PDA

View Full Version : How prepared are you?

Socalman
05-03-2015, 02:58 AM
If the SHTF later today, how prepared are you?

Imagine that you can no longer purchase anything from stores, you can not get any money from banks or ATMs, gas stations are closed and the electricity is down. It is unknown just how long these conditions will last. Perhaps they were brought on by weather, an earthquake or terrorism. The reason does not matter.

How long can you survive on what you have right now?

helomech
05-03-2015, 03:40 AM
I can do pretty good. Life would be hard, but I have everything we NEED to survive. Would have to kill lots of our critters because they would have to feed themselves, got way to many for that right now. Heck we get over 2 dozen eggs a day, we could live on just that if needed for a long time. All in all, I am pretty set up, not finished but we can live.

Sniper-T
05-03-2015, 07:14 AM
It would be a pile of hard work to start, but I am, and have been working towards self sufficiency since I bought my land 8 years ago. Without electricity, I could run my Gen for about a month on the gas I have on hand. That would allow me to smoke and dehydrate and can all my freezers full of meat and veggies.

After that, I step back into the 1800's, and carry on. I see some lifestyle changes, but very little else would change. life goes on.

Um... if you can arrange it, 2 weeks from next Thursday would be a good time for me!

Tx.

jamesneuen
05-03-2015, 11:24 AM
I would last about a month and towards the end of that I would have to look at getting the hell out of the area as all of the supplies would be used up and there are no varied renewable sources for food. Plenty of fish but no veggies or fruit.

Depends on what happens as to if I would leave or not but I would most likely have to for any long term event.

Socalman
05-03-2015, 01:28 PM
The purpose of the original post was simply for you to take stock of your current state of preps. One thing I did not put in my original post is that EMP is NOT a factor. Electronics will still work if you have power.

jamesneuen
05-03-2015, 01:41 PM
So what kind of SHTF scenario are you thinking of?

Strike that, just economic inflation would be enough for what you set up.

Sniper-T
05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Head North James! You would be welcome here... very!

jamesneuen
05-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Lol thanks ST. That would actually be a very real possibility. I have a hand powered gas pump, a full tank of gas and plenty of guns and ammo to travel with. Everything else I can make up as I go along.

Not sure how much the kids would like that though. They only know warm weather.

Definitely would not be staying here for very long though. Nothing grows and almost zero fresh water.

Socalman
05-03-2015, 11:20 PM
So what kind of SHTF scenario are you thinking of?

Strike that, just economic inflation would be enough for what you set up.

It could be caused by extreme weather, a tornado or hurricane, an earthquake, perhaps civil unrest or a terror strike. I am not thinking of biological or chemical terror. It could be the destruction of a major power plant or highway. I am not thinking of a TEOTWAWKI event, simply something that may last from a week to several months. Think of the destruction left by Katrina.

jamesneuen
05-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Fair enough. My answer stands as is then.

helomech
05-03-2015, 11:56 PM
A week or a month is no problem. I would have to really ration my fuel usage, but will be able to take showers and keep the freezer cold for a month. Hoping to get my freezer with solar power soon, but it probably wont happen for a while.

Vodin
05-04-2015, 11:03 PM
To my dismay I live in a neighborhood. I have the supplies to allow my family and I to endure for a period of time. The issue that will be difficult if not impossible is the sanitation needs. Let me repeat I live in a neighborhood. It wont be us but everyone else. Peeps need to pee and poop. Dispose of garbage. How will I be able to deal with how they do that. I cant say what will occur. So that is where I cant say a certain length of time.

jamesneuen
05-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Vodin, I have a hand operated post hole digger, we used one like it when I was in boy scouts to make a rough latrine. Dug a narrow but deep hole and kept the dirt in a bucket next to it with a shovel. Every time you go just sprinkle a bit of dirt on top. Kept the smells down and was easy to make another when it got full. A single hole lasted 5 of us for almost a full week depending on who was cooking.

Not sure of your situation specifics but figured I would offer it as food for thought.

Grumpy Old Man
05-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Vodin, I have a hand operated post hole digger, we used one like it when I was in boy scouts to make a rough latrine. Dug a narrow but deep hole and kept the dirt in a bucket next to it with a shovel. Every time you go just sprinkle a bit of dirt on top. Kept the smells down and was easy to make another when it got full. A single hole lasted 5 of us for almost a full week depending on who was cooking.

