PDA

View Full Version : Going to a new city

The Stig
08-10-2011, 09:47 PM
After traveling the same area for nearly 15 years, I got to know my way around a host of cities on Indiana/Ohio/Michigan/Kentucky. I knew what parts of town to avoid, where the good hotels were, short cuts, etc.

Now I'm in a new part of the country and pretty much every city I go to is new to me. I'm back to square one of learning these different tidbits of info.

Fortunately my job entails driving all over the place so over time I'll learn my way round.

How bout you? When you travel to a new city/area do you take any steps to plan ahead?

When you get there do you take time to scout the area out (within reason)?

Study maps before jumping in the family truckster?

bacpacker
08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I always break out my maps before going somewhere I haven't been before. I have a version of DeLorme Topo mapping software, that I use a lot for traveling, looking over properties I may be interested in, route planning for hiking trips, & I've used it to plan out a temporary repeater site for when our radio group was working comms for a bike ride.

I will scout around a little in a new town we are staying in or near, try to find a emergency clinic, hospital, & food stores and backpacking/outdoor stores, stuff like that. Without fail though, we end up going thru the slums, don't matter where we are. That's always interesting!

piranha2
08-10-2011, 11:17 PM
I always ended up in the "wrong" part of town, so now i am being dumbed down by my Garmin GPS.

bacpacker
08-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Funny thing about GPS. Mine has become a lying BITCH! I'm about to the point of getting rid of it. I've had it for awhile and I'm starting to wonder if the maps need to be updated. The only thing is it misses turns that have existed for many years. I've started keeping a map handy again.
I looked into updating the maps, but found the cost of the updates is close to the same price of a new one that comes with lifetime map updates. I've been looking at a TomTom 550M, the M standing for lifetime maps. There is also a T and a TM model, The T is for lifetime traffic updates, TM has both. I've found the M model for $113, it also has a 5" screen.
It's strange how quickly you can end up in a bad area when it seems everything is fine.

LUNCHBOX
08-11-2011, 04:17 AM
I use my TomTom when I'm looking for something particular. I like the idea of picking up a local map also, that gps may not work when you need it later. It's weird that alot of the good stores your looking for are in or near the shit-hoods. Little hole in the wall outdoor stores are great finds if you ask me.

acmetoyco
08-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi All,

First post, long time reader of great stories, also survival info.
Went to Boston recently and before we arrived had a map with Mass Gen. hospital, groc. stores, sporting goods stores etc. marked.
The first thing I did was ask the cab driver which way north was to orient my internal gps. The routes out of the city are also complicated by the tunnels under the water.

The Stig
08-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi All,

Went to Boston recently and before we arrived had a map with Mass Gen. hospital, groc. stores, sporting goods stores etc. marked.
The first thing I did was ask the cab driver which way north was to orient my internal gps. The routes out of the city are also complicated by the tunnels under the water.

Welcome aboard acme. Premium membership on it's way.

That's a great tip about orienting yourself with the directions so you can stay attuned to your situation.

bacpacker
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Welcome in. Some good folks here.

RedJohn
08-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Hi All,

Welcome to you as an Original 100 and Premium for Life member.

apssbc
08-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Hello all, its been a very long time since I've been on. This is a scenario that is hitting close to home now. My girlfriend is a model. She is going to a large agency in New York. I am developing plans to remove her from the city if shtf. The plan has so many variables. Basically I want to get her to bug out up I80 to meet in a city in Pennsylvania. Then I can meet her and pick her up. I am hoping also to try and find family or friends that have moved there that I can trust for a safe house.

mitunnelrat
08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Wow. I just read this after pm'ing you. My offer still stands if there's anything I can do.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-23-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm living this scenario now...having moved from my hometown of 35 yrs to Chattanooga area, and we live in an older part of town, where literally half our street is older retired people, and the back half is what I would deem to be fugitive material. Good news is the police precinct is about 250 yds from the house as the crow flies, and my neighbor across the street, who I've yet to meet, has a big ol' American flag above a big ol' POW/MIA flag, so he's good people I'm sure. But I'm literally just over the GA state line in several directions, and I've learned back roads to take instead of having to rely on interstate/highways. It seems as all the roads lead to the others in some way. Hard to describe, but it does. I can get home via 10 different routes.

bacpacker
08-24-2011, 12:39 AM
All the back roads is awesome info to have. Sorry to hear about thugville down the road.

Kodiak
08-24-2011, 10:05 AM
The wife works about 20-30 miles from home down in Sincinnasty, if something were to pop off i would like for her to have several different routes to get home. I think its time to sit down with her and get a game plan together, not sure if she can read a map so we'll have to work on that first.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Think outside the box too. I have a creek that runs north and south...well it only runs in one direction, but you get my drift...that I could even use to get home if needed in a major emergency type of event. And it's possibly the most direct route.

piranha2
08-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds like you have been prepping. Good info for you to have.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Sounds like you have been prepping. Good info for you to have.

Just thinking things from different angles. I got to add more food up here. My old food stuffs is in my hometown where the folks live, so I think I'll keep it there as a contingency plan. It's not that hard to buy a couple months worth of rice and Chef Boy R Dee. :)