PDA

View Full Version : Energizer Energi To Go

The Stig
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I just bought a couple Energizer Energi To Go (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F5Q3RS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0032L3HOK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PA5YX5RQDWSK9SVSJ2X) units.

Thought having an emergency power-source for cellphones might be handy. No idea if they are worth a hoot but for the money it was worth a try.

I know the rechargable emergency sources are more sexy but I know I'll forget to recharge the thing, or somehow it will dump the charge. I already have a pile of lithium AA's laying around so if the set in the charger dies I can just drop in another.

This would be handy for hurricane use or when I'm on the road.

If you've used one before let me know what you think. Otherwise once I get them I'll report back on my findings.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Qgl-CrsBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LUNCHBOX
08-05-2011, 04:57 AM
I used something like that a couple years back. It got very hot when I plugged it in my phone. I never used it again after that, hope you have better luck. They might be made better now also. My F. I. L. worked for P&G in electronics until retirement, he made me a solar panel to use on small equipment. It's about 12" X 20" opened up. I don't know that it would be a sensitive item for me later due to not using a phone but maybe I'll see what else it can do. I saw a power point that connects straight to a car/marine battery with alligator clips, might look at that also.

dragon5126
09-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Stig, dont take this as an insult, as it isnt meant to be one, and especially not at you of all people. But we at the lab have called those idiot burners from day one. Long and short, double A (AA) batteries are not designed to dump it's complete capacity (ability to source current) in a very short time. Depending on the Batteries chemistry it is capable of sourcing more than 2 amps into a load for a very short period of time before being depleated. Since you are running 3 volts( 2 1.5 volt batteries in series) and fresh batteries that are a minimum of highend alkaline or better and even worse with lithium which sources constant current until almost totally depleated, assuming 2.5 amps, we have 2.5 amps x3 volts =7.5 watts of power the batteries themselves have to dissipate in heat. Doesnt sound like much but this is more than the old fashioned small srew in christmas tree bulbs which were around 3 watts and were taken off the market due to fire safety. Used properly these chargers are not an issue, but the "idiots" referenced in the name we have tagged the chargers with tend to do things like use them in their pockets and end up literally being burned.
The new Smart phones make it impractical due to cost, but when I was running my Razr, I had four batteries and picked up five (was only after three but it was a lot buy) "recycled" razrs from ebay to keep in the cars along with auto chargers. This gave me dedicated battery chargers for home and the cars as well as the phones my wife and I carried. It allowed us to charge a spare battery while having a fully charged phone in hand.

The Stig
09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Stig, dont take this as an insult, as it isnt meant to be one, and especially not at you of all people. But we at the lab have called those idiot burners from day one. Long and short, double A (AA) batteries are not designed to dump it's complete capacity (ability to source current) in a very short time. Depending on the Batteries chemistry it is capable of sourcing more than 2 amps into a load for a very short period of time before being depleated. Since you are running 3 volts( 2 1.5 volt batteries in series) and fresh batteries that are a minimum of highend alkaline or better and even worse with lithium which sources constant current until almost totally depleated, assuming 2.5 amps, we have 2.5 amps x3 volts =7.5 watts of power the batteries themselves have to dissipate in heat. Doesnt sound like much but this is more than the old fashioned small srew in christmas tree bulbs which were around 3 watts and were taken off the market due to fire safety. Used properly these chargers are not an issue, but the "idiots" referenced in the name we have tagged the chargers with tend to do things like use them in their pockets and end up literally being burned.
The new Smart phones make it impractical due to cost, but when I was running my Razr, I had four batteries and picked up five (was only after three but it was a lot buy) "recycled" razrs from ebay to keep in the cars along with auto chargers. This gave me dedicated battery chargers for home and the cars as well as the phones my wife and I carried. It allowed us to charge a spare battery while having a fully charged phone in hand.

Thanks for the reminder but yea, I read about them becoming very hot. These are really only for very emergency situations and only to provide enough juice to make a call, not really to act as a full blown recharging unit.

dragon5126
10-05-2011, 11:15 AM
The problem is they market them as "chargers", which they shouldnt do, they should just call them what they are OR better yet, just add a few more cells cut back on the electronics in it by replacing them with a simple 5 volt regulator and there would be no problem at all. It wouldnt over heat and would work as a limited charger and power supply, all it would need is 4 cells to take it to 6 volts, an on switch, a 5 volt zener diode and a resistor and if they wanted to get fancy they could replace the zener with a 7805 voltage regulator.

Stormfeather
10-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Im still trying to figure out the caller ID function on my phone. . . . :rolleyes:

The Stig
10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I'd like to apologize to the membership for the behavior of several members in this thread.

The offending posts have been deleted so the subject may resume without distraction.

For clarification: posts about actual usage of the product or why this product would/wouldn't be a good idea to make a quick emergency call in a SHTF situation are considered "on subject".

Esoteric theoretical musings about the product, or a discussion about finer points of watts vs amps would be considered "off topic".

TroubleShooter
10-08-2011, 01:18 AM
I have had one for about a year, used it twice...They are good to get you out of a bind , running mobile hotspot and GPS lasted about 1/2 hr...The batteries were sucked dead....Turn the phone off and let charge it will give about 1/2 bat. indicator on my phone, if at any time it is hooked up, replace batteries they are drained.
Mine does not have extensions it plugs directly into phone.....It is a backup, expect nothing more.....Mine does not get hot. Worth the money for my operation.

dragon5126
10-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Thank you Stig
I appreciate the spank.