PDA

View Full Version : Disposable Emergency Tent

remington
08-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I have seen tents like this on several websides,have anyone used them? Do they work or is it just a waste of monney.

CAMP-232 - Disposable Emergency Tent Silver Reflective Material, Tube, Tent, 7' Long , 2 Person (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP232-1.html)

The Stig
08-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I have seen tents like this on several websides,have anyone used them? Do they work or is it just a waste of monney.

CAMP-232 - Disposable Emergency Tent Silver Reflective Material, Tube, Tent, 7' Long , 2 Person (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP232-1.html)

Mitunnelrat, didn't you use something like this on one your exercises?

mitunnelrat
08-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I've got emergency blankets of the same material, but not an actual tent. After reading the reviews on this one and comparing them to my own (limited) experience with the blankets I've got some thoughts, but how you intend to use it and where you'd like to pack it will play a role in whether or not its worthwhile.

As a short term, emergency product in a small pack it would probably be worth its weight, but remember to leave enough spare room in the pack for it to fill. The mylar blanket I've played with wouldn't pack as small as it originally came. Discussion with others on the subject has shown me this is common. I wouldn't expect it to be durable enough to last more than a few uses either though.

If I remember correctly, it cost me about $15 to buy 50 feet of 550 cord and a 6' x 8' backpacking tarp that had a silver reflective side. These items are more durable and multi-purpose as separate components, and the tarp has multiple grommets which could allow for more versatile set up. If making a micro/ small kit isn't the goal I'd recommend this over the mylar tent. You can always get a mylar blanket to aid in heat reflection if wanted/ needed too.

Add a saw with the tarp, and you can make a fairly durable expedient shelter. chicom has a great example in this thread (http://www.shtfready.com/shelter/basic-expedient-shelters-20.html#post350), where you can also see my own, less shining, example.

LUNCHBOX
08-14-2011, 08:01 PM
"If I remember correctly, it cost me about $15 to buy 50 feet of 550 cord and a 6' x 8' backpacking tarp that had a silver reflective side. These items are more durable and multi-purpose as separate components, and the tarp has multiple grommets which could allow for more versatile set up. If making a micro/ small kit isn't the goal I'd recommend this over the mylar tent. You can always get a mylar blanket to aid in heat reflection if wanted/ needed too. "

I like this idea better than buying a throw away tent and the tarp has multiple uses.

apssbc
08-18-2011, 12:44 AM
I carry a tarp, ground pad, and emergency blanket in my main bag. The tarp I use for shelter, emergency blanket goes on the ground as a moisture barrier and so it reflects heat back to my body. The ground pad is for comfort and insulation from the ground. I have used this setup along with my 40 below bag to sleep comfortably in 0 degree weather with 50mph winds. My tarp went no where.

In summer I use the same setup but take out the lining to the sleeping bag, keep the bivy cover and tie a poncho liner into a small bit of insulation. This works well for me down to 40 degree weather in the rain.

In my survival kit I carry another emergency blanket, a emergency bivy shelter ( basically a emergency blanket crossed with a mummy bag) these are on my person so I can escape with some shelter. I carry in my survival kit a poncho that I can use for shelter. combine all of these and I get one hell of a shelter.

Remember to camouflage yourself cause the last thing you need is to be found killed and gear taken. So use the reflective and bright colored material only if you have to. Then cover it up with foliage and use micro terrain to hide yourself from observers.

izzyscout21
08-18-2011, 04:43 AM
picked up one of these. SO far, I'm loving it

Used British Military Basher Shelter, Desert Dpm, Military Camping, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=868470)

mitunnelrat
09-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey remington, saw you're online. Did this help out at all?

Sniper-T
09-26-2011, 05:10 PM
for either of the tents pictured... both ends are wide open.... forgive my ignorance... but what's the point? If it is raining... the first one might help keep you a little drier... but unless the rain was falling straight down (no wind) probably not.. The other one, water runnoff would have you soaked mighty quick.

they would be impossible to keep any heat in, and if it is warm out, and dry out... then why do you need them?

for a few bucks more... and less than 3 pounds... why not something like this:

Solo 1 Person Lightweight Tent (http://www.myholidaypartner.com/camping_equipment/backpacking_tents/1-person-lightweight-tent-solo.php)

bobthe
09-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I carry a tarp, ground pad, and emergency blanket in my main bag. The tarp I use for shelter, emergency blanket goes on the ground as a moisture barrier and so it reflects heat back to my body. The ground pad is for comfort and insulation from the ground. I have used this setup along with my 40 below bag to sleep comfortably in 0 degree weather with 50mph winds. My tarp went no where.

emergency blankets ONLY reduce heat loss via radiation or conduction in the case of wind. not direct physical contact with a massive object. in other words - if your emergency blanket is on the ground, it's protecting you from heat loss just about as well as any old piece of plastic would. heat loss from conduction happens tons of times faster than via radiation at body temp or bellow, so there really is no benefit to using the 'blanket' this way. although i suppose there isnt a lot of durable, ultra thin plastic on the market, so there really isnt any reason NOT to use the blanket in this way either.

TroubleShooter
09-26-2011, 11:03 PM
emergency blankets ONLY reduce heat loss via radiation or conduction in the case of wind. not direct physical contact with a massive object. in other words - if your emergency blanket is on the ground, it's protecting you from heat loss just about as well as any old piece of plastic would. heat loss from conduction happens tons of times faster than via radiation at body temp or bellow, so there really is no benefit to using the 'blanket' this way. although i suppose there isnt a lot of durable, ultra thin plastic on the market, so there really isnt any reason NOT to use the blanket in this way either.

I don't know bobthe, but I think you might be wrong....The emergency blanket I have has small air spaces, I haven't conducted any tests but I believe most insulating factors rely on airspace/pockets to enhance..........Example, my welding gloves protect well from radiant and wind, they also protect me from the conducting of heat while I hold hot metal, whereas my brown jersey gloves will transfer the heat ASAP , insulation will slow the conducting process down both direction.......

bobthe
09-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I don't know bobthe, but I think you might be wrong....The emergency blanket I have has small air spaces, I haven't conducted any tests but I believe most insulating factors rely on airspace/pockets to enhance..........Example, my welding gloves protect well from radiant and wind, they also protect me from the conducting of heat while I hold hot metal, whereas my brown jersey gloves will transfer the heat ASAP , insulation will slow the conducting process down both direction.......

huh. ive never seen emergency blankets that had actual insulation built in. the only thing ive ever seen sold as an emergency blanket is nothing more than an aluminized mylar sheet thats been folded up for easy storage.

if your blanket is more like aluminized bubblewrap then yes. it will still provide insulation when on the ground. if its nothing more than aluminized plastic film, then it wont provide any insulation worthy of note when placed in direct contact with the ground.

TroubleShooter
09-27-2011, 05:03 PM
huh. ive never seen emergency blankets that had actual insulation built in. the only thing ive ever seen sold as an emergency blanket is nothing more than an aluminized mylar sheet thats been folded up for easy storage.

if your blanket is more like aluminized bubblewrap then yes. it will still provide insulation when on the ground. if its nothing more than aluminized plastic film, then it wont provide any insulation worthy of note when placed in direct contact with the ground.

Space All-Weather Blanket at REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/407106/space-all-weather-blanket)

This reinforced fabric blanket reflects 80% of radiated body heat back to you. Use for warmth under a tent, bivy sack or for emergencies. Compact size makes it ideal in a day pack for emergencies, or as part of an emergency kit in your car or home. Made of layered polyethylene film, aluminum and Astrolar reinforcing fabric.
Made in USA.