PDA

View Full Version : Post EMP cars/trucks

Socalman
08-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Some days I wish I still had my old '56 Chevy. I could work on that ride! Today we have so many electronics in our cars and trucks. If an EMP event were to strike, very few vehicles would run due to the fried electronics. Pehaps someone on this forum could tell us how difficult it would be to convert our vehicles to "old style" technology and be able to have some basic transportation.

Since just about all of them have fuel injection is this even possible?

ElevenBravo
08-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Thats a good question, without a simple answer... I will say Id suspect over 90% of vehicles my crank but never fire.

The WarWagon, thats another story... It will take more than an EMP to kill it. The injector pump also does the squirt timing, and its all mechanical. Look for a vehicle with a 6.2L Detroit Diesel, and buy it. 6.5L would be fine too.

EB

Willie51
08-06-2015, 11:15 AM
What about just buying a car/truck built before 1978 that is still original? Isn't '78 when EFI came along?

bacpacker
08-06-2015, 12:53 PM
There was some electrical issues before then, but it was very limited. I worked for a Datsun (Nissian) dealer in the late 70s and the Z cars and the high end sedans were EFI and electronic ignition, back to the 74 models. All the lower end stuff, including trucks were all carburated. Toyota were similar. I had a 86 Toyota put that was the last model they made without EFI. Wish I stl had it.
All that to say, it varied greatly by manufacture and model

realist
08-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Get an old jeep they run forever..............but you are always tinkering with them

Vodin
08-10-2015, 12:55 AM
Motorcycles / Mopeds / ATV any suggestions there?

realist
08-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Nope mama will not let me have one. She has enough insurance on my so I don't know why????

Mopeds I do like this one however it may not survive an EMP https://motoped.com/survival/

Motorcycles and ATVs all fall in the same category with electronics. I would check with a mechanic. Frankly this is the one I am saving my pennies for http://www.polaris.com/en-us/military/combat/mrzr-2. I think it will fit all my needs.......

ElevenBravo
08-10-2015, 05:53 PM
The MZR video was pretty cool... but data point, my Grand Cherokee with stupid 2" lift has 15" of ground clearance... Thats with stock 235 tires...

A square body Cherokee with all the doors removed would be way more bad ass me thinks... Paint it desert tan, maybe fab up some hummer style doors for the winter, would end up being cheaper...

You can drop a 4BT/straight trans or a propane conversion/straight trans and it would be "emp proof" too... Maybe carry extra rotor button and assorted accessories for ignition, but at least theres no computer... Wouldnt be much bigger either...

Not bashing the MZR, but it did stimulate my creative thinking...

EB

realist
08-11-2015, 11:59 AM
I bought a jeep for $2,500 a few years ago and put $4K into it which was much less than a side by side. The one thing I do like about the MRZR or the RZR is they have a skinny platform. I know wider is better but in this case it is as wide as a regular ATV. This allows it to go into the off road areas of the state were larger vehicles, jeeps, are not allowed.

helomech
08-11-2015, 02:53 PM
I side by side will go anywhere a jeep will, but a jeep will not get places a side by side will.

realist
08-14-2015, 04:21 AM
The big thing in our state is the powers to be have demeaned side by sides are not allowed on the roads and this also includes some of the national forest roads, which sucks. That is why I went with the jeep. If by some chance the Misses and I move to a place like Montana then I would get one in a heat beat.

capcarl
08-25-2015, 03:56 AM
Ha! I have a Daimler Ferret! EMP proof and armour - what a great combo!

helomech
08-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Ha! I have a Daimler Ferret! EMP proof and armour - what a great combo!

Pics

capcarl
08-26-2015, 03:32 AM
Opsec!

realist
09-04-2015, 05:30 PM
jealous

Fidel MD
09-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Get an old jeep they run forever..............but you are always tinkering with them

How do you know when an old jeep is out of lubricant?

When it stops dripping.

jamesneuen
09-04-2015, 09:38 PM
So, how do you know a vehicle would be disabled in the event of an EMP? Is there a way you could simulate it to see what parts you would have to stock up on? I had a few people at work argue that cars would be fine because the tires insulate them from grounding, but if I understood it right the grounding would be beneficial?

Fidel MD
09-12-2015, 10:42 PM
It can't be tested at home. It has been tested by the government and they found that some cars will work fine, some cars will work, less than fine, and some won't work at all. The more modern cars tend to be better shielded because of all the electronics, but then they also need all the electronics to work.

Socalman
09-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Electronics in the cars. UGH! My wife's 2010 Malibu has had some transmission problems. Work is done except they now have to program the transmission module. A major problem is making sure it talks to the engine module! Holy Crap!

Should we have an EMP either due to a solar flare or a nuke, what about vehicles that are parked in parking garages several level below ground level. Those garages have thousands of tons of steel and concrete. Would that protect the vehicles parked below?

Fidel MD
09-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Electronics in the cars. UGH! My wife's 2010 Malibu has had some transmission problems. Work is done except they now have to program the transmission module. A major problem is making sure it talks to the engine module! Holy Crap!

Should we have an EMP either due to a solar flare or a nuke, what about vehicles that are parked in parking garages several level below ground level. Those garages have thousands of tons of steel and concrete. Would that protect the vehicles parked below?

Maybe. The problem with EMP is that we won't know, until it happens. But in a parking garage, you might be trapped by broken-down vehicles in the way. For instance, yesterday I had some banking business to take care of..when I was done, I couldn't leave the parking lot because a tow-truck, called to start/tow someone elses ride, was blocking my truck in. I just had to wait until the tow was loaded and gone....

