PDA

View Full Version : Wind, note leaving and emergency blanket thoughts from the weekend hike

Marthony
07-06-2015, 04:02 PM
'mornin!

Sorry to not post more often, but let's take that as an indicator that I haven't had many personal crises to talk about. =)

This past weekend my wife & I plus another couple hiked Helen Lake near Lake Louise in Alberta Canada. Great hike if you can do it - the ridge just past the small lake offers spectacular views at a mere 7km distance from the trailhead.

At that point however, our friends decided to hike to the nearby 'peak' and we'd meet them when they returned. We chose not to join them as a matter of energy & irritable knee management. We withdrew to the lake below and waited. It was one of those days where if the wind stopped it was hot & the bugs would swarm you, so you hoped for the wind. Then the wind came and intensified, plus the sun was blocked out by clouds.

It is to my embarrassment that I must admit the folly of trusting the day would stay warm. Warm apartment, AC needed to drive in, hot without wind so...no windjacket & pants. Classic blunder no member here should get caught making, and I won't make the mistake again. My wife was two measures better than me with zip-on pantlegs and long-sleeve layer, but also no windgear. I'd brought earplugs as I knew wind could cause ear arches but...

Within a short time we realized this was an issue, and I unfurled an emergency blanket to help. It did, as sheltering behind a rock also did, but not enough. So we retreated to below the treeline to wait for our friends after carving notes in the dirt & mud for them. This made visual contact impossible which made me anxious...if they had a problem we couldn't know about it. (they got wind-blasted and chilled hands, but only paused at the top and thus were generating enough heat that they weren't in as much danger)

We also did not know how long their extra hike would take - turned out to be a 3.5hr add-on. It can be impossible to gauge distances in scree/rock terrain.

In summary:
- I'll be adding a lumber crayon to my pack from here in. Dry dirt doesn't take messages so well, they don't stand out, and it relies on a single trail exit. (I figure regular wax crayons may break with cold hands, thus lumber crayon for reliability) Our friends saw my mud-message.
- Can anyone provide notes on better use of an emergency blanket, while unfurling in the wind? I wrapped it around myself well enough, but there have to be better ways. I mean this both for turtling behind shelter & hiking away from the elements.

We found out the day after that the wind we received was the edge of a major storm that hit the Calgary & Red Deer areas 120km East of us; the CBC has a video clip of the Stampede grounds being cleared of people due to hail, wind & heavy rains..!

Thanks!

Fidel MD
07-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Hmm, lumber crayon....Good idea.

There are better emergency blankets than the plain sheets of mylar, but they cost more and are bulkier. HeatSheets is one brand

Marthony
07-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Bulk is something I'd like to avoid.

Because they pack so small I have an emergency blanket in my day pack/EDC (which becomes my hiking backpack for day hikes), the hip packs for light hikes, the bin in my vehicle, office kit, etc. On the con side, one tear and if you're not quick to tape it you've got two pieces.

I have a reinforced version as well that stays in the vehicle - it has some kind of nylon on the other side. I may look at that for folding it and inserting it into one flat space in my backpack as it is much more study. The grommet holes around the edge also give loads of options. About $15 at Canadian Tire. Combined with the spare shoe laces in the pack, it could be much better than the plain version.

jamesneuen
07-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I've used the really thin ones a few times. The only way I've ever had good results with the really thin ones is to cut it like you are making a poncho out of a trash bag and tape around the neck, then put a light jacket or shirt over it.

If you don't have anything to put over it though they are kind of useless.

Fidel MD
07-06-2015, 05:28 PM
You can use a small, smooth rock in the corner of the simple blankets, and tie a piece of cord around it, in lieu of a grommet.... Same with a piece of a stick.

Marthony
07-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks for those notes, both of you.

Jamesneuen, I'd think that would lead to moisture accumulation underneath the blanket, though in the situation that wouldn't be one's main concern. I'll think this through for use. I always have a lighter with at least 3' of duct tape wrapped around it, so taping the hole/tear is an option.

Illini Warrior
07-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Hmm, lumber crayon....Good idea.

There are better emergency blankets than the plain sheets of mylar, but they cost more and are bulkier. HeatSheets is one brand

livestock marker crayon is even better .... bigger - more durable - multiple rainbow colors - sticks to all surfaces

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/all-weather-paint-color-blue

Marthony
07-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Neat! I may not see these on shelves where I am, but will keep an eye out if I'm at a store that sells farm-related items.

I'd want to check that it works in all temperatures and is also -35/+35 centigrade tolerant. Certain items in my vehicle's preparedness bin are in freezer bags in case they rupture in heat, crack in cold, and leak.

