PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Machines

2die4
03-01-2015, 04:19 AM
I am looking into geting into the world of sewing but have'nt touched a machine since 8th grade home ec class. Can anybody suggest any decent starter machines/brands to go with. Also, are there any good websites to get a refresher course on basic sewing machine ops?

I would also like to see what creations you have made. That is if you feel like sharing of course.

robsdak
03-01-2015, 05:11 AM
i can recommend Singer. Momma has a few and yes i know how to use them and no i won't post pictures. :) the last thing i made was a shirt back in the early 90's. we used to be in the Craft Store/Sewing Shop business. but i have fixed several things. i forget the name of the Serger she has. it's not hard to do. with most things it takes practice.

Sniper-T
03-01-2015, 05:36 AM
one word... Singer!

you can get a non powered foot treadle machine for next to nothing that will... and has lasted forever!

robsdak
03-01-2015, 06:18 AM
one word... Singer!

you can get a non powered foot treadle machine for next to nothing that will... and has lasted forever!

maybe up there in the frozen north, the 'Bubba's' down here think they worth their weight in GOLD!

realist
03-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Try looking at Baby Lock. I have bought two for the better half. She has a serger and embroidering machine too. As to a beginning one, I'm not sure if they will fit the bill, you will have to take a look. I bought them for her so she could ease into retirement. She did start out with a Singer and I would think you could get one pretty cheap. I want to warn you once you get hook I think some of these things can be like heroin. She came home the other day and told me about a new type of machine for embroidering. All you have to do is take a picture and the machine will copy it to the material, however it ONLY costs $8,000!! I think we will wait on that one.

Years ago I bought a treadle sewing machine, but have not used one. There are Singer and Whites and probably others too. It is amazing you can get whatever supplies they need. One of our local stores has several for about $200 to $300 completely refurbished. I originally got mine to work on leather and heavy cloth but have yet to get around to it. The wife is not interested. If you want to travel out here I can make you a deal on it.

One thing I highly recommend is you need to go into some of the sewing stores in your area. We have three and they all have classes and are very helpful. All of the stores repair machines and have used ones. They might be able to tell you what is the best way for you go. BTW some of the classes the stores will supply the machines so you do not need to have one to participate.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Here are some examples of two that I restored. The first is a Singer Model 66 "Red Eye" for LadyHK. $60 Patina intact! Smoooth as silk and tough as nails you can sew through four layers of terry cloth and light leather. The second is a Singer Model 29 Cobler.$200 This one had a complete make over. LadyHK was upset with that. But once I cleaned it up it was too far gone, too much bare metal for me. So I gave it my best, all new wood (black walnut) had to fabricate the table from pictures I found. Came out pretty good I reckon. As for what we have made with them. Once I did my work tuned and timed them, I was off to my other projects............this might not be what you're looking for but you'll never find a better machine. They are both over 100 years old if that tells you anything.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/sardog87008/102_4286_zpscytkjbib.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/sardog87008/media/102_4286_zpscytkjbib.jpg.html)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/sardog87008/102_4292_zps8wxy7pm0.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/sardog87008/media/102_4292_zps8wxy7pm0.jpg.html)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/sardog87008/102_4783_zpswiglsj89.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/sardog87008/media/102_4783_zpswiglsj89.jpg.html)

realist
03-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Very nicely done. You do good work, I'll be send you mine tomorrow.........

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Maybe one day I'll have time to do some leather work. But hey, I have the right stuff! Thanks for the compliment, I try, I was a seamstress in the Navy doncha know!

bacpacker
03-01-2015, 03:29 PM
I've never saw a model 29 before. Fine looking machine! Both of them are actually. The model 66 is more like what I've seen around here.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-01-2015, 03:48 PM
The 29's are a rarity, If you can find one you snag it! I was racing an Amishman for this one. A "little old lady in Alabama" had this one and was originally going to put in her front yard! Thank God she didn't and kept in the garage. Once I saw it and checked the operation (it was sooo smooth still!) I didn't even try to talk her down. Hey it had all the parts! Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/sardog87008/29-4a_zpsnnmsotnb.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/sardog87008/media/29-4a_zpsnnmsotnb.jpg.html)

