PDA

View Full Version : Expired drugs

Socalman
03-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Excuse me if this has been discussed previously. I searched a bit but failed to find a thread on it.

There has been discussion regarding expiration dates on food items but what about various drugs?

Several years ago I had a horrible back problem and over several months the docs gave me several prescriptions for pain killers, gradually getting stronger from simple tylenol to Dilauded and Morphine, all in tablet or capsule form. Usually they gave something stronger as what had been prescribed a few days before was useless. I have several bottles of pain killers in my medicine cabinet that could be used in an emergency. Or could they? How long do these drugs last beyond the dates listed?

As far as antibiotics go, they are always taken for the full course, usually 10 - 14 days. I don't think I would trust these for more than maybe a year past the date.

Someone with good knowledge of drugs care to enlighten us?

Sniper-T
03-30-2015, 11:27 AM
I keep everything that's left over. I don't know if it is smart or not, but I figure if the situation is dire enough to be taking expired drugs, then they'll be better than nothing, and that includes antibiotics (I rarely complete a cycle).

I know that with the painkillers I have, they don't lose their potentcy for at least 5 years (that's the oldest I have and took one last week).

Not saying this is 'right', just my observations.

jamesneuen
03-30-2015, 11:30 AM
I got an overabundance of meds from my back surgery, I vacuum sealed them in 1/4 pint jars with the label inside.

helomech
03-30-2015, 11:05 PM
Don't forget about pet antibiotics and pain killers. Every year we buy fish antibiotics and store them in our freezer.

Sniper-T
03-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Why in the freezer? I have a plethora of 'fish-mox' that I just store in a cool dark place. Twice, I have taken them instead of a prescribed amoxicillin, worked great! I would like to know if freezing will make them last longer...

helomech
03-30-2015, 11:48 PM
Why in the freezer? I have a plethora of 'fish-mox' that I just store in a cool dark place. Twice, I have taken them instead of a prescribed amoxicillin, worked great! I would like to know if freezing will make them last longer...

Because it extends the life. Why not use the fridge while it is working?

Sniper-T
03-30-2015, 11:52 PM
Uh... Duh!

makes sense!

jamesneuen
03-31-2015, 01:07 AM
Why do they last longer? Lack of moisture in air? Might be a stupid question but there are only a few drugs I know of that need to be kept cold for shelf life and a few that should NEVER be except for desired effects.

Illini Warrior
03-31-2015, 01:24 AM
three part series specifically concerning expired medicines by Dr Cynthia Koelker MD (Armageddon Medicine)

http://armageddonmedicine.net/?p=517

Vodin
03-31-2015, 01:25 AM
I hate to be the bad news bear but

Certain drugs over time lose their effectiveness.

Other drugs will become toxic.

I researched Fish Mox / Amoxicillan
The old Amoxicillin will not hurt you, but is probably too old to be as effective as it should be

Source: HealthTap, https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/6658432#

And another quote.

A Special Note About Expired Antibiotics

You should not keep expired antibiotics to use at a later date. However, the reason has less to do with the expiration date and more to do with how antibiotics work.

For example, let’s say you have 4 or 5 antibiotic pills left from an older prescription, and you’re thinking that you should keep them and take them later if you start feeling sick again over the winter. This is not a good idea for a number of reasons:

Doing so could actually help the bacteria become more drug resistant.
A few leftover antibiotic pills are not enough to rid the bacteria from your body.
You would be self-diagnosing which can be very dangerous. What you think is a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics (because the symptoms are similar to what you had before) may in fact be a viral infection that antibiotics will do absolutely nothing for.

Therefore, when it comes to expired antibiotics, you should always dispose of any leftover pills or liquid antibiotic prescriptions — regardless of the date on the packaging. Antibiotics are one expired medication you don’t want to mess with.

So if you have medications research what you have. And then make the decision.

Illini Warrior
03-31-2015, 01:41 AM
three part series specifically concerning expired medicines by Dr Cynthia Koelker MD (Armageddon Medicine)

http://armageddonmedicine.net/?p=517

2die4
03-31-2015, 05:46 AM
Pain killers last a while. When the need arises I'm taking "expired" Voltarin and Flexril from 4 years ago and it still does the job.

helomech
04-01-2015, 12:05 PM
I hate to be the bad news bear but

Certain drugs over time lose their effectiveness.

Other drugs will become toxic.