ElevenBravo
07-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Shelter, waterproof, windproof... the first thing that comes to mind, is not tooo expensive, tooo heavy and tooo bulky is a USGI Goretex Bivy Bag... Even without a sleeping bag or woobie, it could be enough to keep you "warm", its a great wind break and if you get a halla rain storm, zip it all the way up and stay dry!

http://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Camouflage-Waterproof-Bivy-Cover/dp/B008JXV2PM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436217355&sr=8-1&keywords=usgi+bivy+bag

Id trust my life to one... If you thought you MIGHT get a little cold for a summer time hike, you can couple it with a patrol bag, which is part of the 4 part system..
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Modular-System-Patrol-Sleeping/dp/B0046JYNB8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436217438&sr=8-3&keywords=usgi+bivy+bag

The combined weight MIGHT be as much as a medium sleeping bag, but bear in mind... you carrying your SHELTER with you, no need for a tent!

GL,
EB

Marthony
07-07-2015, 02:52 PM
I agree it looks like a robust unit, but to be honest I wouldn't carry that for a day hike unless I was expecting trouble. And if the weather looked that way, my wife may veto the hike in favor of one somewhere else. =)

(I do have a SOL Emergency Bivvy permanently in my EDC as described here: http://survivalcache.com/sol-emergency-bivvy-review/)

This system does look like a good lightweight angle if one wasn't set on being in a tent...I'll keep this in mind! Thanks!

bacpacker
07-07-2015, 05:12 PM
The SOL bivy you linked is what the wife and I keep in our GHB. We also carry them when day hiking. Never had to use it, but would be suitable for getting out of the wind and not losing additional body heat. We also keep a warm hat of some type. That helps hold in your heat as well

Marthony
07-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Ah yes, the hat...with a string under your chin to keep it there! That was also a minor issue. I've a cowboy-style hat I was wearing on this hike as it was relatively warm & the sun was strong, vs. a baseball-style one I'd use if I didn't feel I needed more relief coverage. Need to add a tether to it.

I had a hat with a built-in alligator clip on a line; it was good for kayaking. If your hat was blown off, it was clipped to a loop on the lifejacket and you didn't have to fetch.

Regarding use of the bivy, I should really practice making an insulating pad using pine branches or other insulating available matter...the conduction would be the weak point on using the unit.

bacpacker
07-07-2015, 07:23 PM
You are right about avoiding conductive heat loss. As for the hat, we keep either a poke or wool watch cap or balaclava on us. Wind don't bother them. You can also wear them in a bivy or sleeping bag. Makes you much warmer in cold weather.

Fidel MD
07-08-2015, 12:49 AM
You know, a couple or four large garbage bags (contractors size) are not a bad thing to include...wind and water protection, stuff with leaves for a sleeping pad, cut open and use to waterproof a shelter roof, carry water, etc. Cheap and very lightweight.

bacpacker
07-08-2015, 01:23 AM
We both carry contractor bags. They can be very useful.

ElevenBravo
07-08-2015, 02:18 AM
I may have been mistaken, but thought I read a story about a young buck that went on a day hike and wasnt expecting trouble, but found a storm and was seeking shelter while being cold.

Or am I incorrect?

Which is it? You want to be prepared at all times, or just when your expecting trouble?

Playing devil's advocate here, I hope you can read into that...

I dont even go on a short hike without matches and a whistle! A few other things, still a light pack, but you get the jest.. If I were going on a "few mile hike" Id have a bonus kit "just in case".

EB

Sniper-T
07-08-2015, 02:57 AM
Agree with several, poncho tucked into pants, shirt on over top. will work equally well as a windbreak, and will not tear as easily. You can wrap the sides tight around your torso, or leave them open a bit to breathe. with another blanket you can make trousers easy enough, and a bit of tape will hold them in shape. wear over or under.

a corner can be cut off to make a 'bandana' to cover your head too.

The best part of making 'clothes' out of the blankets, is that it keeps you mobile. Your friends didn't get cold because they were active.

you can also buy a roll of flagging tape in a bright colour and tie it off right across the trail, so it cannot be missed. using a sharpie you can write a note directly on the tape

I have hiked that trail and I think I did the same climb your friends did, many years ago, in the late fall. the temperature swing from morning to noon and back to evening made dressing challenging too... but we did an overnighter so had lots of kit.

Glad you're alright!

Marthony
07-08-2015, 03:46 PM
ElevenBravo, I agree with what you're saying, I'm just being honest that I won't likely carry a sleeping bag on a day hike. My EDC becomes my day hike bag however, and does have the bivy, emerg. blanket, matches & lighter, food etc., and from here in will also have 4 garbage bags instead of 1.

