PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles: How Many Can You Drive?

The Stig
08-14-2011, 12:15 AM
How many different types of vehicles can you drive?

For example, I don't know how to drive a standard-shift car. I can probably figure it out having tried a few times, but if in a SHTF situation someone said "take my car" I'd be screwed.

Driving my riding mower today made me realize I've never driven a tractor or large farm equipment like that.

I've also never driven a motorcycle.

18 Wheeler ? Forget it.

I can drive the hell out of my Rav4 though!

Point is, some folks seem to have a diverse array of experiences when it comes to driving stuff. Others of us don't. Could I figure them out if forced? Sure, but it would be unnatural and much time would be wasted. Can you imagine if someone was depending on you to drive them to the hospital and you're sitting there trying to figure out how the clutch works?

Where do you fall in the spectrum?

The Stig
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
.....and we all know Izzy is going to storm in here and tell us about driving Strykers so we can all be jealous.

:D

piranha2
08-14-2011, 12:35 AM
I am already jealous, having never driven a stryker. I have a motorcycle and have driven semis, farm tractors, bulldozers, large front loaders and about anything else you can think of. That being said, the farm and heavy equipment today do not operate like they did back when. They are all computerized computers. They have buttons, not levers. Takes some adjustment.

bacpacker
08-14-2011, 01:39 AM
I drove my first tractor by myself when I was 7. I had been riding/driving them with my step dad since I was 3. Started riding motocross/enduro bikes by 11. Street and drag bikes by 15. I drove our trucks around in the field when we were hauling hay, and learned how to back tailers between the trucks and tractors with equipment. I also got lucky in some regard when I was 12, the DOT started putting a 4 lane in by my grandpa's property, when we would get to the construction my step dad would stop and let me drive the 2-3 miles on to my grandparents house and back. I got to do that for 2 years till the construction was done. I scored 1st in my drivers ed class competition in high school.
After I got older and started working I drove a tractor trailer for about a year. I have also operated some heavy equipment, dozed, front end loader, backhoe, grader, & bobcat.
Sorry Izzy, no striker operating here!

LUNCHBOX
08-14-2011, 03:30 AM
I've drove a lot, stick shift, 18 wheel (parking lot to load) motorcycles. I should be ok here.

mitunnelrat
08-14-2011, 04:03 AM
I have three of those listed in my driveway right now. Motorcycle, standard, and auto. I've got time in on tractor's, have operated both the A2 and A3 variants of the M113 APC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M113_armored_personnel_carrier), which is a tracked vehicle. The A2 was stopped and steered by lever.

I got to drive a HEMTT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Expanded_Mobility_Tactical_Truck) along two tracks in MO, that was fun.

Less fun was towing a trailer down to Joplin. I'd never towed like that before, and Indianapolis was a joy with the loose steering in the van we were using. I kept hitting the rumble strips and waking my passengers up! lol Funny thing is I can back them up mostly ok (I'm out of practice) from doing so during yard work on open acreage in my teen years.

I missed my best chance to drive an 18 wheeler, but my other experiences lead me to believe I could do it, if needed.

izzyscout21
08-14-2011, 01:45 PM
.....and we all know Izzy is going to storm in here and tell us about driving Strykers so we can all be jealous.

:D

Well other than the aforementioned vehicle which shall stay nameles in the post, I'd be ok on the M1113,and M2 and M3 series Bradley Fighting Vehicles.
I do have the ability to drive a stick and most of my childhood and teenage years was spent working on the farm driving tractors.

I DO NOT have the ability to drive anything with two wheels. Last time I tried was a total FAIL moment. Was not a pretty picture.

Daca102090
08-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Stick, auto transmission, dirt bike, road bike, snowmobile, snow cat, skid steer 6x6 atv (almost as old as I am), 5 speed stick with 2 speed rear end, 35ft motor home, wheat combine ( just transporting) various small power boats (just fishing, fresh and salt) Unfortunately I would be worse than dangerous with anything airborne but would would like to find the time to learn at least fixed wing.

cwconnertx
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Pretty much anything with wheels, and quite a few things with tracks. I have owned motorcycles for years but am currently without. I can drive automatic or stick (with or without a synchronized transmission).