2die4
03-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Kudos to your craftsmanship BWR. Very nice! I have heard of the older machines operating flawlessly for generations. They just don't make them like that anymore that's for sure.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Trying to get the "Red Eye" was another feat in itself. Had to chase a traveling salesman (really) to get him to open his storage unit. It valued in at $600 in current condition back when the photo was taken. What's really cool is my grandmother's was a Red Eye too! That was the ONLY one she used till she passed away. It now sits in my mothers dining room in mint condition. So now we have two operational units in the family.

Sniper-T
03-02-2015, 11:49 AM
My mom had a 66 just like yours, when she passed my father hauled it to the dump.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Sorry to hear that, going for a cup of coffee on the porch...........I'm bitchy. That was a waste.

Sniper-T
03-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I was pretty choked when I found out.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I was pretty choked when I found out.

Family........but, not much you can do about that now. I'm sure somebody salvaged it.

Willie51
03-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Great job on the restorations there buddy. I watched my grandmother for many years so a bunch of clothes on one of those. Also, she was the wedding dress maker in town and worked year round doing that from home. You would not believe some of the dresses that she made with her old pedal Singer.....unbelievable! My mom is 84 and still it in her home and wants me and Songbird to have it one day. :)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Great job on the restorations there buddy. I watched my grandmother for many years so a bunch of clothes on one of those. Also, she was the wedding dress maker in town and worked year round doing that from home. You would not believe some of the dresses that she made with her old pedal Singer.....unbelievable! My mom is 84 and still it in her home and wants me and Songbird to have it one day. :)

OH SHIT! I JUST DID A LADYHK SORRY WILLIE! I can't take that one back, I was going to say don't let that one get away!

Willie51
03-03-2015, 03:15 AM
Ha! No worries brother. I think I did that once on here too. :mad:

Yeah, we will keep the Singer in the family for sure.

jamesneuen
03-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Usually if you click the dislike button again, it removes it.

2die4
03-03-2015, 03:12 PM
So it seems like singer is the brand to go with...

Katrina
03-04-2015, 03:42 AM
I have my great grand mothers Singer, all original parts with the exception of the cord for the wheel, had to replace original as it was stretched out. , Not sure what the model is but I do know there is no zipper foot for it, too old per the Singer company. I sewed all my maternity clothes on it and the zippers were a b@#**h to put in.

ladyhk13
03-04-2015, 07:29 PM
I have my great grand mothers Singer, all original parts with the exception of the cord for the wheel, had to replace original as it was stretched out. , Not sure what the model is but I do know there is no zipper foot for it, too old per the Singer company. I sewed all my maternity clothes on it and the zippers were a b@#**h to put in.

Kat you can usually find old parts on eBay. BWRR found every foot possible for my machine that was born in 1908.

Sniper-T
03-04-2015, 10:38 PM
I actually have my mother in-law's Singer here now, but it is newer... and electric! :p

Still an awesome machine, worthy of the singer name, but pooched if the grid goes down.

But... like my grinder and grain mill, I am sure I can jury rig it to run off a bicycle if needed.

realist
03-05-2015, 05:04 AM
I was just talking to the experts in the house, wife and mother-in-law. They agree the Singer and Bernina, which a lot of people start out with are out dated. I gave them the ole what would you pick? The said the Baby Lock because they are so much better. If you get into sewing you will end up with one. If not the resale is great. That is unless you are buying a treadle machine.

2die4
03-05-2015, 05:53 AM
That is unless you are buying a treadle machine. This is a new term. What does it mean?