Thanks everyone!

ElevenBravo
07-08-2015, 09:14 PM
NP Marthony, and glad you didnt take my reply wrong... A lot of us here play the other side of the coin to expand deeper thinking... No one here will "beat you up", but that doesnt mean were going to sugar coat it either!

To each there own, thats for sure... and the best lessons Ive learned were from bad experiences!!!

On the topic of conduction, it can never be underestimated! Anyone who sleeps (when camping, etc..) DIRECTLY on the ground needs to have there head examined! Ive never NOT used a mat, but Ive been around those that skipped that little thin pad and they were miserable! Some type of insulation, any type.. can save a life in an emergency!

EB

Stormfeather
07-09-2015, 03:37 AM
One other important item that doesnt take up a lot of space, would have been to include a baofeng radio for both groups. This would have given you a first tier communication system with the other group. Secondly, as mentioned, flagging tape with a sharpie or a good marking crayon is ideal. I carry both in a small admin pack on all of my BOBs as well as my body armor.

ElevenBravo
07-09-2015, 09:32 PM
SF, flagging tape with sharpie is a great idea, I never thought of that!

You can get some Boa radios for dirt cheap on ebay, if there not water proof they can be stored in a freezer zip lock bag. I think for $30 you can have two, and there 1000% better than radios that Walmart sell.

Main thing about the flagging tape, it needs to be communicated with the separating party for them to BOLO for it in the event of an emergency, might be good to have 2 markers so they can have a kit too...

EB

Sniper-T
07-10-2015, 10:36 PM
It is possible to sleep on the ground, and stay both dry and warm... and comfortable too; but it takes a little prep. If you know you are staying out, and need to sleep on the ground start this asap...

Scratch all the loose material off the ground in an area about 4 feet wide and 8 feet long, in an appropriate area.

Discard all but the top layer, unless fairly dry.

collect several dozen decent sized branches/tree tops, and lay in a tight grid pattern a foot or more off the ground nearby, preferably in the wind/sun.

collect leaves/moss, and lay out on the grid a foot or so thick to dry, toss as salad often to facilitate drying.

collect a good pile of evergreen branches, dead is best, live is ok, hang them in the trees to dry/drain (cut side down) in the sun wind.

Before dark, lay the biggest pine branches down first on your scratched area, and then cover with smaller ones, trim small branches off the big meaty branch to create a 'cushion' on to of the bottom ones.

cover this with the dried leaves/moss from your grid, and you are good to go. You should have enough dried leaves and moss to 'scoop over top of you as a blanket.

If you need to re-use the bed, then the next day scoop up your bedding back onto the grid to re-dry, and re-spread your pine to redry as well. (you will be surprised how damp your 'dry' stuff will be by morning.

I have done this in both late fall and mid winter here (scrape down through the snow to find bedding!)
If there is a standing dead pine (brown needles) it will suffice to make a complete bed, assuming you can take it all.

No, we're not talking Ritz Carleton, or Paris Hilton kind of snuggly, but warm and comfy! Especially compared to sitting on a root leaning against a tree with a small sputtering fire between your knees.

Sniper-T
07-10-2015, 10:54 PM
SF, flagging tape with sharpie is a great idea, I never thought of that!

EB
dude, read up a post or two... tape/sharpie thing... that's my trick! That SF b'tard stole it! ;)

rofl!

Stormfeather
07-12-2015, 11:46 PM
dude, read up a post or two... tape/sharpie thing... that's my trick! That SF b'tard stole it! ;)

rofl!

Didnt steal it... Great Minds just think alike is all! However, looking up at the post, I gave you somewhat partial credit as my post says "as mentioned already" I just didnt name my source. I apologize for poor accreditation and source quote technique!

And how did you know my parents werent married when I was born?!?!?!

ElevenBravo
07-13-2015, 12:03 AM
You can register the idea and no one can enjoy it, kinda like the Happy Birthday song... (Gawd, Amerika is gone to da shit)

Marthony
07-14-2015, 05:10 AM
(was away camping with an old friend)

Indeed, the tape & sharpie combo makes a lot of sense, and more than the orange wax crayon would for winter scenarios as only trees may be exposed from snow. Another pair of items to add to the pack...at least this is light! For winter use, are some markers better (or useless?) than others?

Sniper-T, I would like to practice the natural bed method. I have to wonder about dealing with bugs? Of course you'd make sure you weren't near an ant hill, but those guys are everywhere.

I think the multiple stuffed garbage bags are simpler for an unpracticed person and may help prevent damage to an emergency blanket, but the more skills & options the better...