Socalman
09-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Those vehicles can, at least, be pushed out of the way.

Fidel MD
09-14-2016, 09:55 PM
Those vehicles can, at least, be pushed out of the way.

Maybe. If they're really piled onto each other from collisions, it might take a while. And a torch

helomech
09-15-2016, 12:03 AM
If the parking lot is full of cars, you can bet the roads will be even worse. Especially if it happens around 7am or 5 pm. Would not be much of an issue where I live, but in a city, it would be horrible.

jamesneuen
09-15-2016, 01:16 AM
What happened to that nuclear simulator that also gave EMP results?

Stormfeather
09-15-2016, 04:46 AM
DIdnt know there was one that gave EMP results as well! Got a link?

jamesneuen
09-15-2016, 08:01 PM
I dunno, that's why I asked. I found the nuke one but no EMP option

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Kesephist
02-11-2017, 03:12 PM
How difficult are the pre-chip rotor/distributor switching assemblies to find or fabricate, and then install? and would a mechanical switching work with fuel injection at all in the first place?

I mind an old salt that was beefing about the "damn high tech Navy....gettin' to be a computer command is needed to flush the head." There are some things computers should not be introduced. All this is getting me to thinking that cars is one of them.

Kesephist

Stg1swret
02-12-2017, 12:37 AM
Distributors can still be found, the real issue is the fuel injection, and whether or not the transmission is computer controlled. You may just want to find and old engine transmission combo pre-computer chips to drop in the vehicle/ That means it has a carb and at most three forward gears if an automatic.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Getting pretty thick here, you start pickin and pullin and you're in for more than you bargained for. (money pit) Personally, I would purchase a "pre-86" GM, or which ever brand you prefer. Ensure that it does NOT have fuel injection, and either an HEI or point distributor. The vehicle is already prepped for the application you're looking for, from there you restore and bring it up to mechanical readiness. Hell it don't have to be pretty, it has to run and run shit over and get there and get back. THAT'S IT!

OH, did I mention I like Chevy's?

Onestep
02-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Forget automatics and get a 4 speed manual. Solves tranny problem.

Socalman
03-10-2017, 10:08 PM
So pretty much anything pre-1986 does not have enough electronics to be disabled by an EMP?

bacpacker
03-11-2017, 01:44 AM
That sounds about right. If it doesn't have fuel injection and/or electronic ignition, it should work. Mechanical fuel delivery and spark is what your looking for.

Sniper-T
03-11-2017, 02:26 AM
I had a 89 YJ, and cannot express my displeasure with it enough. For a 'reknowned' 4x4, that thing got towed out more times than an old plymouth volare I owned, in the same shit.

I am a stout advocate for the tacoma/t100/SR5

they are bulletproof trucks, that I personally have put millions of miles on. I would love to know how to 'protect it' against emp.

Sniper-T
03-11-2017, 02:35 AM
So pretty much anything pre-1986 does not have enough electronics to be disabled by an EMP?

I cannot agree with this... my 1984 Toyota got hit by lightning, and it was finished. $2700 tow fee to get it out (way back country)

I was young and stupid, so I don't remember what the problem was, but I know I walked over 20 miles to find someone to help.

Then it cost another grand to get it running. again, don't remember what they replaced.

But, fuck... that truck had the coolest scar on the hood after Zeus zapped it! The prick!

bacpacker
03-11-2017, 03:39 PM
I second the Taco. Really pre-tacos. I had an 86 that was carburated. 87 had EFI. I've had several of them none left me with less than 2t0k, a couple over 400k.
I'm lookin at times for one to restore just for this purpose.

realist
03-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Sniper for nostalgia I have an 89 YJ I'm getting rid of just in case you ever had had second thoughts about getting rid of yours

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-21-2017, 04:03 AM

I can vouch for mostly Chevy but not ALL vehicles. Didn't mean for it to come across that way.

Sniper-T
03-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Sniper for nostalgia I have an 89 YJ I'm getting rid of just in case you ever had had second thoughts about getting rid of yours

I'll let you know when I need a new target to shoot at!

Domeguy
02-03-2018, 12:44 AM
I’ve been doing a bit of research on replacement fuels to bun my JD diesel tractor for a while if SHTF scenarios do come true. Everyone here may already know this, but it was news to me. In an emergency situation, the oil contained inside a transformer, (the large gray trash can sized objects on the tops of power poles) are full of 15-20 gallons of a type of mineral oil that has been shown work in a Diesel engine. I’m not sure how well the engine will run, or how well it will last, but it’s good to know. Any thoughts on this?

gm2
02-03-2018, 05:14 PM
I've heard that it burns fairly well, no idea if it would work as a fuel though. I would be really cautious about trying to burn it. Maybe find out as much as you can and try a burn of something similar first?

Kesephist
02-06-2018, 03:58 AM
Mineral oil based in large part, yes. PCB's were used in conjunction with mineral oil till 1979, as they were very toxic when burned. There are new oils being developed, but not really yet out there in use as of yet.

I'm not at all certain how well mineral oil would do in a diesel engine. Having a spare diesel engine to run a test is as far as I can think of.

Kesephist

Domeguy
02-07-2018, 10:28 PM
I only brought this up to bring out the knowledge that it could be used as a last case scenario in the event of SHTF. I am in no way suggesting we all go out and cut down all transformers. And if SHTF happens, tractors will be a dime a dozen here in my area. It it burns up the engine, just go find another tractor.