Not sure of your situation specifics but figured I would offer it as food for thought.

Make sure to have Masonry lime (CaOH) to throw in after each use to aid in decomposition.

bacpacker
05-05-2015, 01:34 AM
Great point with the post hole diggers and Lime.

Normally I have 20+ gallons of desiel on hand, but I've been working quite a bit and only have 5-7 at the moment. Gotta replenish that ASAP. Food and water, we would be good for 6 months minimum and the garden will be coming in as well. Plus plenty of time left this growing season to add a lot more.

Fatty
05-05-2015, 11:55 PM
1 -2 months of fuel depending on season and whatever else would be available in the propane tank. 6 months max.

Vodin
05-06-2015, 01:53 AM
I am sorry I must not have emphasized it enuf. My sanitation is not an issue. It is all of the others in the neighborhood. I dont have a bug/mice/rat/stink/disease removal plan to cover all of the peeps in my area.

jamesneuen
05-06-2015, 02:20 AM
Ah gotcha. My bad

Domeguy
05-06-2015, 04:26 AM
Our place pretty much runs itself until something breaks down. I don't have livestock to deal with, or anything else that can't just wait until I get around to it. If the grass gets high, so what! For 3 months, my wife and I are good. I would have to ration some meds, and the wife would not be able to get to work, as I would expect gasoline would be pretty hard to come by. But as one of only 2 nurses working in our county, the state might make arrangements for her. Other than that, we have food and water, plenty of wood for cooking, cleaning, and hygiene. I would loose some weight hauling water up from the spring, so that's a positive. I don't have a garden as of yet, but we have enough food stored. It would get warm, but not overpowering with no AC, as I would open the windows in the cupola creating a natural heat chimney. It would be kind of boring with no tv, or internet, but if the wife is at home, she can still cheat me at cards.

Katrina
05-06-2015, 04:38 AM
I'm not sure.We have the means to cook food, predisposing the natural gas lines are shut down and we've run thru any residual gas that may have been in the lines for the stand by gennie(no electricity) and have enough food and water to last about 6-8 months with means to grow some veggies, some fruit and herbs. We are also in a neighborhood and while we know a couple of neighbors, the rest?????. We would bury the human (and cats) waste far enough from house. My only worry is the sump. It has a twelve hour back battery up but no means to recharge it to keep basement from flooding after the twelve hours. I am working on solar and possibly a wind turbine to keep that going at the least but it's hard trying to save money right now. Due to family situation I've not been keeping up on things as well as I think I should.

Sniper-T
05-06-2015, 09:12 PM
With our outhouses, the biggest problem is they get filled up with solids, and there isn't enough liquid for the stuff to break down. So what we used to do(growing up), a few times a year was carry about 20 5 gallon pails of water, and 'flush' them. Now, I have mine, and my buddy's set up with an automatic flusher. a simple eaves trough on the back and a down spout with an elbow to shoot the water in. haven't had to dig a new hole in 20+ years!

Alas Babylon
05-07-2015, 07:37 PM
A similar question was recently posed on another forum I follow, so rather than retype and adapt it, I'll just post my answers to the questions that were asked. It was based on long term SHTF.

In a short term event without loss of rule of law, I think everything would be fine, long term WROL situationwould be different, as it adds the need to constantly protect persons and resources. A lot of my long term plan includes invites I have made to a few select others to join. Answers would change based on how many and who show up. If none show, then I'm probably screwed when the MZB's show up (that's mutant zombie bikers to those of you that don't read prepper fiction)

Sleep = Do you have someone who can watch over you while you sleep? Currently only me the wife and a 7 year old, so not realistically. If invited folks show, then no problem.

Hygiene = Can you bath? Brush your Teeth? Wipe your ass? (For how long?) have lots of soap, know how to make soap (need to try), not enough shampoo (about a years worth): tons of toothpaste, brushes, floss: about 4 month Tp, but a large stash of clean hand towels, a spray cleaner and a method to use, wash, and re-use.

Food Per Serving = How many days? (Two Meals a Day) For my immediate family of 3 - about 4-6 months regular food, includes beans, rice, etc, and about another 6 months long term storage food.

