PDA

View Full Version : Small Scale Drip irrigation system

2die4
04-22-2015, 04:55 AM
I moved into the new place in February and couldn't wait to get my garden set up. I started the garden on Monday and realized I needed to set up a watering system. I found a handy video on Youtube that seems easy and really cheap to make. I went out and bought the hose and outlets and Pet smart for under $18. Amazon would have probably have all the parts for under the $10 the video claims. I was all ready to tear into my project when the wife asked me what was I building. I told her and showed her the video. She said that's really neat but why don't you turn the sprinklers on? All I could say was Damnit. Situational awarness fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNoL13ptJ6Y

Sniper-T
04-22-2015, 12:13 PM
lol. Now that's funny!

bacpacker
04-22-2015, 12:42 PM
IMO drip is 100% better than sprinklers. Water goes directly to the root zo e and very little evaporation occurs. Also since you aren't wetting the foilage, diseases are mu h reduced.

2die4
04-22-2015, 08:58 PM
IMO drip is 100% better than sprinklers. Water goes directly to the root zo e and very little evaporation occurs. Also since you aren't wetting the foilage, diseases are mu h reduced.

I have read that drip irrigation usually produces higher yeilds. I'll have to see how the sprinklers hit the garden bed. I may see if I could turn off the one pointed at the bed.

ak474u
04-22-2015, 10:30 PM
I have read that drip irrigation usually produces higher yeilds. I'll have to see how the sprinklers hit the garden bed. I may see if I could turn off the one pointed at the bed.

I capped the sprinklers that spray the garden. Can't use them often enough during water restrictions anyway. I just hand water, but I may need a drip system now, we did drip for strawberries and onions already, but the sheer volume of raised beds I have now may require it.

bacpacker
04-23-2015, 12:55 AM
Check outhttp://www.dripdepot.com

No affiliation, but I have purchased he'd some from them and have been pleased to this point.