in 10 mi. and the route home is a straight line from where ever i am. IF i have to abandon the truck and hoof it, i am not going to be in a position too be trifled with. i have a few places i can stop along the way for safety and rest, BUT i am coming home! i have a Jumbo Versi with a Janus with first aid and a Camelbak Mule (MilSpec) that go everywhere with me and extra water. i can carry what is needed in both to live until i get home, including an overnight stay. i always have 'extra supplies' in the truck. i have no real plans on bugging out away from home, unless the ZOMBIES take over. we are in a fairly secure location.

but, back to the bags. sure, get what is available and in your price range. don't worry what others are doing, most likely in an event, you can walk, run or creep around un-noticed. that is if your in a populated area. me, i just sit and watch...... LMAO!

Willie51
02-25-2015, 11:59 PM
I think you and I are in similar locations and close to each other.....just east of you. I'm in a small town and we just about all know each other. We're not planning on bugging out unless the ice melts and the Gulf rises (Ha!), or too many zombies show up and try to take my food and shelter. Then we have an RV to head for the woods and one day a bug out cabin to go to. :)

ElevenBravo
02-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Just in case it might have gotten missed, GREY is not necessarily the color grey, but to blend in with the surrounding... :cool:

MegaCPC
02-26-2015, 12:27 AM
I want to extend a big thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. I'm in a small mountain town, so hunting camo and fishing vests are pretty commonplace, not to mention ski bags which could easily hold a rifle and a good amount of kit.

I'm going to keep shopping around, hopefully soon I can make a thread detailing what I ended up with.

realist
02-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Mega that is another thing you want to pick you gear by where you live. The camo might not go in the city but in the country that is a different thing. Just like desert camo and woodland don't necessary work in the same areas.

As to the cost of bags I have purchased real good quality bags. If I need them, I want them to be the best because I might not have another chance. I have in the past cut corners and the bags gave out real quick. I know they are not for everyday used. Not only are my bags going to get me to where I want to go but I they are ready for plan B also.

ElevenBravo
02-26-2015, 11:10 PM
I was thinking since I like my ILBE so much, Id stitch up a bag cover from maybe maroon nylon with an elastic band to slip over the bag, cammoing the camo.. until such time as I need the camo and I simply pull the cover off.

Plenty of ideas here...
https://www.google.com/search?q=rucksack+cover&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=m7XvVJmZEoygNuvCgdgG&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1024&bih=471

EB

Sniper-T
02-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Considering your area, your 'grey' might be neon green. The best way to blend in where you are is to look around, see what everyone else has and buy to suit. You can add pouches and velcro to the inside of any bag to organize it or even a full molle setup. from the outside no one would know. For that matter a full molle pack with a nice colourful rain pouch over top could give you the best of both worlds.

MegaCPC
02-27-2015, 01:31 AM
I think I'm going to grab myself a Kelty Peregrine 29 (http://www.kelty.com/p-265-peregrine-29.aspx?category=backpacks) in brown. It seems to be the most suited to my needs. It's not too military looking but retains the utilitarian function. As I said before, I'm in a small mountain town where camo is worn daily, and earth tones are the predominant color of clothing.

This bag is for a worst case scenario where I have to ditch my vehicle and walk the 10 miles back home. If I'm on the road, I would rather appear as an unassuming fisherman. If I have to go through the woods, I want quick access to extra gear in case I run into any 2 or 4 legged predators.

Unless anyone can talk me out of this Kelty pack, I'll be ordering in the next few days.

Willie51
02-27-2015, 01:35 AM
I think I'm going to grab myself a Kelty Peregrine 29 (http://www.kelty.com/p-265-peregrine-29.aspx?category=backpacks) in brown. It seems to be the most suited to my needs. It's not too military looking but retains the utilitarian function. As I said before, I'm in a small mountain town where camo is worn daily, and earth tones are the predominant color of clothing.

This bag is for a worst case scenario where I have to ditch my vehicle and walk the 10 miles back home. If I'm on the road, I would rather appear as an unassuming fisherman. If I have to go through the woods, I want quick access to extra gear in case I run into any 2 or 4 legged predators.

Unless anyone can talk me out of this Kelty pack, I'll be ordering in the next few days.

You certainly can't go wrong with a Kelty!

Sniper-T
02-27-2015, 01:50 AM
Unless I'm missing it.. there is no internal frame on that one. Which means all weight is hangng on your shoulders, rather than being distributed to your hips. With any load, you'll be cussing it after 2 miles, never mind 10. frames make a pack comfortable rather than a burdon...

IMO

MegaCPC
02-27-2015, 02:17 AM
You bring up a very good point T, although I'm not sure I'll be carrying enough weight to warrant the extra support. I don't think I'll exceed 20lbs in this bag. It's just a pack to get me up the road enough to where I have uhh, help.