I researched Fish Mox / Amoxicillan
The old Amoxicillin will not hurt you, but is probably too old to be as effective as it should be

Source: HealthTap, https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/6658432#

And another quote.

A Special Note About Expired Antibiotics

You should not keep expired antibiotics to use at a later date. However, the reason has less to do with the expiration date and more to do with how antibiotics work.

For example, let’s say you have 4 or 5 antibiotic pills left from an older prescription, and you’re thinking that you should keep them and take them later if you start feeling sick again over the winter. This is not a good idea for a number of reasons:

Doing so could actually help the bacteria become more drug resistant.
A few leftover antibiotic pills are not enough to rid the bacteria from your body.
You would be self-diagnosing which can be very dangerous. What you think is a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics (because the symptoms are similar to what you had before) may in fact be a viral infection that antibiotics will do absolutely nothing for.

Therefore, when it comes to expired antibiotics, you should always dispose of any leftover pills or liquid antibiotic prescriptions — regardless of the date on the packaging. Antibiotics are one expired medication you don’t want to mess with.

So if you have medications research what you have. And then make the decision.

I agree with this in most situations, but in a SHTF I will be happy to have some old medicines around. Way better odds than not having any.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do they last longer? Lack of moisture in air? Might be a stupid question but there are only a few drugs I know of that need to be kept cold for shelf life and a few that should NEVER be except for desired effects.

Because it is a cool, dark, environment.

Sniper-T
04-02-2015, 03:07 AM
I agree with this in most situations, but in a SHTF I will be happy to have some old medicines around. Way better odds than not having any.

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo!!! yep I fully concur!

I'm a horrible pill person. For anything, including antibiotics. typically I take them just long enough for the black streaks running up my limb from the injury start to recede, and then I let my body's own immune system clear it out.

I bought a crapload of fish-mox in 2012, and have not filled a prescription for anything else since!

Fish-mox rocks!!!

Vodin
04-03-2015, 12:05 AM
I agree medication for SHTF is a benefit but it is better to have the background information lack of info can kill.

"So if you have medications research what you have. And then make the decision."

Fish Mox Forte is the adult dosage :)

helomech
04-03-2015, 11:59 AM
We have printed out directions to each one. Listing why to take each one.

Domeguy
04-04-2015, 07:27 AM
I looked on ebay and they have it in 250mg and 500mg. What dosage would an adult take, not suggesting an adult would do so, because suggesting that might be illegal?

jamesneuen
04-04-2015, 12:00 PM
875mg x2 daily for mild infections. knocks even the worst stuff out in a day or two. I know that isn't an option. Just reading it off a script I got a few months ago for a sore throat/upper respiratory infection. Even though it says to finish all the meds, the doc told me to stop 2 days after I started feeling better.

- - - Updated - - -

*disclaimer*
I am in no way am encouraging anyone to take any antibiotic not intended for human consumption. Possible side effects may include, slight gill growth, sudden attraction to quadrupeds of all kinds, and/or unresistable urge to chase your own car.

Sniper-T
04-04-2015, 10:02 PM
I know a guy, who knew a guy, who knew me and would swear that I took single 500 ml doses twice a day during a nasty hand gash infection and was more than happy with the results. Not that I would condone this type of heresy!!

Twitchy
04-05-2015, 03:26 PM
One of the biggest problems that you would encounter with the self diagnosing and administration of medications is the fact that you can't really guarantee you are treating an illness with the correct medication. Aside from that, medications as stated earlier lose potency, and some can become toxic over time. Some medications are prescribed on a basis of weight, and that should also be taken into consideration. Some medications have very narrow therapeutic ranges as well that can vary person to person. It would be ill advised, and irresponsible to do anything like this without a decent understanding of physiology, pharmacology, and other training / knowledge. Fidel, MD might be able to shed more light on this as well.

helomech
04-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Like I said above. If the SHTF and my arm has a red line running up it, and I am running a fever, I will take my chances with hand fulls of what ever antibiotics I can get my hands on.

Currently I would go to the doctor.

Domeguy
04-06-2015, 04:13 AM
I know a guy, who knew a guy, who knew me and would swear that I took single 500 ml doses twice a day during a nasty hand gash infection and was more than happy with the results. Not that I would condone this type of heresy!!

I'm very glad to hear you didn't take them, and that your hand didn't get better....or something.....