PDA

View Full Version : Powered Milk for Medium and Long Term Storage?

Willie51
02-25-2015, 10:39 PM
I would like to hear your thoughts on the best powered milk to buy for medium to long term storage and where to get it. We've tried the boxes from Sam's and then repackaged it in vacuum sealed bags and then stored in sealed buckets. We got two years out of it, but it still has after taste, even fresh from the box.

My better half is from Wisconsin, so need I say more about having to have milk in stock in a shtf situation. Plus, we have 3 grandchildren and one new one on the way due in July. So we were trying to figure out what to stock up on. Any help is appreciated.

Fidel MD
02-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Nido is the best I've found but none of it tastes fresh

Illini Warrior
02-25-2015, 11:07 PM
you might want to check with the Mormans on their dry milk .... most people think it has superior taste over the retail .... there's four FL supply warehouses for picking up bulk food supplies .... milk is running $70 for a 25lb bucket ready for long term storage ....

https://providentliving.org/self-reliance/home-storage-centers?lang=eng

Sniper-T
02-25-2015, 11:25 PM
Great post Willie!!!

I myself am a milk fiend, and put up about 15 pound a few years ago, and have only sampled a couple times. Powdered milk sucks IMO, but this is a good reminder to try my stores, and see how they are doing.

Fidel, what other brands can you give a review for?

Thanks for that link Warrior, have you personally tried it? review? How long have you stored it?

ElevenBravo
02-26-2015, 12:04 AM
http://www.shtfready.com/threads/3088-Got-Milk?p=55780&viewfull=1#post55780

Sniper-T
02-26-2015, 12:09 AM
atta kid EB! I was going to come back and look for that very thread. You rock!

Willie51
02-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Thanks Fidel and thanks Warrior. The Mormon centers are in central and south Florida. Next time I take a trip down that way, I will call and stop by to check them out.

Thanks EB, I remembered that thread from 2 years ago and I "liked" it back then.

I wanted to open back up the discussion to see if there were some newer better products on the market that our Ant family has tried or was using, especially since our prepping needs to be upgraded in that area for the little ones and one on the way. Before, it was just for Songbird and I, but now I need to stock up more. So before I order, I wanted some input. I know that Emergency Essentials says theirs tastes like regular milk from the store and it comes from the Mormons also. http://beprepared.com/#default

I plan to try some different ones (medium and long term storage items) and will report back what we think.

jamesneuen
02-26-2015, 01:17 AM
I've tried some before. honestly if you add almost any type of fat to it, it well improve the taste. they dry powder skim milk usually since the fats and oils cause it to spoil. coconut oil, Crisco, and even lard can improve the taste. bacon esque flavored milk isn't too bad.

Illini Warrior
02-26-2015, 01:18 AM
Thanks Fidel and thanks Warrior. The Mormon centers are in central and south Florida. Next time I take a trip down that way, I will call and stop by to check them out.

Thanks EB, I remembered that thread from 2 years ago and I "liked" it back then.

I wanted to open back up the discussion to see if there were some newer better products on the market that our Ant family has tried or was using, especially since our prepping needs to be upgraded in that area for the little ones and one on the way. Before, it was just for Songbird and I, but now I need to stock up more. So before I order, I wanted some input. I know that Emergency Essentials says theirs tastes like regular milk from the store and it comes from the Mormons also. http://beprepared.com/#default

I plan to try some different ones (medium and long term storage items) and will report back what we think.

for smaller "trial sizes" of products the Mormans have an online buy & shipping option .... for any product it's advisable to use & evaluate ....

in regard to the Morman warehouses (aka Bishop's Storehouses) you'll need an appointment .... they no longer run canning classes or can product .... the hours will vary according to the manager's availability - think after work hours

Willie51
02-26-2015, 01:36 AM
We did order some real whole milk by Gossner Foods. It is natural and produced without hormones. It is in small little 8 fl oz boxes and is shelf stable and usually dated for 2 years. Not bad, but kinda tastes a little like canned carnation milk.

We're looking for the best tasting to store, although in a SHTF situation, I believe it all will be good and gold. :p

Sniper-T
02-26-2015, 01:52 AM
I agree... Our standards will decrease if shtf... but I believe we would still be better off having the best stockpiles....