I'll have a liter or two of water, water filter and tabs, fire kit, fishing kit, some extra magazines for my carry gun, a tarp and some 550 cord for shelter, and a larger utility knife for general bushcraft and wood processing. I might throw in a .22 pistol for shits and giggles.

robsdak
02-27-2015, 04:20 AM

i read the specs and it looks good to me. i like the fact it is 'hydration compatible'. i would look around on Ebay and see what's available there. you can find good deals, if the person has no clue as to what they have. just sayin'. BTDT

bacpacker
02-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Kelty has made excellent gear for a long time. I've had various models over the years and have yet to have a problem with them. If it is frame-less be sure and think that out well. 20 lbs ain't a lot, but after 10 miles you will be cussing it. An internal frame would be much more comfortable.

Willie51
02-28-2015, 12:32 AM
Here's a great link for info on deciding about type of packs.....internal frame vs external frame.

http://outdoors.campmor.com/internal-vs-external-frame-backpack/

Sniper-T
02-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Great link Willie! Awesome breakdown. Which did you decide on and why?

Willie51
03-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Great link Willie! Awesome breakdown. Which did you decide on and why?

Right now I have internal frame packs for our BOBs and the same for the 4 GHBs (more economical ones) in the vehicles. But I am looking for a good excuse to get two news ones sometime this year for our BOBs and when I do I will certainly go with external frame packs. The "good excuse" is, our son needs a new one so we'll pass what we have on to him and daughter in law. :cool:

The reasons are:

1. The external frame distributes it's weight to the hips instead of the shoulders. Neither Songbird or I like too much weight pulling the shoulders.
2. The external frame packs seem to have more exterior pockets instead of everything being top loaded. No matter how I pack it, it seems that too much has to be pulled out to get to something important.
3. The external frame will carry a heavier load more comfortably.
4. The external frame sets off your back a couple of inches and tends to be cooler which is something to think about here in FL.
5. They are more economical than internal frame packs.

I have read lots of reviews from folks over 55 on lots of websites and this is what I have summed up from their experience. I like the Kelty Sanitas, the Tioga, and the Trekker. No sure which one I like the best, but I plan to go somewhere and try them on first before making the purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I do have two old US Field Packs with external frames that I've had for some time, but do not use for BOB or GHB.

Sniper-T
03-02-2015, 11:17 AM
The internal frame ones do distribute weight to the hips as well, but only if they are completely strapped up tight. What I like best about external frames is that they are more versatile. I can grab yours, mine, my wife's and throw it on and be mostly comfortable. With an internal frame, unless the other person is roughly the same size and shape as you, it's going to be the most uncomfortable pack you've ever worn.

Sniper-T
03-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Found a pack for ya...

wait for it...

http://www.1stkidswholesale.co.uk/images/product/zoom_DISNEY_FAIRIES_BACKPACK___TD3816_1.jpg

robsdak
03-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Found a pack for ya...

wait for it...

http://www.1stkidswholesale.co.uk/images/product/zoom_DISNEY_FAIRIES_BACKPACK___TD3816_1.jpg

does it come with a hydration bladder?

bacpacker
03-05-2015, 11:44 PM
I'm in agreement with T on the internal vs external frame debate. I have carried both over the years. I feel much better with heavy weights50 lbs and up with an external. They spread the weight much better and typically have at least some pockets to arrange your gear in quick easy to reach areas. Internal frames to me carry loads in a much tighter package and are easier to navigate cross country, heavily wooded areas in particular.

It really comes down to the specific task you are wanting it for, IMO.

ElevenBravo
03-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Sweet! It goes with my Lion King backpack!!

MegaCPC
03-06-2015, 03:27 AM
Found a pack for ya...

wait for it...

My little sister has that one... she's been way ahead of me this whole time, time to reevaluate!

I'm actually reconsidering going with that particular Kelty. From all the feedback here, and my own experience, an internal frame pack would better suit my needs, and cover more bases. Gonna keep looking for now. Thanks again for the tips.

Willie51
03-07-2015, 01:07 AM
I went to the local Dick's (since they are the only ones that stock them here) to try on some Kelty external frame packs. They had just moved them to the back while re-arranging the store to make room for more kayaks and watersports items for the spring season. The supervisor was going to the back room to dig them out, but I told him I would come back when I had more time.

Socalman
03-07-2015, 03:06 PM
I have a large student book bag that has been my GHB before I knew what a GHB was! For many years I had my emergency pack in the car in case I was stranded due to an earthquake. Often times on vacation trips, if we were going on a day hike I would swap out many items to cary the types of things you would want, a little snacks food, water, very basic first aid, extra socks, camera, etc. My first one was pretty cheap and after a few years, it began to fall apart. Several years ago I found an excellent one by GREATLAND on sale as part of a back to school sale. It is well made, strong, good shoulder straps and is gray and black.

Be aware that some of the school backpacks are designed to function for about 10 months of daily use and then fail. Other, like this bag are sturdy.