PDA

View Full Version : What OTC drugs to stock for SHTF

Socalman
08-03-2015, 06:24 PM
I was doing some analysis of our preparedness and began to think about drugs (not the recreational kind!) to have on hand. I am sure most people would naturally say any medications you need to maintain your life should be be on hand.

My question is "What Over The Counter drugs" would you suggest people stock? My initial list: Does not include amounts, that will vary, do you plan to stock 2 weeks or a year's supply?

1) Aspirin

2) Naproxin, i.e. Aleve

3) An anti-histamine tablets

4) Anti-diarrhea medication such as immodium

5) An anti-bacterial ointment

6) Something for upset stomach, i.e. ginger pills or Tums

7) Possibly something for constipation. A sudden major change in diet could top you up

Let's hear your suggestions!

jamesneuen
08-03-2015, 06:35 PM
I think more important than stocking OTC meds is finding substitutes for them. Willow bark for aspirin, beeswax for antiseptic, ginger root or birch bark for upset stomach

jamesneuen
08-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Other than what you had listed, nothing springs to mind other than antibiotics, feminine supplies,

Illini Warrior
08-03-2015, 08:02 PM
go down to your local Dollar Tree store and load up .... there's 1 short aisle's worth that will do the job for you .... 1 of each to start and keep adding more of the stuff like triple antibiotic cream as you come back again ....

oif0709
08-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Burn cream and various ointment.

Fidel MD
08-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Don't bother with burn cream. Not a good thing to use.

Socalman
08-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Don't bother with burn cream. Not a good thing to use.

Other than for simple sun burn or first degree burns burn cream would not be good. Actually for sunburn, which is a first degree burn, we have been using a gel made from aloe vera. Seems to take the sting away and helps soothe the skin.

For 2nd & 3rd degree burns I would never use anything other than sterile gauze moistened with water.

Fidel MD
08-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Saline, not water. If you don't have saline, take a teaspoon of table salt and dissolve it in a quart of sterile, cool waer.

realist
08-06-2015, 12:41 PM
I was at the doctor last week and he recommended a Polysporin as apposed to Neosporin (triple antibiotic). He says people have developed sun sensitivity to the Neo vs the Poly. Just thought I would throw in my two cents.

Willie51
08-08-2015, 02:02 AM
I was at the doctor last week and he recommended a Polysporin as apposed to Neosporin (triple antibiotic). He says people have developed sun sensitivity to the Neo vs the Poly. Just thought I would throw in my two cents.

My doctor says the same about Neosporin. He just says it can make the sore worse as some people have reactions to it. I can't remember the details.

AlphaTea
08-08-2015, 08:51 PM
all good to know
also hot packs, cold packs, visene, Vaseline, Epson salts, rubbing alcohol, H2O2,, chap stick, to name a few more

Fidel MD
08-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Chemical hot and cold packs are very expensive, short lived, and have short shelf lives. An ice bag and ice, and a hot water bottle or sock filled with rice that can be heated on a stove work just as well.

Peroxide (H2O2) is a bad thing to use. Visine? If you need to wash out eyes, use water and lots of it. Rubbing alcohol has little use, it should NEVER be used on an open wound, and it is a poor disinfectant.

You can make replacements for most cosmetic products (including lip balm) out of combinations of bees wax (find a bee hive) and olive oil (which, if purchased in metal or glass containers will last forever).

And epsom salts? Seriously, what for?

Sniper-T
08-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Epsom salts have long been considered one of the 'super' products available, for a multitude of reasons.

Some basic info:
http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/epsom-uses-benefits.asp

What about cold medications? Dirixoral, Contact-C, Sudafed, Otrivan, etc.

Vitamin C (or multi vitamins)

realist
08-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Cold packs are just ammonium nitrate and water. You can make them yourself if you do not have ice. But I agree they are expensive and take up too much room for me to store.

I've never used Epsom salts, some swear by it, just never had a need.

As to alcohol, I drink it, grain that is.

Hydrogen peroxide is something people keep using. It is not good for wounds, if you are irrigating a wound use saline or good sterile water. There is piles of information on the internet but the problem in not knowing what is true and good.

Sniper-T
08-10-2015, 03:53 PM
I've always used peroxide on wounds. what's the problem with it? What does everyone use instead?

jamesneuen
08-10-2015, 04:02 PM
As long as it's shallow enough I just put drawing salve on everything. Homemade stuff rocks

realist
08-10-2015, 04:10 PM
A good topical antibiotic works very well, a Neosporin or Polysporin is what I use. When it comes to cleaning a wound I irrigate it with water for day to day dings. My hands are always getting dings. If I get a slight infection, that is when just good hot soapy water works well (time to clean the dishes) for cleaning it out then a topical on top. However most of a time just keeping it clean and putting on a band aid.

I've never heard of drawing salve.

Oh ya regarding hydrogen peroxide it will cause tissue damage that is why it has stopped being used. Some people like to use it as a disinfectant on material such as counter tops. The best thing is just good bleach, it works for just about everything, except wounds.

Sniper-T
08-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Kind of like Dettol? That stuff used to be used in first aid, but on the label it gave mix ratios for mopping floors.
lol

I may have to keep a bottle or two of HP around though. I always liked watching wounds fizz.

Fidel MD
08-10-2015, 05:23 PM
I've always used peroxide on wounds. what's the problem with it? What does everyone use instead?

Peroxide looks cool to use because of the fizzing.

The problem is that fizzing is the result of the peroxide blowing live cells apart. It literally causes the cell walls to rupture. Why would you want to do that?

Then, the dead cells are in the wound, at body temperature. You would be hard pressed to create a better incubator for bacteria than that.

For minor (i.e. you aren't thinking about going to the ED to get stitches) wounds, washing with running water (tap water is fine, if it is safe to drink) and getting all the foreign material out of the wound is best. If there is lots of dirt, then wash with soap too. In the ED I'd use saline and something like hibiclens scrub, because thats what we have, but there is no real evidence that it works any better than plain old soap and water.

There is a little evidence that keeping the wound kind of moist with something like an ointment helps speed healing. The various antiseptic ointments work that way. It doesnt matter in a typical incision what antibiotic you use. Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) would work as well. I keep a tube of the antibiotic ointment around because it's harder to contaminate than a jar of vaseline that someone stuck their booger-hook into.

This does not apply to big wounds, burns or things you need to see one of my colleagues for.

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of like Dettol? That stuff used to be used in first aid, but on the label it gave mix ratios for mopping floors.
lol

I may have to keep a bottle or two of HP around though. I always liked watching wounds fizz.

Dettol isn't a bad topical or surface disinfectant but some people are allergic to it.

Sniper-T
08-10-2015, 05:31 PM
The problem is that fizzing is the result of the peroxide blowing live cells apart. It literally causes the cell walls to rupture. Why would you want to do that?...

Peroxide looks cool to use because of the fizzing.

Um... I think you answered your own question...

;)

besides, my wife hates the smell when I use gasoline.

jamesneuen
08-11-2015, 12:51 AM
The drawing salve I make uses beeswax, lard or olive oil, tea tree oil and pine tar. Works great on kids, dogs, horses, and annoying mother in laws, though each application is different

realist
08-11-2015, 01:30 AM
Hey Doc what is your take on Silvasorb. I had to use it on a couple of wounds on my legs which had to heal from the inside out when I took a fall. Thanks for the information.

Fidel MD
08-11-2015, 01:50 AM
about the same as any other topical ointment