PDA

View Full Version : New old Optimus stove

Domeguy
10-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Over the summer I purchased over eBay a used "vintage" Optimus 8R hunter cook stove. At that time, the really good looking ones were going for $80-100 plus. I picked up mine for $27. It needed some good cleaning, and it works like a champ, with no leaks. It didn't come with the multi tool, so do I need one, and what is it for? I've heard you have to keep the needle valve clean, and if so, with the multi tool? Anyone else use one of these stoves? I can't wait to get out there with it this fall.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/gantsum/edd1f6d9f08b876113c8752d18c8495f_zps61tvnqhn.jpg[/IMG]

Kesephist
10-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Over the summer I purchased over eBay a used "vintage" Optimus 8R hunter cook stove. At that time, the really good looking ones were going for $80-100 plus. I picked up mine for $27. It needed some good cleaning, and it works like a champ, with no leaks. It didn't come with the multi tool, so do I need one, and what is it for? I've heard you have to keep the needle valve clean, and if so, with the multi tool? Anyone else use one of these stoves? I can't wait to get out there with it this fall.

Uncertain if this will be of a help. this link http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/technical-support/download-center/ and use Optimus 8R for search...

My guess is that this missing multi-tool you are mentioning will also be orderable on this site.

I could sure be happy knowing if there is a stove working on wood alcohol. or do I have to gel it to make it work like sterno?

Kesephist

ElevenBravo
10-15-2015, 12:02 AM
Ive been eyeing one of those for years, cant part with the extra cash to get one right now.

EB

Domeguy
10-15-2015, 03:26 AM
I just kept a watch on eBay. I bid on probably over 20 before I got this one for $27 plus shipping. Just missing the multi-tool and some minor rust on the inside bottom of the box. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but I plan to take it apart, pollish up the brass and repaint the box. It puts out quite a bit of heat for such a small stove. I see why it was copied so previently in Eupope.