I have a bit of simulator time in jet aircraft, and a little seat time in single engine piston aircraft and just about 2 hours in rotorcraft (which I am quite sure I can fly once, and based on my landing ability it might be only once, you'll be able to walk away... once)

I would add based on a previous post that all my heavy equipment and farm equipment experience was with pre1990 equipment, so I might not do so well with the buttons.

RedJohn
08-29-2011, 07:32 AM
I can fly most General Aviation airplanes. not sure that I could still fly a helicopter without having to take a couple hours with an instructor.

Grumpy Old Man
08-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Standard and automatic transmission (my 2 trucks) murdercycles, Watertrucks, Concrete mixer trucks, Semis (but I'm not had much time in the cab) front end loaders, skid steers (Bobcat), scrapers, backhoes, tractors and snowmobiles. No airplanes, helicopters or unnamed military vehicles Izzy,lol. I also ride horses and have some experience with them harnessed to a cart. Never did any plowing or other farm work with them, mainly because that sounds too much like work!

The Stig
08-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Ok, I am wicked jealous of all of you who got to drive cool shit growing up.

I curse my suburban upbringing compounded by paranoid parental unit! Curse it I say.

izzyscout21
08-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Standard and automatic transmission (my 2 trucks) murdercycles, Watertrucks, Concrete mixer trucks, Semis (but I'm not had much time in the cab) front end loaders, skid steers (Bobcat), scrapers, backhoes, tractors and snowmobiles. No airplanes, helicopters or unnamed military vehicles Izzy,lol. I also ride horses and have some experience with them harnessed to a cart. Never did any plowing or other farm work with them, mainly because that sounds too much like work!

It's not unnamed, I just left the Stryker out because someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. I think someone had Stryker envy.

The Stig
09-01-2011, 11:41 AM
It's not unnamed, I just left the Stryker out because someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. I think someone had Stryker envy.

Ya, that guy was a jerk.

Stormfeather
10-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Stryker envy. . . LOL!

Im pretty good to go on automatic and standard shift transmissions, 20+ yrs riding Harley, military vehicles across the board from Strykers to HEMTTs, the one place im lacking is fixed wing and rotary. . IM willing to bet I could get a plane off the ground. . . but im pretty sure the landing aspect of it would be pretty darn ugly. (read. . . fatal!)

Gunfixr
10-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Never been in the military, so all of those vehicles are out. Never driven anything on two wheels either. Have driven ATVs. When I was a teenager I could do scary things with a golf cart, LOL.
Can drive standard and automatic transmissions, spent a couple years driving 18 wheelers OTR, and driving centipede dump trucks and dump trailers.

izzyscout21
10-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Never been in the military, so all of those vehicles are out. Never driven anything on two wheels either. Have driven ATVs. When I was a teenager I could do scary things with a golf cart, LOL.
Can drive standard and automatic transmissions, spent a couple years driving 18 wheelers OTR, and driving centipede dump trucks and dump trailers.

Fortunately for you, Gunfixr, should I be able to aquire a Stryker, I plan to open up a SHTFReady Stryker Driving Academy!! Or as I like to call it, the SSDA.

Seriously though, other than being a 18 ton rolling blind spot, they are stupid-easy to drive. Automatic transmission. Here's the shifter, steering wheel, gas pedal, and brake. Go forth and drive.

Gunfixr
10-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Maybe I can acquire one.
Then, maybe we can work something out. :)

RichFromPhilly
10-10-2011, 09:01 PM
most (manual & auto) cars & trucks. motorcycle. Electric Golf Cart. Scissor Lift (lol). Small & Medium sized fishing boat. Jet Ski. I'm sure with my little experience with smaller things like gocarts I would figure them out fast.

Also keep in mind that size really does matter. I drive a cargo van and have driven large moving trucks (20'+). Almost flipped a few large moving trucks because I was not used to the size. I'm sure that applies with things like RV's.

The Stig
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I drive a cargo van and have driven large moving trucks (20'+). Almost flipped a few large moving trucks because I was not used to the size. I'm sure that applies with things like RV's.

