PDA

View Full Version : Military Enviromental Hazards

2die4
10-22-2015, 04:53 PM
I know there are a lot of war vets in here. I was made aware of a VA letter dated 2010. It describing the various enviro hazards that the sand box may have given us. Also touched on Marines that were stationed in Lejeune in 1957 through 1987 and the Navy Air Facility in Atsugi, Japan between the periods of 1985 and 2001. This maybe helpful to those still fighting VA disability claims or to those needing to start one.

PM me if you want me to send it to you.

ElevenBravo
10-22-2015, 11:13 PM
I have no proof, but my ulcerative colitis didnt start until I was at Irwin drinking water out of a buffalo... Before that I was normal. I suspect it wasnt sanitized to standards and I got bad water that flipped a switch in my colon that wont cut off. For life.

EB

helomech
10-24-2015, 01:06 PM
I will never forget when I get sent to clean up and load on a truck a burned Apache helicopter. When we got back our sgt told us we had to shower immediately. The burned magnesium and other burned metals we where exposed to are very harmful. They did not give us any protective gear.

jamesneuen
10-24-2015, 11:30 PM
I get pulled off of running ranges for at least 3 months a year so my body can get my lead levels down.

helomech
10-25-2015, 01:18 AM
Another screwed up thing we used to do is test the ALQ-144's infrared jammers by putting our hands next to them to feel for heat. Well after about 3 years of doing this I get to a new base and they freak out. The infrared radiation is very high according to them and there is a special tool for testing them. I got my ass screamed at for that.

izzyscout21
10-27-2015, 04:42 AM
I lived right next to the chemical munitions dump on Camp Taji. Nobody knew it was there until much later, after many things had leached into the soil. I'm convinced this is why my kids had and continue to have so many health problems.

bacpacker
10-27-2015, 11:14 AM
No first hand experience but from the guys I've met that served in Nam with my dad, to a man they all have major health issues and many have already passed away from lung issues or cancer. They were soaked in agent orange and all the other defoliants while in country. A large percentage of their kids have serious health issues as well. Retardation, immune system, and cancer being high on the list.
Seems like military are used as test cases in lots of situations.

realist
10-28-2015, 03:04 PM
James lead will stay in your body and cause memory loss so you need to maybe pursue a private testing to ensure you are "safe".

Helo have you ever been tested for heavy metals in your system? If not I highly recommend it.

If you look up most chemicals you will find they have a MSD (used to be MSDS) which will tell you of the hazards of the material. So all these experts can tell you what will happen. If you ever talk to one of these experts you might ask them what happens when you mix a bunch together, they really get confused them. I used to work drug labs in the '80s and at that time we did not use any safety gear, jeans and tennis shoes...... What we were exposed to will never be known, hopefully it will not shorten our lives by too much. To all of you Vets my hat is off to you for your service. It is too bad the government does not see fit to properly do the followup necessary for try to help you for your future ills. I get the feeling it's "out of sight, out of mind" and really until someone becomes a thorn in their side nothing gets changed.

jamesneuen
10-28-2015, 03:16 PM
I felt their threshold for pulling me out to dry was pretty low. It's only 11 micro grams but its all documented. My memory is crap already but that's a genetic thing supposedly.

helomech
10-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Never been tested for anything like that.

realist
10-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Heavy metals stay in the system a long time. It never hurts to be tested. I have never had an issue so long as I taught outside. There was a six month period I was suspended from teaching when we had a lead indoor range. Now we have a frangible range which is lead free so I have never had another issue even though I teach on an outdoor lead use range.

Sniper-T
10-30-2015, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure if this fits... but I dove in heavy water in a Canadian nuclear reactor once... I was in a full SUS (suit under suit) system, but when I came out and stripped and tested, I was heavily positive for over 20 tests/decons. When I was finally let go, I was encouraged not to have unprotected sex for at least 3 months,

jamesneuen
10-30-2015, 02:12 AM
Some swimmers get two tails? Lol