Katrina
02-26-2015, 02:12 AM
One of the ways to make the powdered milk taste better is to put a bit of vanilla flavoring in it. emergency prep has cans of powdered real vanilla for long term storage. I haven't tried using any yet. Mom used to put vanilla and some sugar in the powdered milk we used to get when I was growing up. It made it tolerable to drink plain. Of course eating the Frosted Flakes with it was AWESOME to little kids that is.

Sniper-T
02-26-2015, 02:44 AM
great points Taz! not a big 'vanilla' fan, but some cocoa, or quick... would be good too!

What flavoured milk would go best with fruit loops?
:)

Illini Warrior
02-26-2015, 03:27 PM
We did order some real whole milk by Gossner Foods. It is natural and produced without hormones. It is in small little 8 fl oz boxes and is shelf stable and usually dated for 2 years. Not bad, but kinda tastes a little like canned carnation milk.

We're looking for the best tasting to store, although in a SHTF situation, I believe it all will be good and gold. :p

look at the expiration date .... good for a max of 9 months ..... OK for the 3rd World that lacks refrigeration .... but not intended for long term storage ....

Dollar Tree chain of stores has it regular for a $1/container .....

Domeguy
02-26-2015, 05:02 PM
I agree that all powered milk tastes like.....well, powered milk. Adding things to it like vanilla, sugar, honey Jack Daniels, etc. helps, but I also found the colder the mixed milk is, the better it seems to taste. I mix mine the day before I might need it, and refrigerate over night. I know this doesn't work in a SHTF situation. Also, of the several products I have tried, I like Augason Farms 'Morning Moo's' the best. I especially like their chocolate milk version. I have mixed it up, but in fridge overnight, and I can't tell it's not real chocolate milk from a carton.

Willie51
02-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Thanks Domeguy! I agree, we always mix the day before and then refrigerate....the colder the better! In a shtf situation, we can use mother nature in the winter time to keep it cold. The Augason Farms brand is noted and we will order some. I have some long term items from them already that we picked up while out in Idaho and Wyoming on vacation. The Walmarts out there has an isle of long term food stuff. Wish they would carry it here.

@Warrior, I agree about the canned boxed milk by Gossner Foods. The place I ordered it from said up to 2 years, but I sent half back when I saw the date stamp, however, we have kept it that long in a dark storage closet and when opened it tasted the same as a new one. We ordered it for our medium term food storage program, not long term. I just brought it up to let everyone know who hasn't tried it. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Dollar Tree stores....good to know.

ElevenBravo
02-26-2015, 11:11 PM
I agree on the colder the better. Hell, that goes for moo cow milk too!! YUM!

Sniper-T
02-27-2015, 12:24 AM
ditto on colder! you need a braun to mix it, but in a pinch, blending in icewater makes it ok immediately. I 'use' it when we run out of regular, and don't have the option of leaving overnight... or mixing ahead

Domeguy
02-27-2015, 12:48 AM
ditto on colder! you need a braun to mix it, but in a pinch, blending in icewater makes it ok immediately. I 'use' it when we run out of regular, and don't have the option of leaving overnight... or mixing ahead

That is what I meant by mixing it up ahead of time. If we run out, the closest place to get any milk is over 20 minutes away, and the normal grocery store is 45 minutes away. So if I use most or all of the milk, I will sometimes mix up a quart at night, and not tell anyone. It's only been a few times, but no one has caught on yet. Well, you got me, my big secret is out now. By the way, what do you
mean by needing a Braun to mix it?

Sniper-T
02-27-2015, 01:07 AM
For me, it's one of those getting home and not having my moo. call the wife and she's already to far past. At that point I could be an hour or more away from fresh moo. tough to justify the trip for a $5. jug. And the moo is needed for dinner now!

This is the braun... yeah, powered, but will mix anything!

http://bargainoffers.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/br_mr4000r.jpg

Willie51
03-05-2015, 01:33 AM
We finished a little test today on powered milk that we started 4 years ago this month. We bought a huge box of powdered milk from Sam's Club (their generic brand) to do a test for semi-long storage. Once we got home, I pre-measured the powder to make 1 & 2 quarts of milk when needed and put in vacuum seal bags. I vacuumed sealed them and then labeled with mixing instructions (amts of cups of water) and dated them 3/2011. Then I put all the sealed bags in a round 6 gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid for easy access. Then this bucket went into a dark storage closet.