I knew your name sounded familiar.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g101/sw1tchnut/moving%20truck%20wreck/storm_truck1_copy_embedded_prod_aff.jpg

(Welcome to the forum BTW)

realist
10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
That's cold.............but I like it. I've driven sticks, automatics, large and small tractors. I highly suggest a bulldozer, they are pure power and fun to play with. I do not touch things that want to fly as I do not want to crash.....

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 06:48 AM
if it has wheels I'm covered, too many tracked vehicles to list, and while I KNOW how to fly a fixed wing, I've never done it so that would be a last resort situation. I WAS all set to start my classes to learn to fly, and developed insulin dependent diabetes...

WvBoy
10-17-2011, 12:29 AM
I've driven just about everything I could get started. Grew up on a farm running tractors and trucks, many years driving green camo vehicles of all types that were later painted tan (wheeled and tracked), about a year working for a car dealer and the last several years working for a truck dealership.

Wreckers were always my favorite to drive but cranes and digging equipment always left me wanting more time on them.

I've had boats and motorcycles most of my life with a few atv's along the way, and I try to keep an old 4x4 around just to have.

hank2222
10-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Stryker envy. . . LOL!

Im pretty good to go on automatic and standard shift transmissions, 20+ yrs riding Harley, military vehicles across the board from Strykers to HEMTTs, the one place im lacking is fixed wing and rotary. . IM willing to bet I could get a plane off the ground. . . but im pretty sure the landing aspect of it would be pretty darn ugly. (read. . . fatal!)

Like you i have drive pretty much anything in the military has a wheel or a track at one time as a MP but the flying thing is the only thing i would not trust me in the front seat thing .I can get off the ground without a problem but landing is going to a crash landing and i do not know if we are going to walk away from it .

I grew up on a farm and learned how to drive or mess with anything on it at one time or another .

Taz Baby
01-11-2012, 03:59 AM
what goes up must come down, so I am not going there. I have drive farm equipment, boats, 18 Wheelers, atv, motorcycles, no military stuff, jet ski,s, golf carts, go carts, fork lfts, heavy machery like backhoe and draglines. But they were all non computered. Just the old ones. Would love to drive a skidder. Dozers are fun to drive. I drive standard and stick. If it goes vroom vroom I,ll drive it.

Gunfixr
01-11-2012, 04:23 AM
I forgot to mention earlier that I have played a little with a front loader and an excavator. I can move dirt, but it's clear an amateur did it.
Nothing on two wheels that has an engine.
About the only things I can fly are a kite and a one-finger salute. I'm not even much for riding in an aircraft, based on what I've experienced so far.

MegaCPC
01-11-2012, 05:25 AM
I can work 3 pedals with two feet and I can operate ATVs and motorcycles. I've tried my luck operating a backhoe but I'm not comfortable with it. I've driven boats but nothing over 50' long. Never flown anything.

I like to take my truck wheelin so I'm confident driving in adverse conditions.

helomech
01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I have driven most types of vehicles, from go karts, bulldozer, 18 wheelers and everything in between. Flown helicopters and airplanes. I don't think there is much out there that I can not pick up on very fast. First time running a trackhoe it took me a little bit, but was used to it within a hour. Can also fly remote control airplanes and helicopters. Now my wife on the other hand, she can drive a car.

izzyscout21
01-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Stryker envy. . . LOL!

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/ATT00038.jpg

Optimist
01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Ouch! They still make you pay for what you bust in the Army?

Driving? Most things with wheels, many things with tracks, a couple of things with air cushion.

Sailing? It's gotta have a motor on it.

Piloting? I can get it up, but getting it down again might be, ah, interesting....

mitunnelrat
01-15-2012, 08:42 PM
posted a pic of a tank rollover

Where's Hercules when you need it? lol

izzyscout21
01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
I can get it up, but getting it down again might be, ah, interesting....

