PDA

View Full Version : The greatest score

2die4
06-25-2015, 05:28 AM
I am a bargin hunter and I periodically wander on to craiglist and other online classified ads to find good deals. I stumbled across a Kelty Gunnison 2.1 tent that a person was selling for $55. No rips or holes anywhere so this tent had to be mine. Brand new this tent easily runs for $150. At 4.1 lbs total weight and the capabilities of fitting the General, the pooch, and myself comfortably; this will make a great backpacking tent and suffice as a long term bugout tent if need be. I hope to field test this great find this weekend in the mountains.

This tent is my greatest score to date. That leads me to the question, what great finds have you found online, yard sales, etc?

ElevenBravo
06-25-2015, 06:11 AM
Kelty tents are awesome!

bacpacker
06-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Yes they are. I have a w8ndfoil model that is 25+ years old. 4 season heavy ass tent. But it holds up great in snow and wind.

Illini Warrior
06-25-2015, 05:10 PM
just picked up 5 lbs of powder, 1600 shotgun primers and two bags of wads for $20 .... Kevlar military helmet $10 ... various bunches of pint canning jars $1/dozen .... 2 chrome mag based portable 12V spotlites $2 each .... antique RR kerosene lantern $3 .... Coleman gas lantern $2 ... just got a Wayne water transfer pump for $5 ....

Stormfeather
06-26-2015, 04:39 AM
Havent had time to go garage sales this year, but will try later on this summer. I usually always find a couple of good deals here and there.

Katrina
06-27-2015, 07:10 PM
It technically isn't preps but I just scored the entire 4 bowl mixing bowl set in the pattern we got when we got married plus some extra pieces. The pattern is the Corelle/Pyrex snowflake blue, VERY rare to find anything in that pattern any more and when I do it's got astronomical prices on the individual pieces. Got the set and pieces for a LOT less than the replacement sites show it to be. I have the dishes we use everyday but only one of the Pyrex glass bowls left. So for me this was A SCORE!!

2die4
07-09-2015, 02:47 AM
It technically isn't preps but I just scored the entire 4 bowl mixing bowl set in the pattern we got when we got married plus some extra pieces. The pattern is the Corelle/Pyrex snowflake blue, VERY rare to find anything in that pattern any more and when I do it's got astronomical prices on the individual pieces. Got the set and pieces for a LOT less than the replacement sites show it to be. I have the dishes we use everyday but only one of the Pyrex glass bowls left. So for me this was A SCORE!!
Hey anytime money can be saved you scored. Your situation means more money for preps.

Socalman
07-10-2015, 01:54 PM
I think my best sore was at a yard sale. A twin mantle Coleman lantern for $2.00. The problem? The mantles had both broken. Easily repaired. Though I did not NEED another lantern this was too big a bargain to pass up. Maybe I will give it to my son and his family someday, but for now I still have it.

Sniper-T
07-10-2015, 10:48 PM
I've picked up two 2 burner Coleman stoves off the local internet in the last few months, for next to nothing each, one with a stand, and the other with a 1/2 can of naptha

realist
07-11-2015, 01:35 PM
I was taking my kid to school and he was reading the want ads. He said look at this a guy is selling compound bows for $200. I had him call, the location was very rural about an hour away up in the hills so I kinda blew it off. After thinking about it a while I gave the guy a call and drove up. He had several really nice target bows. I asked him if he had any guns and he said yes. He brought out several odd ball makes and then brought out a new Remington 1100. I asked him if he had any handguns and he said only one. He brought out a Remington Rand 1911 45 acp from WWII. I asked him how much for it all which surprised him. We agreed on $600. Then he said let me get the other stuff, WTF. When all said an done I had all the equipment I would ever need to build arrows and repair any bow. I got 4 compound bows, three target and one hunting. Included was also the 1100 and the 45. I was happy and he was happy to say the least.

Kesephist
07-11-2015, 06:43 PM
I was taking my kid to school and he was reading the want ads. He said look at this a guy is selling compound bows for $200. I had him call, the location was very rural about an hour away up in the hills so I kinda blew it off. After thinking about it a while I gave the guy a call and drove up. He had several really nice target bows. I asked him if he had any guns and he said yes. He brought out several odd ball makes and then brought out a new Remington 1100. I asked him if he had any handguns and he said only one. He brought out a Remington Rand 1911 45 acp from WWII. I asked him how much for it all which surprised him. We agreed on $600. Then he said let me get the other stuff, WTF. When all said an done I had all the equipment I would ever need to build arrows and repair any bow. I got 4 compound bows, three target and one hunting. Included was also the 1100 and the 45. I was happy and he was happy to say the least.

JAYZUS MOLLY JOEY CARPENTER!

Considerably well done!

Domeguy
07-12-2015, 02:06 AM
I don't know if this qualifies, but while living in Odin, IL I purchased my first home for $16,000 in about 1989. It was about 100 yrs old and needed everything, and I was going to save up to fix it up. It needed all new window, insulation, all new electrical, all new kitchen, as there were 2 upper metal cabinets, and an old metal lower cabinet with an old sink, needed work on foundation, rotten areas in pourch roof, and this and that. 6 months latter, my sister who lived around the corner told me the state was giving away 5 grants for free house work, and low interest loans, both for those who qualify. So I filled out the application for the low interest loan, and sent it in. About a month later, a contractor showed up, said he was sent by the state to get a quote for the work, so I gave him my dream list, and he left. About another month later, he called and said he and his brother would come and measure the windows to get them sent in for, and start on replacing the electrical in the morning. I said great. After about a months work, the all new kitchen cabinets, counter, and sink were in. All new windows. All new electric wiring, plugs, switches, and breaker box. New insulation and foundation work at the back of the house, pourch fixed and painted, and a few other things. I get ready to sign the paperwork, and ask about the loan payments. They tell me it's not a loan, but I got a grant. The city had to give out all five grants, or loose all five. Only 4 grants were applied for, so mine was changed to a grant, and the 23,000 bill was erased. Now who would have thought the fine folks in Chicago would be giving out free money. It wasn't theirs, so they didn't care. So I made a profit when I sold the house. But due to ex wife, I lost it all in the next house when she put in a contract that was not fulfilled by her when we moved back to TN.

realist
07-13-2015, 02:54 AM
Kesep,
The guy had an accident and could no longer pull a bow or shoot. He was moving back east and wanted to find a good home for all his things. He was the one who came up with the price and would not take any more. I wish I have met him years earlier before his accident, I think we would have had a good time together.

robsdak
07-17-2015, 11:58 AM
recent scores for me.

a brand new Camelbak BFM )complete, all buckles/straps)in Foliage Green w/o hydration bladder. $60 saved $200

Mapedition Monsoon Slingbag in black. new condition. $40 was paid, worth $169 new, but a buddy went with me to pick it up and he bought it for me! said i have done more for him than he couls ever re-pay and it was a gift. nice to have good people around you. :) he new to prepping and eager too learn.

Katrina
07-18-2015, 06:35 AM
realist
AWESOME,AWESOME!!
Congrats!!

realist
07-19-2015, 04:22 AM
Thanks they don't come around often but when they do they are nice. I'm always looking.