PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Water

The Stig
08-04-2011, 10:59 PM
How many different ways do you know to collect water?

There's obvious ones like putting a gutter downspout into a 55gal drum. What about the more creative super-ninja Special Forces ways to suck humidity out of a cactus spike or the like?

Water heaters and water beds are other obvious sources.

So now that the obvious ones are off the table, what other methods do we know?

bacpacker
08-05-2011, 01:26 AM
I have used the garbage bag around a bush to capture the moisture coming off the plant. Once! I left it on for probably 4 hours and got maybe half a pint from it. Tatsed good though.
I assume this method will vary greatly depending on the plants used, size of the plant you are able to bag, humidity levels, sunlight, & temps.

Another method I want to try is digging a hole, putting a bucket or can in the bottom of the hole, cover the hole with plaxtic and anchor it down with rocks or something. Put a small stone in the middle of the plastic (over the can or bucket). The moisture will gather on the plastic as it tries to evaporate and will run down the plastic to the point where the single rock is located. The water should drain off the plastic into the cup.

While I haven't practiced neither of these methods much if at all, it's something I need to work on. IMO this thread is as important as one pertaining to starting fires by various methods. I'm really interested in reading some real life expereinces. This is an area I'm weak in.

BTW I would recommend carrying a sheet of plastic, garbage bags, or something along those lines in your GHB, BOB for use along these lines.

LUNCHBOX
08-05-2011, 05:07 AM
+1 on the garbage bags. I have seen water sit in the stump of a tree in the middle of a field. That's not really working for it but your not going to complain about where you find it. I didn't need to drink it but its good to remember where to look.

The Stig
08-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Any other ideas from folks?

AlphaTea
08-08-2011, 03:23 AM
You guys have already hit on the major ways of getting water except a sipping well and I dont recommend that.
Dont forget that your toilet tank holds water too.
Not to sound like a smartass but I try not to get in a situation where I would have to resort to the above methods.
However, I have tried most of them. The most productive was the hole with the plastic tarp/bag.
Solar still was OK too. Knowledge of dewpoints, humidity and air temp relationships helps.
Be cautious if using rain gutter collection method if there are a lot of birds in your area.
OK, so I was an Eagle Scout. I think I can still do it the hard way if I have to, but I am lazy. And yes I can start a fire by rubbing two stick together. It is a whole lot easier if one of the sticks is a match.
I keep a stash of water on hand that will do me for a while.
Access to easy supplies of water is key like,
A 20ft swimming pool and various filters for potable water.
I can see Lake Ontario from my house.