PDA

View Full Version : Armor-soft, hard or I can one to the chest.

LUNCHBOX
08-03-2011, 08:31 PM
I bring this up because I think you need something more than a thick shirt...lol. I was talking to someone (lets call him "the idiot" for now) and he said that he didn't need any armor because he didn't plan on getting hit. When I stopped laughing and could see him again I asked how he planned to do that, said he would sneak around as mich as possible. Again, I'm laughing....I couldn't keep talking to him cause I was about to sell all my gear and run around in a cape. Don't get me wrong, if you feel you don't need armor then more power to you. My comments on this individual is just my opinion.

Anyway----if you don't want to say what you run we will understand, if you do lets see how everyone feels.

I run soft IIIa front and back, ceramic plates front and back also. I was running a plate carrier, now I run a slick carrier and T.T. harness with a Eagle cummerbund.

izzyscout21
08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Like you, I run level 3a front and back in addition to front and back ceramic. I've got it all housed in a Blackhawk releasable armor carrier. I've also got a few soft armor concealable vests with trauma plates in case i need someting more low profile.

The Stig
08-04-2011, 01:48 AM
While the idea of running around in a cape, dodging bullets like a ninja is very appealing, I'm jumping into the world of armor also.

I picked up a pair of Gamma Plus III+ plates from a buddy recently.

I would like to run them in the Blue Force Gear LMAC (http://www.skdtac.com/Blue_Force_Gear_SOC_C_LMAC_p/3sk.146.htm) if they ever release the Tan. The LMAC is getting good reviews so I thought I'd give it a whirl as my first dance with plate carriers. I'll add a soft backer to the font/back and the BFG cummerbund (when it to is finally released).

It won't be suitable for every situation, but having a set of body armor gives you options and I like those.

Izzy...do you have any advice for us having worn a set for real? Any comfort tips?

izzyscout21
08-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Biggest thing I could tell you, Is to find a setup that works for you. All the vests/ plate carriers will wear a little different. I went through several before i settled on mine. Try them out and see how you like them. The best way to figure it out is to actually use them for work or take them to a school. You will figure out really quicky if it's going to be comfortable for you. The cumberbund normally helps quite a bit as well. If i have a eureka moment and think of a good tip, I'll post it.

LUNCHBOX
08-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Here is a little help, Eagle Industries makes shoulder strap pads that will velcro around any plate carrier. Adds some comfort to a pc that doesn't have the cumerbund. Trial and error could be the best technique but expensive. Try to get a group together that have pcs already and wear each one for awhile. Going with a slick/concealable carrier might be best since you can run any rig you want. (IMO)

apssbc
08-18-2011, 01:14 AM
I do not carry armor any more. I had it at one point and have learned with field work I do not need it. Im not at all claiming to be a ninja nor do I claim to be able to not get hit. However with my weapon, pack, LBV, Plates and other gear, I found I was too heavy and slow. I could not move as quietly, nor was I as nimble. I would much rather avoid being seen and be able to move faster from place to place.

Remember that armor can be defeated, shoot for the head or other exposed body parts. The abdomen, groin region is very very rich with parts that will bleed and kill you very quickly. Also rounds to the same area will penetrate after 3 or 4. Think about this the average us infantry man carries 100lbs or more of equipment. US Infantry has the ability to drive from place to place, helicopter in and out. They have resupply readily avaliable. We much like the eastern armies will be carrying everything we have to survive with on our backs. We get no resupply, rides, or advanced medical care.

There is a reason the Chinese, north koreans, VC and Taliban dont carry all that extra weight. Because they are very very good at sneaking around, they need to be mobile and un burdoned with the weight of armor. Without all the extra weight, equipment and heavy artillery the Chinese managed to move 300000 men into Korea unnoticed. They sneak up to the perimeters without being seen. Never has a super power who has gone up against a small eastern force won. Korea, Vietnam, Afganistan, Chechnya, all have won and caused the larger force to give up because guerilla war is too costly and they cannot win.

Look up books like the "Tigers way" and "last hundred yards" they are written by a very smart man named Poole. I have read his stuff, studied the difference between eastern way of war and the western way. I have learned and evolved from that mindset of needing armor. I am not trying to start a fight, I dont care if you wear armor, I just want to share what I have learned and how it has changed how I operate.

RedJohn
08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
In all my deployments, I never wore any armor. At times, I should have, but the advantages vs the troubles were enough for me. Of course, I had nobody forcing me to wear one either.