PDA

View Full Version : LEO's and lackadaisical atitudes

robsdak
03-03-2015, 12:59 AM
had a situation here around 'Casa de Rob' this afternoon. as i was going to get lil' sister's car (another story), some retard goes down the dirt road behind the house shooting at something? shoots a total 16 times in a 30 second stretch. i call the Sheriff's Office to report it, for the safety of the kids, animals, houses and pets. anywho, meet the Deputy on the road and told him what had happened. hearing from him 'it's not a big deal' and finding out that someone dropped the ball in catching said retard, i was kinda miffed.

i am not LEO nor affiliated now, but i now procedural law and how it should have been handled. the road is several miles long and loose/deep sand, with no other way this car could have got past them (2/4 door White Toyota or Honda and low slung). all that was needed was for the dispatcher to radio the City Police, since that was the direction the car was headed and have them sit and wait. like shooting fish in a barrel. did she? HELL NO! she made the decision that the Deputies could/would handle it. it's called Inter-Agency Communication.

lil' sister's car it's got a plastic return for the upper radiator hose and it cracked. she did the right thing, got the car safely parked, shut down and called me. $22.25 for the part, $12 for Anti-Freeze and 1 hr and 15 min of my time. she good to go.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Do you have a hand held radio capable of receiving 70cm band? OK let's say UHF/VHF? You should invest so you can monitor LEO in a situation like this and you can hear what your little dispatcher was actually doing. If she disregarded your 911 and say you were recording said radio transmissions, she would be busted. But that's just my take, but that would take some quick thinking on your part. You have to be thinking along the lines of "monitor, gather intell, ETA of LEO, etc" but you have to learn to be habitual on these things. Gotta learn how to play with new toys, could get addicting.

jamesneuen
03-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Our local one here and the one I was with up north no longer use plain UHF and VHF. They use an encrypted relay system so nobody can monitor their comms. I forget what it's called, but we had training on it a few years ago and I haven't dealt with it since.

Sniper-T
03-03-2015, 03:11 PM
On the weekend, a friend had a break in (garage) while they slept. Heard it, called 911, and were told to call 311 instead (non emergency) They waited on hold for over 2 hours to make a report and then the op finally said "thanks, there's nothing we can do". After inquiring about fingerprints/etc; they were told, "no, make a claim and go about your business".

What a joke!

realist
03-03-2015, 03:46 PM
There is no excuse for laziness. Most of the time it is the urgency of the call which dictates whether or not allied agencies are notified. Just shooting in a rural area would not warrant this. I know I was a my mom's one day in a very rural area. I saw a truck in the distance coming down the road. I was about 1/4 mile from the road. These guys proceeded to shoot mailboxes with a shotgun as they went by. Yes they shot my mom's. I had a 308 with a nice scope and could have taken a shot at them but who would have ended up in jail. I couldn't id them so I didn't call. In your situation who was the victim? The deputy had no crime they could prosecute because nothing was destroyed, not right but it is the way it is.

Sniper that is bullshit on not taking prints. That cop was a lazy POS. It amazes me how many of them do not check for prints. Either they do not have the interest, then don't even bother to carry a print kit, or they haven't been trained which they should have been. One of the things I have found it the newer or even the older go getters are always getting crap from others because they like to push the envelope. These are the ones who will take bunches of prints and are satisfied if they can catch one crook. Funny I alway thought it was their job to put crooks in jail one way or the other. Most have forgotten they put more people in jail with a pen than with a gun.

bacpacker
03-03-2015, 04:29 PM
The new radio system around this area is in the 800mhz area. They. All it trunk tracking and without a real high $ scanner you'll just hear noise.

robsdak
03-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Do you have a hand held radio capable of receiving 70cm band? OK let's say UHF/VHF? You should invest so you can monitor LEO in a situation like this and you can hear what your little dispatcher was actually doing. If she disregarded your 911 and say you were recording said radio transmissions, she would be busted. But that's just my take, but that would take some quick thinking on your part. You have to be thinking along the lines of "monitor, gather intell, ETA of LEO, etc" but you have to learn to be habitual on these things. Gotta learn how to play with new toys, could get addicting.

yes i have a scanner or 2. LOL and i was listening when the call was dispatched. i heard how and when it went out. as for thinking that way, i already do. have for several years. as i said, i am not LEO and not affiliated now. the keyword being NOW. i still have buddies in all of the different Agencies.

Our local one here and the one I was with up north no longer use plain UHF and VHF. They use an encrypted relay system so nobody can monitor their comms. I forget what it's called, but we had training on it a few years ago and I haven't dealt with it since.

it hasn't made up here yet. i sat in on a few meeting they had at the PD and they decided it was too expensive at the time. what they do have are 'secret frequencies' or so they think. LOL

On the weekend, a friend had a break in (garage) while they slept. Heard it, called 911, and were told to call 311 instead (non emergency) They waited on hold for over 2 hours to make a report and then the op finally said "thanks, there's nothing we can do". After inquiring about fingerprints/etc; they were told, "no, make a claim and go about your business".

What a joke!

heard it? down here they would be there when the SO showed up. i agree it's BS.

There is no excuse for laziness. Most of the time it is the urgency of the call which dictates whether or not allied agencies are notified. Just shooting in a rural area would not warrant this. I know I was a my mom's one day in a very rural area. I saw a truck in the distance coming down the road. I was about 1/4 mile from the road. These guys proceeded to shoot mailboxes with a shotgun as they went by. Yes they shot my mom's. I had a 308 with a nice scope and could have taken a shot at them but who would have ended up in jail. I couldn't id them so I didn't call. In your situation who was the victim? The deputy had no crime they could prosecute because nothing was destroyed, not right but it is the way it is.

Sniper that is bullshit on not taking prints. That cop was a lazy POS. It amazes me how many of them do not check for prints. Either they do not have the interest, then don't even bother to carry a print kit, or they haven't been trained which they should have been. One of the things I have found it the newer or even the older go getters are always getting crap from others because they like to push the envelope. These are the ones who will take bunches of prints and are satisfied if they can catch one crook. Funny I alway thought it was their job to put crooks in jail one way or the other. Most have forgotten they put more people in jail with a pen than with a gun.

not real rural and they were shooting near houses, just not in City Limits. the car was heading towards City Limits and there was more than enough time to have City PD dispatched to stop and detain for the SO.

here's the statute. pay attention to subsection(2) they were with in 50' of the neighbor accross the street (road runs gehind his house) and about 300' to my front door.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.15.html

Title XLVI
CRIMES
Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
View Entire Chapter
790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.
(2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
History.—s. 1, ch. 3289, 1881; RS 2683; GS 3626; RGS 5557; CGL 7743; s. 1, ch. 61-334; s. 745, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 78-17; s. 1, ch. 89-157; s. 229, ch. 99-245; s. 77, ch. 2012-7; s. 3, ch. 2012-108.

The new radio system around this area is in the 800mhz area. They. All it trunk tracking and without a real high $ scanner you'll just hear noise.

i hear more than noise. :)