Sniper-T
03-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Ahh... you kids...

lol

treadle is the term for the foot powered component of the old sewing machines...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JFFHIhGyYpQ/S-nGIihIfPI/AAAAAAAAAIc/qBJ44gGpJDo/s1600/My+Treadle+Sewing+Machine.jpg

2die4
03-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Ahh... you kids...

lol

treadle is the term for the foot powered component of the old sewing machines...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JFFHIhGyYpQ/S-nGIihIfPI/AAAAAAAAAIc/qBJ44gGpJDo/s1600/My+Treadle+Sewing+Machine.jpg

Thanks Grandpa!

jamesneuen
03-06-2015, 12:52 AM
Lol I actually saw an industrial leather sewing machine that had foot pedals like a bike because of how much pressure it used. Never knew what it was for that would use leather that thick but it took almost 3 full turns of the foot pedals to do one stitch.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-06-2015, 02:46 AM
Lol I actually saw an industrial leather sewing machine that had foot pedals like a bike because of how much pressure it used. Never knew what it was for that would use leather that thick but it took almost 3 full turns of the foot pedals to do one stitch.

That Model 29 in the picture that I posted is used for leather, it don't need no bicycle. It's all about mechanical advantage.

realist
03-07-2015, 04:15 AM
Treadles are great for leather and sewing thick canvas and other material.

2die4 remember to be nice to old people.

2die4
03-16-2015, 03:45 AM
Treadles are great for leather and sewing thick canvas and other material.

2die4 remember to be nice to old people.
I'm always nice to old people. lol

Gunfixr
03-20-2015, 03:19 AM
We have an old treadle model that my wife got from her family. It's in pretty good shape. It's been a long time since I've seen it out, but the cabinet is similar to the one Sniper T posted above. It could probably use a little cleaning, and I think it needs a belt, but otherwise is GTG.

As for modern models, my wife has several, I think all are Singers. I know her heavy duty electric sewing machine is. It will sew light leather, or multiple layers of Cordura, as we made a holster with it. She has a serger as well. I have run the sewing machine, but not set it up or anything. My sewing is limited to hand, usually on web gear. She can make clothes. Her mom used to own a doll shop, where she repaired dolls, and made clothes for them, and my wife worked with her.

jamesneuen
03-26-2015, 03:52 PM
So! I found a treadle sewing machine for sale locally and bought it for $40. Still had original needles, handful of bobbins, and the original manual. bit of rough shape but I plan to clean it up and get her shiny again. Brand is Franklin from sears and roebuck 1923.

2die4
03-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Damn! that is a good find.

jamesneuen
03-26-2015, 11:03 PM
I was super excited but it needs some work. Lower iron work is rusting and the cabinet needs refinished but the machine functions and it had a ton of attachments. Now I just need to clean it up. Not sure if the little gold filigree can be saved or not yet.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-27-2015, 01:28 AM
I was super excited but it needs some work. Lower iron work is rusting and the cabinet needs refinished but the machine functions and it had a ton of attachments. Now I just need to clean it up. Not sure if the little gold filigree can be saved or not yet.

MILD SOAP! GO EASY! How about some pics?

Katrina
03-29-2015, 06:14 PM
james
Awesome find. I concur use a very mild soap and don't rub too hard. Maybe a little Rustoleum on the rusted bits??

Grumpy Old Man
03-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Murphy's oil soap. For rust, vinegar (also good for cleaning rusted cast iron).

If you can't find used/antique these are favored by some Amish

http://content.janome.com/en/machines/sewing/712t/

Parts for old machines here

http://sewingmachineparts.net/leather_treadle_belts.html

And here

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/alphasew-leather-treadle-belt.aspx

jamesneuen
03-29-2015, 11:37 PM
thankfully it doesn't look like anything but the treadle parts underneath are rusted. Those I'm not overly concerned with. Sandblast, cerakote and be done with it. I plan on using it. Not just looking at it. Did a little rubbing with a wet rag and a lot of the filigree came back out. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow. I'm excited but now I'm starting back to work and the kids are more active every day so the projects get pushed to the side unless I'm getting paid for them.

realist
03-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Cerakote? Thats not a bad idea. I thought you had to cook it?

jamesneuen
03-30-2015, 11:31 AM
I do, but the largest part is the foot platform and that is small enough to fit in my oven. the other parts are smaller.