So today, we pulled out a 2 qt bag and cut it open and it smelled just like the powdered milk from a new box that we have opened. We mixed in 7 1/2 cups of water and then put in the frig to get cold. Taste tested a few minutes ago and .........it tasted good just like fresh powdered milk just bought. Of course it's still powdered milk, but was good. And in an emergency, it will be real good! The wife added a teaspoon or two of vanilla like Katrina pointed out. Much better.

I will be ordering some soon from EE in cans (small can first) that has a 25+ year shelf life. I will keep everyone updated on how it taste, especially compared to the grocery store brand. But at least we know that the local stuff from the stores can be made to last. Also, special to note, we actually had another box (from Sam's) in the pantry that was about a year old (in the original box) and it had a stale smell and funny taste when mixed. It was drinkable, but I threw it out.

Sniper-T
03-05-2015, 01:45 AM
wow!!! great review Willie!! Another reason why this site is so great... Member participation!!!

You guys into chocolate? how about a little quick in there?

fresh berries?

Willie51
03-05-2015, 01:57 AM
Sounds good, we'll try that too! :o

realist
03-05-2015, 04:45 AM
Sniper that is the only way to drink it. Thanks Willie I was going to buy some from EE too. I like the idea of the small cans, but they do cost more.

Sniper-T
03-05-2015, 06:32 AM
I put up a crapload a few years ago, and, have tested it a few times since, and thought it tasted like a crapload each time! SHTF, and it'll be God's greatest gift since ice cubes, but currently doesn't stop me from making a 45 mile round trip to buy a jug of milk on a Sunday evening. Will try it with Quik, next time. (not a big vanilla fan)

Willie51
03-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Sniper that is the only way to drink it. Thanks Willie I was going to buy some from EE too. I like the idea of the small cans, but they do cost more.

Agreed, once we try the small cans, we will order the #10 cans if we like it.

Domeguy
03-06-2015, 05:15 AM
I like the idea of pre measuring certain amounts and vacuum sealing them, rather than storing a large box. I bet in the long run, it would last longer split up rather than opening the box and using when needed.

Willie51
03-07-2015, 12:55 AM
I like the idea of pre measuring certain amounts and vacuum sealing them, rather than storing a large box. I bet in the long run, it would last longer split up rather than opening the box and using when needed.

Absolutely, that was the idea and part of the test. Also, it's easy and you don't have to think about it if in a shtf situation. Just cut open the bag and add amount of water that we wrote on the bag and mix. :cool:

Katrina
03-07-2015, 02:27 AM
Great review Willie. Glad the vanilla helped.I have about 18 #10 cans of EE Prep milk in storage right now. Good idea about repackaging the powder with the amt of water to use. I was thinking of getting the buckets as I will have little ones here SHTF. I'm also looking for a good tasting milk substitute for one grand daughter(lactose intolerant)that I can store for her.Right now I believe son2 and DIL have her on soy milk but I'll have to check.

Sniper-T
03-07-2015, 03:34 AM
I'm liking that idea too. X amount of powder in a quart ziplock, rolled up tight and sealed then packed into another tight. A group of them in a vacubag; and good to store. open up a preset bag dump in a quart of water, shake the shit out of it and toss it on ice. Could even have the choco powder premixed in the bag as well.

Willie51
03-07-2015, 03:44 AM
Great review Willie. Glad the vanilla helped.I have about 18 #10 cans of EE Prep milk in storage right now. Good idea about repackaging the powder with the amt of water to use. I was thinking of getting the buckets as I will have little ones here SHTF. I'm also looking for a good tasting milk substitute for one grand daughter(lactose intolerant)that I can store for her.Right now I believe son2 and DIL have her on soy milk but I'll have to check.

Katrina, the little ones that will be with us in a shtf situation is what got us to look at stocking more milk and trying some new ones. Here are a couple of sites that sells long term storage milk and milk substitutes like soy milk. I will start ordering from various places (like the 3 below) to do taste test soon.

http://www.grandmascountryfoods.com/catalog/index.html (Scroll down here on Grandma's and check out the Soy Milk and the MILQ)

http://shop.honeyville.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=powered+milk#1

https://survivalacres.com/shop/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=milk&submit_search=OK