I'll pass that one along to my wife................

piranha2
01-16-2012, 11:40 PM
That might turn out to be his sig line.

madpiper
04-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Just remember when it comes to military vehicles - turn the master switch on, pull the fuel lever up, and hit the start button! That works in 98% of them, although sometimes there isn't a fuel lever! I've driven AAV's, an M-1A1, humvees, duece and a halfs, 5 tons, LVT's, and even an LAV once. The funny thing is the LAV was the most car like.

Twitchy
04-11-2012, 01:56 AM
I can drive Automagics and Manual transmission cars / pickups... Tried my hand at a forklift once too, wasnt alone but i got the gist of it...

ladyhk13
04-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Can drive auto, standard, 4 wheelers, snow mobiles (when I was young), riding lawn mower, motorcycles, an 18 wheeler once, small boats (air boats too), go carts, Kabota tractor with bush hog(yup, finally got to drive it), and I can even drive horses! Some things I haven't driven in a long time but I guess it's like riding a bike (oh yeah, does that count?) once ya get on it again it all comes back.

Taz Baby
04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Can drive auto, standard, 4 wheelers, snow mobiles (when I was young), riding lawn mower, motorcycles, an 18 wheeler once, small boats (air boats too), go carts, Kabota tractor with bush hog(yup, finally got to drive it), and I can even drive horses! Some things I haven't driven in a long time but I guess it's like riding a bike (oh yeah, does that count?) once ya get on it again it all comes back.

And when the bulldozer get's there you will be driving that too

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 11:09 PM
i spent 5 years in a steel mill driving cranes trains bobcats petti bones nothing like blowing the whistle in a train to make you smile like a little kid. i drive forklifts everyday. i can drive anything with wheels even some things with out i had some time in a bull dozer and a trac crane. only thing i have never driven was a motor cycle but man i can do whatever if need be .

FL-Jeeper
10-07-2012, 10:54 PM
I've operated big cars, little cars, both fast & slow. Big trucks & little trucks, both automatic & standard on all counts. HMMWV's in various configurations, Deuce n Half's, Five Tons trailered & without, Bradley Fighting Vehicles, both driver & gunner. I can drive the hell outa pretty much anything on road and off, if so equipped. I crewed a 65' Sloop for a year and have handled various smaller watercraft, both motorized & not. I've got an old motorcycle sitting in the garage awaiting a wiring harness & some custom modifications... but I have no real experience riding anything with two wheels that goes faster than my bicycle...

Echo2
10-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Most anything you find on the highway.

Just about all types of construction equipment.

4suchatimeasthis
10-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Hhmm...it's been a while, but I used to drive a fork lift, helped pay for my college, second shift at a veneer mill...otherwise...uh, snowmobile, atv, dirt bike (but never a motorcycle), lawn tractor, little ford tractor, peddle bike, go cart, horse & buggy, automatic and standard transmission cars and trucks.

Never "driven" any kind of boat, other than like a paddle boat, which I don't include, lol. I really ought to learn. Hubby has an 18' Boston Whaler, sitting in a farmers field. He says someday he will teach me. Poor man, lol.

Onestep
10-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Cars and trucks (auto and stick) boats (steering and tiller-motorized, paddle canoes), atv, jet ski, dirt bikes, peddle bike, small tractors, bobcat, back hoe, zero turn mower and horses (been a LONG time for them though).

slowz1k
10-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Manual and auto trans missions, most small watercraft, Spent most of my life on motorcycles. No experience with anything larger than a 30' RV or a moving box truck.
The one thing I really want to learn is sailing.

Sniper-T
10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
^
I love sailing!!!

There is a pretty cool place down in Key Largo, where you can rent a beach house for the night, and have access to 21' sailboats during the day, including lessons. I took the wife there a number of years ago, and she learnt enough to be comfortable in control of the boat in just one day. by the end of the week (of just us sailing), she was doing amazing.

robsdak
10-13-2012, 08:57 PM
farm equipment, most heavy equipment (less a crane) cars, trucks, motorcycles, 4wheelers (no 3wheelers hard lesson) boats of all sizes, well up to 55' and most things with tracks. grew up on farms and in the construction trade, a person can only wait so long to have an operator come move something, so i went and got certifications to operate several different ones. including stick welding, hard to find a welder that wants to go up 90' in the air with a "crazy person".