PDA

View Full Version : I was in trouble again, for no reason, really.

realist
11-18-2015, 12:44 AM
Well here is what happened. Years ago my mom gave me a pomegranate tree which I planted. The tree produced a few each year and on some years we did not even pick them. Sooooo a couple of years ago I got a wild hair up my .......and bought some more, only three. Last year we had enough to make jelly. This year well I picked 100 off that old tree and 50 off the new ones. It took us an entire day to just get the seeds out of about 100 of them. Mama is wondering when they new trees mature then we will have about 400 a year which means we just might have a few too many..... I was just trying to have enough to make some great jelly..........it worked.

bacpacker
11-18-2015, 12:56 AM
AWESOME. I've been thinking about planting a few here. Not sure how they'd do in our climate.

ak474u
11-18-2015, 01:33 AM
AWESOME. I've been thinking about planting a few here. Not sure how they'd do in our climate.

Mine kept dying back to the ground and never produced, so I dug them up and gave them to a neighbor who has a sun porch and will be able to bring them in. The kydex lab and my tools almost keep me from getting both cars in the garage as it is, so no plants get to come in during the winter.

realist
11-18-2015, 01:51 AM
AK does it snow there? We get down in the 20s and there is no problem.

Bacpaker we are kinda anal about how we separate the seeds from the rest of the pomegranate. We do it by hand and try to limit the amount of white stuff in with the seeds. When we press the seeds this year I am going to take them and stuff a large chicken or small turkey with the left overs, it should be great. I understand some people just get a press and get the juice that way. I figure I have one more year before I will be forced to go that route. Last year we made a mistake and some of the jelly did not take so we ended up with some great syrup. We I just cooked some pork chops with it on top and they were great.

Sniper-T
11-18-2015, 02:31 AM
Sounds awesome! I really doubt if they would grow here though...

:(

ak474u
11-20-2015, 01:33 AM
AK does it snow there? We get down in the 20s and there is no problem.

Bacpaker we are kinda anal about how we separate the seeds from the rest of the pomegranate. We do it by hand and try to limit the amount of white stuff in with the seeds. When we press the seeds this year I am going to take them and stuff a large chicken or small turkey with the left overs, it should be great. I understand some people just get a press and get the juice that way. I figure I have one more year before I will be forced to go that route. Last year we made a mistake and some of the jelly did not take so we ended up with some great syrup. We I just cooked some pork chops with it on top and they were great.

Yeah, we get more ice than snow. Got down to 5* one night last winter, but these were supposed to be cold hardy down to -15* IIRC

Sniper-T
11-20-2015, 12:31 PM
so close. I think they could almost live here. How big do the trees get? How big before they produce?

Could I just buy a fruit and save some seeds from it?

realist
11-21-2015, 11:50 AM
My biggest tree is about seven feet tall. It is about 12 years old so I do not think it will get any bigger. The others are about five foot. You might be able to plant seeds but I think it would be better just to plant starters. I have a lemon tree which does not do well in cold. This week I am building a mini greenhouse over it to protect it.

bacpacker
11-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Sniper, heck with Stark brothers. I think k they have Ponegrants.

realist
11-22-2015, 07:22 PM
The best thing about them is the jelly. We did a few jars last night and now we are finishing them up. We are looking at about 35 pints when done. No I have no clue what we are going to do with it all.

BTW the bottom of the post leftovers on bread it frickin awesome!!!!!!.