Numbers = How many people could you field for defense? (One Pistol one rifle per/ full and equal # of mags) I could fully equip 6 people

Bullets = How many times could you reload your magazines? (Assuming each fire fight were to cost you 100 rounds per person) 100 times, including rifle and pistol, about 75 just rifle.

Medical = What kinds of wounds can you handle? Can you bandage multiple persons? Can you perform dressing changes after the fact? I have all the basics, but need more in the gauze and bandage areas. Have surgical kit, sutures and staplers, dental emergency kits, trauma kits, no serious pain killers or internal antibiotics. Problem is not trained beyond basic first aid. Do have a degree in Biology, if that helps. Have invited 2 doctors and a surgical PA and her fiance the dentist, so if they show I'm good to go.

Comms = Could you get a message out to a Friend 20 miles away? (Without Phone) probably not - 2 Cb's, 4 FRS, and 1 cheap handheld ham that I don't know how to use.

Fuel = How many times can you refill your tank? (Assuming no EMP and you traveled far enough to use a tank of gas) 4 or more (the value of having boats with big gas tanks. Plus diesel in the truck and in storage cans for the tractor.

Garden = Are you capable of starting a food source? (Doesn't matter where, I'm sure you would find a place.) absolutely, better if I stay where I am, as I already have it in place,- garden, fruit including citrus, apples, plums, grapes, sugar cane and a cane grinder, a few other exotics for flavors like pineapple. Chickens for eggs. but can try to make it work anyplace I can stay put for 4 months, if I bring my seeds.(time to get crops to harvest). Problems would be bugs and plant disease, natural problems like hail or flood-even and inch of standing water. also native plants to harvest.

Other considerations - live in a farming community with goats, cattle, and horses all around (if I can trader for goats, that would be great). 2 wells, a pond and a wetland on property. Hand pump for shallow well that provides drinkable water. Lots of water filtration filters available. 800 watts of solar electric - not a lot but will keep batteries charged- 3 12 volt inverters. 500 gallons of rainwater elevated 8 feet above ground to provide low pressure water for toilets or whatever. septic tank to keep sanitary conditions flowing. solar shower bags. (tested when my original well collapsed 2 years ago)
Biggest shortfalls - Civilization is catching up to my area. about 500-1000 new homes being built withint 3 mile radius. Defence and personnel - If people invited show up, that will be covered as well. I have empty sandbags, but not enough. vacant lot two homes up the road has piles of railroad ties I plan on snatching up for defensive positions for my place and my neighbors (he is also loaded with firearms and ammo) Have invited various folks to come out that appear to think in similar fashion and they should bring their own supplies and/ or needed skills. If everyone shows, we may need to take over the vacant home across the street. lots of room in the house, can convert the barn and child playfort to living quarters, also can put people up in the boat cabins. Big concern is that we all get along. I added it up and if everyone shows, its 14 adults and 3 kids. then there are a few others I would not turn away even though they are not part of my plan. I assume not everyone will make it. Also, more people mean more needed resources. That could really strain things. I can provide a location but not the resources for everyone. Bugging out would be an issue, and I am terribly unorganized with my stuff.
Above all, without security and defense, none of this matters.

robsdak
07-20-2015, 02:24 PM
just catching up on a few threads.

i would do fine. food stores put up will tide me/us over until the garden produces. guns and ammo, i have 1 rifle and 3 bullets. :)

realist
07-23-2015, 04:33 AM
I think we would do alright with the exception for fuel but even then we would smoke everything in the freezer before the fuel ran out. I am looking at a propane option for a freezer since we have a 500 gallon tank. We have a couple of great water source. The garden is in its prime now. We are getting about a shopping bag of beans a night, another bag of squash. Our fruit trees are doing well. All my neighbors have livestock and we all get along and work together at times.

For my place the one thing we do not have is numbers of people immediately here. If I need to leave here I have a couple of places. If I need to get away right away I have another place I can get to 20 miles north which is a fall back location to see us through which has everything.

Socalman
07-23-2015, 02:32 PM
I have been giving some more thought to our situation. While we have a garden that would provide a decent amount of fresh veggies, if the electricity goes south our water will soon go south and we will have no way to irrigate. We have experienced a loss of electricity due to Southern California brush fires and once the large tank higher on the hillside is depleted we have no water pressure, making irrigation almost impossible. Looks like we need to stock more canned goods.