PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear War Survival Skills

The Stig
08-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Emergency Essentials has the book, Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson Kearny (http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_EB%20S410_A_name_E_Nuclear%20Wa r%20Survival%20Skills%20Book) on sale for $11.

This updated and expanded edition of Nuclear War Survival Skills gives instructions that have enabled untrained Americans to make high-protection-factor expedient shelters, efficient air pumps to ventilate and cool shelters, the only homemakeable fallout radiation meter that is accurate and dependable, and other life-support equipment. These instructions have been developed by Oak Ridge National Laboratory civil defense researchers and others over the past 14 years, and have been field-tested repeatedly under simulated crises conditions. Over 400,000 privately reproduced copies of the original 1979 Oak Ridge National Laboratory edition have been sold. You and your family can improve your chances of surviving during and after a nuclear attack by learning the nuclear facts and following the self-help instructions in this book.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Cresson Kearny is the leading inventor and field-tester of self-help survival equipment. He holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Princeton University and two Honours degrees from Oxford, where he was a Rhodes Scholar. Before and during World War II Kearny pioneered the development and testing of jungle combat equipment. In 1964 he initiated self-help civil defense research at Oak Ridge National Laboratory - work that he has continued in many states and several countries.

http://beprepared.com/images/500/EB-S410.jpg

Not sure if it's any good but thought I'd pass it along.

bacpacker
08-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Looks like a very handy book. I'm gonna see if it is available locally. I'll report back as soon as I find out for sure.

LUNCHBOX
08-05-2011, 05:10 AM
I'm sure its a good book.....my concern is the topic, I feel if it comes down to needing that book then I'm up a creek without a paddle anyway. IDK.

Grumpy Old Man
08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I have it as a pdf I got from a Civil Defense History site if anyone is interested.

bacpacker
08-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I found the pdf for it as well. 36MB.

bacpacker
08-06-2011, 03:40 PM
My PDF is way to large to post on here. Shoot me a PM if your interested and I will be happy to e-mail you a copy.

AlphaTea
08-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Most folks have a max size for e-mails. Usually about 5Mb. You will probably need to zip it up into smaller bite size pieces.
Anybody know where it might be found online to save bacpacker the hassle?

bacpacker
08-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks Alpha. I was going to ask that myself tonight. I can send about a 25MB file, but don't want to send more than can be received.

AlphaTea
08-09-2011, 12:35 AM
found it.
http://www.nukepills.com/docs/nuclear_war_survival_skills.pdf (http://www.nukepills.com/docs/nuclear_war_survival_skills.pdf)
Hmmm never been to this site. Looks like some decent info and stuff there. Need to go back and check it out later.

bacpacker
08-09-2011, 01:33 AM
There you go Alpha, Izzy, Stig Sorry I could help you out. Glad Alpha came thru.

RedJohn
08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Just PM me when you have trouble like that, i'll gove you way to upload it to me and I'll make it available to all. I am late in my readings as I am trying to build a new business.

bacpacker
08-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks RJ I'll do that next time.

dragon5126
10-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Call me popcorn because I'm nuked... In all seriousness I'm about seven miles as the crow flies, if that, from one of the nations largest LNG (liquified Natural Gas) Storage facilities. That thing goes, it will be like a hydrogen bomb going off, a firestorm of massive proportion and all the O2 being burned right out of the atmosphere. It wouldn't even take a tactical nuke to take it out...

ladyhk13
01-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Just wanting to know if anyone ended up reading the book and was it any good?

bacpacker
01-30-2012, 01:00 AM
I've not read it cover to cover, but selected sections. It is a good information book. Considering where the info came from, I would trust it.

Taz Baby
01-30-2012, 04:32 AM
My DH has he thinks but wanted me to download it on my puter. So it will be on both in case one crashes.

Gunfixr
01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
No good for me. I live less than 1 mile from the USAF Tactical Air Command HQ, and less than 20 miles from a Naval Nuclear Weapon storage facility, less then 30 miles from Norfolk Naval Weapons Station, not to mention two large ports, and a large shipbuilder for the DOD.

There will be no survival.
There will be no pain.
There might not even be enough time to know what happened.

realist
01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Watch for the flash.

Read it years ago and somewhere I still have it. It gives you a good overview. I is another bit of information to put in your toolbox. Not really a pleasant subject. It seems that just when we get rid of one threat, Soviet Union, we get a new one, North Korea. Then again there is no Soviet Union only a bunch of smaller states with nuclear weapons so what is there to worry about. I guess I just have to dig deeper......