PDA

View Full Version : Incredible off Grid

Vodin
03-28-2015, 02:19 AM
Wow! This is just plain amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sadOfmkTtpw#t=40

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing real situations kinda of opens ones eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VLQkdq74kk

bacpacker
03-28-2015, 03:47 AM
That is an awesome house and what a fantastic view. Downside, I would hate to try and grow my food up there. Bet that would be tough.

Domeguy
03-30-2015, 12:21 AM
It may be politically incorrect, but I like my large home. I feel you can a larger sq. ft. house and still be environmentally responsible.

realist
03-30-2015, 04:02 AM
I will take the first one you can have the second one.

We are looking at building several tiny homes on our property with one being the main house for cooking and meetings. The first one, the main one, hopefully will be up this summer and then one each year for the next couple of years.

Sniper-T
03-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Pretty sweet set up, and incredible workmanship, both inside and out. I am not too sure how 'practical' it is, having to go for a jug of milk by snowmobile, down a mountain. Or more accurately... needing one to get back up. Pretty tough to snowboard up.

jamesneuen
03-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Hand crank little lift system?

robsdak
03-30-2015, 02:47 PM
It may be politically incorrect, but I like my large home. I feel you can a larger sq. ft. house and still be environmentally responsible.

i second this motion. give me my 2550 sq.ft. any day. little houses are cool/neat, but for other people to enjoy.

jamesneuen
03-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Eh, i think there is a balance. After my mother died my father remarried to a widow and neither of them wanted a house with memories tied to it so they built a brand new one that is WAY TOO DAMN BIG for the two of them. This thing is 3 stories including a basement with 3 car garage and all sorts of other bullshit rooms. It's like they decided to plan on all 5 of their children and grandchildren returning to live with them. Not sure of the square footage but it's just stupid.

I like the house I am renting now. 3 bedroom 2 bath, a living room and full kitchen with laundry in the kitchen. The only thing I would add is a decent size garage and a bit bigger kitchen. This is almost perfect sized for my family.

helomech
03-30-2015, 11:13 PM
My house is just over 1000 sq feet. Will be plenty big enough once all the kids are gone.

Sniper-T
03-30-2015, 11:36 PM
no kids... 1000ish sf house plenty big for us... ok for a visiting couple, tight-ish for a visiting couple with kids! SHTF... mattresses and sleeping bags hit the floor. Welcome aboard to those invited! Stay the hell out of my room!

lol

Domeguy
03-31-2015, 12:16 AM
If you haven't figured it out yet, I live in a dome. With the sunroom, it's about 3300 sq ft. A large portion of that is the living room/dinning room that takes almost half of the bottom floor. Everything else is about regular sized, but I don't feel the house is two big.

Vodin
03-31-2015, 01:10 AM
It is interesting to read all of your thoughts. I spoke to my wife about it and she said it would be neat to live in BUT..

1>Needs a bathroom
2>Needs Fast internet
3>Running water

And she can live there. Oh and a little bigger :)

bacpacker
03-31-2015, 01:20 AM
Our house is just under 1500sq ft, plus a unfinished basement we park in. Plenty for us, ok for a second couple. more than that and I'm ready to shoot someone. :)
We have talked about downsizing a little should we build again. Most likely will to between 800-1000. Our biggest issue is storage space. We just don't have enough so our spare bedroom/hamshack ends up being a catch all which drives us both nuts. I do like having the cars in the basement. Easy out in bad weather, frost, snow and no one can see what you have brought home with you.
Wife agrees that a bathroom/running water is a must.

ak474u
03-31-2015, 02:04 AM
My wife considers a ramada inn without a kitchenette "camping". Lol

realist
03-31-2015, 04:51 AM
Vodin what are you talking about.....when the snow melts there is running water..........for the bathroom what's wrong with peeing off the deck..............when you are on top of a hill like that you probably have good internet or at least satellite.

Domeguy
03-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Just curious......I'm 6' 3" tall. Is there any one else here very tall or (forgive me here) very short, and do you think this might be an influence as to what you think is a large or small space. If you take a basic room, maybe 10' x 10', I would consider it to be small. Would someone who is 5' tall consider the same room to be large?

bacpacker
03-31-2015, 12:29 PM
DG, I am 6-4, the wife is 4=11. And yes our concept of space is different.

Vodin
03-31-2015, 05:21 PM
realist, it isn't me with the proble.. issue. Smell like the wild and the animals wont think you are a guest :) Ok I told her to take a shower in the rain bathe in the stream bed. But we are on the same page.

For a woman terrified of breathing underwater it only took me 4 years to get her SCUBA certified granted everyday I had to say "Awww come on it aint like that.. just try it!"

I am almost Jedi material with that mind control thing :)

ALERT!!! I was just informed Women cant pee off the deck they would pee on themselves.
(Afterwords I quickly added we can install a rope so she can hang outwith her feet on the deck.

Height well I was taller 5'9", now I am 5'8" due to a curiosity incident.

bacpacker
03-31-2015, 11:49 PM
The like a good idea to me.

Sniper-T
04-02-2015, 01:38 PM

ALERT!!! I was just informed Women cant pee off the deck they would pee on themselves.
(Afterwords I quickly added we can install a rope so she can hang outwith her feet on the deck...

Actually... they can! women can now stand and pee like any man can!

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID6920/images/gogirl-funnel.jpg

From here:
http://shewee.ca/

And women are now liberated!

Vodin
04-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Just let it go Sniper-T.. this is a woman that we are dealing with and it could become an issue. :)

Sniper-T
04-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Hey... I can push the buttons... Mrs sniper can pee off the side of a floating canoe, without any toys, and does regularly! She can also in the wilderness off a snomo track in 4 feet of snow. I guess outdoor 'skills' are just a Canadian thing...

sorry no pics available!!!!

Domeguy
04-04-2015, 02:37 AM
No pics available ....Very Funny...lol

Sniper-T
04-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Not saying I don't have pics... just saying that she's start with a Bobbit, and then get just plain mean if I ever posted them!