PDA

View Full Version : Seal a gunshot wound in 15 seconds

Sniper-T
05-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Now this is pretty freakin' cool!

http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/how-simple-new-invention-seals-gunshot-wound-15-seconds

Fidel MD
05-01-2015, 12:30 PM
If it really works as advertised, in real life.

Keep in mind, all those little plugs still have to be surgically removed.

Something I learned in med school - don't be the first to adopt new technology, don't be the last to adopt new technology, and whatever you do, don't screw with the liver....

jamesneuen
05-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Yeah but what's equally uncool is the price tag. I like the idea behind it though. Anything that makes it easier to use and increases your chances of survival is a win to me.

Sniper-T
05-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Actually, I emailed this to a friend, who was a medic in Nam, and he responded with a resounding...

WTF???

They carried tampons, of different sizes... shove one into the hole and let it do its thing. At hospital, one pull, and wound tract is clear.

kinda makes a whole lotta sense!

Stormfeather
05-08-2015, 06:50 AM
We still do carry tampons in our IFAK's, and the experienced medics grimace every time they see them. Granted they work, but theres so many other options that are better nowadays on the market available to a deploying soldier.

Fidel MD
05-08-2015, 09:55 AM
No, they don't work...except to give the uneducated a feeling that they are doing something.

Read. Learn... http://privatebloggins.ca/?p=1026

A package of kerlix (much less combat gauze) is far more effective than a tampon.

bacpacker
05-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Really well written article le. It explains stuff I had no idea about as far as stopping blood flow. Thanks for the link.

Stormfeather
05-09-2015, 03:51 AM
Having had a hole in my side plugged with one,(riccochet with non-arterial bleeding in the middle of a engagement with multiple wounded) I can attest that while not the most effective, it does work. And in a mass-casualty incident, we use what we have on hand.