PDA

View Full Version : Flu

jamesneuen
10-08-2015, 01:20 PM
So as the wife and I are both laid up today with liquids coming out of both ends, I figured it would be a good time to ask how you guys plan to treat things like this. Especially considering both our kids have it too.

I know that electrolyte packets, ibuprofen, and bismuth takes are all available now to store and have good shelf lives. Anybody got other ideas?

I pulled out our OTC bins last night and today when she started complaining that I needed to go to the store for the stuff. I showed her that I already had everything to treat it, even if it wasn't what she was used to using.

I think she understands that aspect a bit more now after how bad our night was with the kids. I just keep hoping she understands I may be a pack rat but it has a purpose some days.

Any natural or easy to replicate things after the normal supplies run it would be welcome too.

realist
10-08-2015, 02:19 PM
1 bottle of whiskey and two aspirin. Save the aspirin for the morning you might need it.

That said for over the counter we use a lot of Pepto Bismol it settles the stomach and diarrhea. Once we get that under control we use a lot of Day-quill and Ni-quill.

Hope you feel better

jamesneuen
10-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Dayquil and Nyquil for the flu? Never thought of that.

Caveman Survival
10-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Plantain seeds. Not the fruit, the weed. Pick the spikes and dry them. Remove the seeds and grind them. Excellent for the bottom end of your problem. The psyllium is a great binding agent, if you know what I mean. The rest of the plant has beautiful medicinal properties as well.

jamesneuen
10-08-2015, 04:18 PM
I knew if you boil the leaves into a salve it's called knit quick. We used to use it when I was little.

Caveman Survival
10-08-2015, 05:28 PM
The leaves and juice can be used as a topical in poultices and lotions for treating sunburns, stings, insect bites, snakebites, poison ivy breakouts, rashes, burns, blisters, and cuts.

The leaves can also be heated and applied to swollen joints, sore muscles, sprains, and sore feet.

Traditionally It has also been used for treating sore throats, coughs, bronchitis, tuberculosis, and mouth sores.

Studies have shown that plantain has anti-inflammatory effects, and it is also rich in tannin (which helps draw tissues together to stop bleeding) and allantoin (a compound that promotes healing of injured skin cells).

Plantain may also reduce blood pressure, and that the seeds of the plant may reduce blood cholesterol levels. Plantain seeds were also widely used as a natural laxative, given their high source of fibre. Teas made from the plant can also be used to treat diarrhea, dysentery, intestinal worms, and bleeding mucous membranes.

The roots can be used for relieving toothaches and headaches as well as healing poor gums.

Plantain tea can also be used as a hair rinse for preventing dandruff.

The rather strong fibres within the leaves can also be used for making thread, fishing line and even cloth.

It is the wonder plant!

I can do a little digging around the forum, but do we have a section dedicated to wildcrafting of plants for medicines? It might be a good section to have.

ak474u
10-08-2015, 08:51 PM
My mom had lots of Ostomy patients that were old, and didn't have a lot of money, and needed electrolyte replacement but couldn't afford sports drinks, and pedialyte etc. she always told them to make their own... The store brand limeade concentrate, baking soda, and salt. I'm sure the recipe is out there somewhere, I can't remember what she told me, but it was basically homemade Gatorade.

jamesneuen
10-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Baking soda?

ak474u
10-09-2015, 12:20 AM
Baking soda?

Sodium bicarbonate. That was my response when she told me that too.

jamesneuen
10-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Weird. I'll have to look it up and see if I can make my own

ak474u
10-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Here's a recipe. I think the reason my mom used the concentrate juice and not cool aid, is the fructose levels would be higher in juice than Kool aid.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Damn-Sports-Drink/step4/Final-recipe/

Caveman Survival
10-09-2015, 01:32 AM
Weird. I'll have to look it up and see if I can make my own

Unless yer a chemist it's not even worth it. Arm and hammer is dirt cheap in stores.... So stock up now and you'll have a lifetime supply...

Caveman Survival
10-09-2015, 01:33 AM
Oops... You meant the sports drink lol. I meant baking soda (yes I researched how to naturally obtain it)

ElevenBravo
10-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Sodium bicarbonate. That was my response when she told me that too.

A bit of a deviation, but yeah... I use about a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a 16 oz glass of water for bad heartburn (if I eat something that doesnt agree with me, not too frequent).

Its Alka Seltzer, without the asprine and fizzy stuff. For me (YMMV) Alka Seltzer (or better, just baking soda) works best! Take a look at the contents of Alka Seltzer, sodium bicarb is the part that does the heartburn relief..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alka-Seltzer

Back on topic, Gatorade is good for an electrolyte replacement... (but dont recall any sodium bicarb in the contents) but it is a bit expensive. A good while back, I compared the labels of a tub of Gatorade and a tub of Tang (you know, the astronaut drink for you older folks!), theres not a significant difference between the two but check and decide for yourself. Tang cost a lot less.

EB

Katrina
10-12-2015, 05:40 AM
One remedy mom gave us kids for upset tummies is flat/warm Vernor's ginger ale. We'd have to sip it a little at a time but it seemed to work in settling the stomach. don't know if any other brand of ginger ale would work but being from Detroit we always had Vernor's on hand.

jamesneuen
10-12-2015, 05:34 PM
In school they used to give is Coke syrup. No idea why and nobody uses it anymore.

Sniper-T
10-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Plantain seeds. Not the fruit, the weed. Pick the spikes and dry them. Remove the seeds and grind them. Excellent for the bottom end of your problem. The psyllium is a great binding agent, if you know what I mean. The rest of the plant has beautiful medicinal properties as well.

I've been trying to kill that shit off in my yard for years. lol!

Socalman
12-17-2015, 04:42 PM
When I have the heartburn, like some others, I use a little, about 1/2 tsp. baking soda in a about 8 oz. of water. DISCLAIMER for the lawyers: I am not a physician, but I have been told that if you use too much sodium bicarb (baking soda) it can have bad effects on the heart.

Vernor's ale, ginger ale are excellent for settling the stomach. We keep a 6 pack of Canada Dry ginger ale around for those emergencies. You can also find ginger capsules at most health food stores.

realist
12-18-2015, 12:43 PM
We used to use flat 7UP growing up. Now there is so much out there the kids still will go for the 7UP over other things. We are creatures of habit.