PDA

View Full Version : Way off topic

piranha2
08-12-2011, 08:10 PM
My laptop has been the best, trouble free computer I have ever owned. After 3 years, it is now showing its ass like my old computer at 1 year old. It is slowing down a lot, pop up blocker only catches some of the pop ups etc. I cannot afford a new one. I am running Windows Vista (yeh, yeh I know, but that ain't the problem). I use Firefox browser and Avast virus protection. This has just started lately, and I do not think it came with a reboot disc. I can't find one, so I don't think it came with one because I am anal about saving that stuff. How can I restore, reformat, make like new again or is it forever lost? I can deal with it if I must, but it sure could use some help. I have run the disc cleanup on it regularly and also used a program called C Cleaner. Gurus, any ideas? what about Ubuntu? How do I clean this one up and install it?

RedJohn
08-12-2011, 11:54 PM
It needs to be reset. Often the 'image' disk is on a hidden partition. What brand and model laptop is it?

piranha2
08-13-2011, 11:12 AM
HP Pavilion dv9913d.

ak474u
08-13-2011, 04:52 PM
yea, I'm dealing with the same thing on my desktop at the house, I was about ready to call the cable co. and scream at them because I thought they might have throttled us down, but then I pulled out my work laptop which is NEW and it rocks. I swear computers aren't made to last more than a year these days.

RedJohn
08-13-2011, 07:02 PM
HP Pavilion dv9913d.

For HP, you can go to Start, All Programs, HP Tools, and then choose HP PC System Recovery.

You can also press the F10 key multiple times during bootup to get access to the recovery console in case Windows is not loading properly.

BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU CAN BEFORE, BECAUSE IT OVERWRITES ALL THE PARTITIONS. YOU LOSE EVERYTHING ON THE DISK!!

piranha2
08-13-2011, 08:12 PM
OK, I am gonna do it. Hope to talk to you guys soon.

RedJohn
08-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Then, of course, as it restores the system to the date you got it, 3 years ago, you have a ton of Windows updated to do, including Vista SP1 and SP2 with over 300 other upgrades. just keep on checking Windows Update until it stops sating anything. Then an hour later try again. It may take a while so don't worry.

RedJohn
08-17-2011, 10:27 PM
So what happened? Are you back online?

piranha2
08-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Yes, it did help. It ain't what it was new, but it is much better. Thank you, as always.

RedJohn
08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, it did help. It ain't what it was new, but it is much better. Thank you, as always.

This was to be expected. The computer has seen a few hours and all the upgrades will slow it down.

piranha2
08-18-2011, 07:54 PM
This was to be expected. The computer has seen a few hours and all the upgrades will slow it down.

It has indeed seen some hours. Think I could just replace the hard drive, or am I getting way ahead of myself?

RedJohn
08-18-2011, 08:15 PM
It has indeed seen some hours. Think I could just replace the hard drive, or am I getting way ahead of myself?

Changing the HDD is a solution to speed the system. However, if you change the disk the ALT+F10 won't work anymore since it is a hidden partition of your old drive. To be able to do this you need to "ghost" your old HDD onto the new one. But seriously notebook are cheap now. I just bought one for a friend (an ex-fed system, almost brand new, DELL 4300 something) for $275 shipped. If you want, I'll give you the guy's email so you can get one from him.