PDA

View Full Version : Shooter ready?

ElevenBravo
04-11-2015, 01:27 AM
So, I put Lil'Bravo through some simulated USPSA shooting running dry fire here in the house. The move stage (later on in practice) was reloading on the way to another room...

Start with draw stroke and single fire.

Moved to draw stroke and controlled pair (CP from here on).

CP on single target, mag change, CP.

CP on three targets, pivot on hips, reload, CP on three targets.

Same as above, except add at the end cycle slide and show RO empty chamber.

Transition/Moving phase

Three targets set up in another room down the hall from the living room... They are not in line and not the same height (as they are in the living room).

CP on three targets, mag change, CP on three targets, moving mag change (Is this even USPSA legal??), CP on three (new) targets, mag change, CP on three targets... clear and show clear... holster weapon, range is safe.

Whew... We "played" for about 2 hours, tomorrow we do the same with live ammo.

Its best to observe and practice in a safe/dry environment before moving on to REAL bullets!

Im very happy she is practicing good trigger discipline, index finger is ON the ejection port when NOT firing... This is the ultimate in SAFE firearms handling, AND will keep her from getting a DQ on a match!

-EQUIPMENT DETAILS-
Weapon: M&P 40
Holster: Blackhawk SERPA
Mag Holders: Basic Uncle Mikes open top Kydex, tension adjusted with screw (Good holders for $20 each!)
Mags: Always M&P factory, count = 5
Targets: Fist size circle on notebook paper at 12 feet

That is all...
EB

Sniper-T
04-12-2015, 01:19 AM
Sounds awesome! pics?

ElevenBravo
04-12-2015, 03:01 PM
No, no pix.. We did live fire yesterday, she did pretty good for a 1st timer.. I didnt shoot video because it makes Lil "nervous".

I was NOT impressed with the accuracy of the 155gn 40 I shot, I ordered 180gn and they never got them in, so after a month of waiting I accepted 155gn with a 100rnd kicker for my troubles. The crimp is horrific (pulled 4 bullets at random). Ill not be buying any more reloaded ammo from Expansion Industries, though I do think there ETR7 powder is pretty good and continue to use it in my reloads.

Anywho... were moving right along, as they say.

Ive got quite a few 180s that Ive reloaded but the desire to bank ammo, and to shoot ammo... are conflicting!!

More to follow as the story unfolds...

EB

jamesneuen
04-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Not to sound discouraging but shooting under pressure is a good thing to learn. Tons of people shoot well by themselves but add in a bit of adrenaline and pressure from people watching and they fall apart. Great way to simulate is have them do a sprint or two very short distance, just enough to get the heart up and then run to the bench, pick up, clear, load, shoot, move, repeat. Adding movement to get the heart rate up gives a bit of real world accuracy to it. Shooter accuracy typically decreases by almost 40% when adrenaline kicks in.

Video is a great teaching aid though. Especially when people aren't in-tune with themselves enough to realize the mistakes they may be making. (ie. anticipation, heeling, slapping) I would tell her it is for her benefit and will only be viewed by the two of you. (and stick to that) I had a ton of video's from me shooting that my wife took and I can see mistakes I am making that slow me down that I'm not even aware of. (not locking elbow back during reloads, shifting grip every few shots)

All in all though "bravo" to you for doing things right! A little dry trigger time reduces tons of wasted ammo. My wife calls me weird for shooting people on the screen of a movie we are watching whenever they pop up. Wilson from the TV show House is a good example. Someone who pops up randomly without warning but you know will eventually show up.

ElevenBravo
04-12-2015, 08:49 PM
I 100% agree with you James!

jamesneuen
04-13-2015, 04:05 AM
Didn't mean to rant. I miss having people to teach. Much less a decent place to shoot.

Socalman
04-19-2015, 11:19 PM
I trust the live ammo was not fired in the living room!

Great to get them going young. My son started with a pump BB gun around 7 and a CO2 pistol a few years later. 29 years later he is a good solid shooter and wants to get his daughter, almost 7, learning good fundamentals soon.