PDA

View Full Version : Sucks!!!

Sniper-T
06-19-2015, 01:58 AM
Enroute home yesterday, just turning into my driveway and I blow a balljoint, Bam!! Truck nosedives into the gravel!

Same one as last time, I'm sure it was because of the POS aftermarket I had to buy last time. called caa and got it towed in, and naturally, it ripped the axle apart again. Upon inspection, the upper on the same side was worn, so they are replacing all four, plus the axle, and then an alignment...

$1000.00+ touch.

What makes this a sucks worthy post is that while on the hoist, it was noticed that my struts are about done, shokes are finished, brakes all around... done, front drive shaft universal wobbley (unlike my soon to be 'new to me Webley), and my rack and pinion bushing is toast!

Estimate from the garage $4000.

I'll be ordering the parts from the states and doing all the extra work myself...

Parts cost <$650.00 CAD

But, What makes this post REALLY... REALLY SUCK, is this means I won't have the scratch to spend a week touring after my Salmon trip, so no visit out East. :(

Sucks!

In retrospect... all the parts mentioned are OE (original Equipment), so with 320,000 km, I am finally forced to replaced what I would consider 'consumable' parts. Yes, My truck is a '98, and I am only now replacing the original brakes! Damn, I love standards!

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0617151634b_zpsalpddksp.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/Sniper-T/media/0617151634b_zpsalpddksp.jpg.html)
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0617151713a_zpsfs9buq3l.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/Sniper-T/media/0617151713a_zpsfs9buq3l.jpg.html)
yep... that's my driveway!

jamesneuen
06-19-2015, 03:10 AM
All I can say is holy shit! I've never seen that happen. Looks like you were turning into your driveway so you were probably going pretty slow but are you ok?

Sniper-T
06-19-2015, 11:49 AM
yep. 5 mph-ish no worries. just a pain in the ass. n Saddest thing is, I had bought the parts and was going to change them on the weekend.

bacpacker
06-19-2015, 01:32 PM
All that does suck. Just glad no injuries or wrecks involved.

Is your truck a toyota? Guess I'm lucky, never had one fail like that. Most all of them had 200k+ miles on them. That was good life on the brakes.

realist
06-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Well that sucks!! Even $650 hurts. I got a flat due to a slash side wall and it is going to cost me about $200. I can't believe how much parts cost. So your are doing it yourself but the garage was going to charge you $4,000? So did they wear a mask and carry a gun???

jamesneuen
06-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Eh, I went to a shop to have my brakes fixed because they were sticking. Guy told me it would be 600 to replace the master brake cylinder, I found the part on amazon for 80 and changed it in half an hour.

Sniper-T
06-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Yep, it's a Toy.

what pisses me off with garages is that they go by the 'book' value for the times... even though multiple items can be changed out at the same time.
brakes:2 hours
Ball joints: 2 hours
shocks: 2hours
which of course counts teardown and put together.
they bill for 6 hours as if they were doing one thing at a time, and putting it back together after each thing rather than doing all three things once it is apart.

I argued this with them in the past, and will argue it again when I pick it up. They usually acquiesce to my logic. lol

realist
06-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Logic? Why on earth would you bring logic into a conversation???? Most people wouldn't think about that, they would just shake their head and have them do it.

James brakes are so easy you just oil them reallllllllll gooooooooooood and then they stop squeaking, course that is the only thing that stops.....

Vodin
06-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Think of the charges like this Sniper-T. Warranty comes with it. If the part fails due to no fault of the tech they need to cover the time involved in replacing the part.

It is a business they wish to be there the next time you may need them. Also there is profit involved so you have funds available to provide gratis service to keep up customer relations.

Another way to look at it. It is your business, your paying the tech, your paying the receptionist, you paying the mortgage on the shop, your paying for all the supplies, your paying taxes (wont go detail on that just saying it is about dbl what you pay), your paying work mans comp, your paying medical insurance it goes on and on with more outgoing money. Then there is the owner he gets paid what is left over..

Ahh then there are vacations the owner pays for, slow no work moments...

Sniper-T
06-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Yep, I realize all that Vodin, and understand... but that doesn't mean I can't try to talk them down a little...

;)

Willie51
06-20-2015, 01:41 AM
ST, you're certainly getting your money's worth with the truck at 198,000+ miles and it's cheaper to repair than making payments these days. I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche that I love and plan to drive for another 10 years. I just had it serviced and checked last week when I had to get new tires again (4th set since new) and they said original ball joints and brakes looked great. I just passed 148,000 miles. :)