PDA

View Full Version : Best bean varieties

Socalman
04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
We have never done canning of beans but plan to this season. I am wondering what variety of green pole beans, or other beans, you have found to be good for canning and stand up to the process. In my seed stock, I currently have Blue Lake and Kentucky Wonder. Currently I have to plantings of the Blue Lakes up. We have a long growing season here, so I have plenty of time. I plan to put in another planting in about 7 - 10 days.

Just do to some age issues and a former injury, the kneeling down to harvest bush beans is something I do not care to do anymore.

bacpacker
04-20-2015, 01:12 AM
Can't help you much with the green beans. We only grow shell (dried) beans.

Caveman Survival
04-20-2015, 01:33 AM
I love asian long beans and scarlet runner beans. Both I have had great success with, both growing and canning.

Sniper-T
04-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Try growing your bush beans in raised beds. I did a couple varieties last year in a 2' high bed, and harvesting was a breeze. I dried all mine, so I'm not sure about the canning.

Socalman
08-03-2015, 03:45 PM
I also planted a variety of bean called "Sultan's Crescent." I got the seeds through www.Seedsavers.org. The mature beans develop a little more curve than the Blue Lakes and Kentucky Wonder. I have noticed that they seem to do well with a little less water than the other two varieties, something that is currently of great importance here in So. Calif. The taste seems to be the same, though I have not done a side by side comparison.

ak474u
08-05-2015, 02:53 AM
We've planted our second crop of purple bush beans, they turn green when steamed and are SUPER tasty. They're shaded by okra so they don't get full sun in this sweltering heat.

realist
08-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Gophers have been a problem with our garden over the years. We would plant three rows of bush beans and harvest, if we were lucky, one row. So this year I got a wild hare up my _ and put in raised beds. Well the significant other planted three rows in one and three rows later on in another. Needless to say the gophers did not get any and we are up to our necks in green beans. The freezer can only take so much and the kids are rebelling. The next raised bed crop should come in in the next week and I might try to can some so it it works I'll let you know. The wife does not like the idea because she says they get mushy......

We got squash tooooooooo

Socalman
09-10-2015, 02:48 PM
The drought here in California has really had a negative impact on our garden. We are under mandatory water reduction of 28% over 2013. While we have managed to keep our garden going, it has not gotten the water it normally does and the production is WAY DOWN over the past. Even my zucchini which is normally out of control is down. Both our bean varieties are less prolific and the pods not as full as we normally have. Mulching as much as possible has not helped much as the heat has been higher then average. The one bright spot has been the butternut squash seems to be doing well. First time I have grown it and should start to harvest in about a month.

Katrina
09-11-2015, 04:33 AM
Socal, my grandmother used to do the Blue Lake beans but I think she blanched them first and dumped them in an Ice bath before canning them. Hers seemed to stay crisper when they came out of the jars, but it's been so long I could be remembering wrong.

realist
09-13-2015, 02:54 AM
Socal you need to get out to the country. We do and have a well with great water so there is no drought in our garden. We planted Blue Lake and Yellow wax beans and as I said they are great. So the better half pickled some of the beans. They are easy to make and taste outstanding. We made them a little spicy but they still need to set for a couple more weeks before they have the best flavor. We have found Crater Lake hot green pepper vodka, bloody Mary mix and a garnish of these beans makes all the days troubles go away..............and if they don't, we can have another one for breakfast.