PDA

View Full Version : Winter vegetables?

Socalman
12-05-2015, 06:35 PM
I know some of you are in areas that are frozen pretty much until spring. However where I am located in So. Calif. there must be some decent veggies I can grow. I have never had a winter garden due to my work schedule. When you leave in the dark and return in the dark and have most weekends booked that just doesn't work. Now that I am retired I have the time to farm my land. (OK, not really farm but a good sized garden)

Sniper-T
12-05-2015, 09:45 PM
grow what you eat! what are your favourite veggies on the table??

bacpacker
12-05-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm betting in your area any type of green would grow. Most likely carrots, radish, beet, peas, cauliflour, cabbage, brocholi, and onion would as well. They are cool weather crops and some of them can be grown here under a cold frame.
Give some stuff a try, like any other gardening some stuff will work, some wont.

jamesneuen
12-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Where I am at, it's time to start growing anything leafy in partial sunlight. I tried peppers during the summer but made the mistake of putting them in partial sunlight and they got burnt to a crisp. Anything that grows mostly underground like carrots are full sun, and thin stalks like tomatoes are full sun.

realist
12-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Your lettuce and cabbages should do will along with root crops. If you get a frost you will have problems. You can make an improvised greenhouse by using PVC pipe hoops covered with plastic. These are good to get a jump on the spring planting cycle too. The big thing is you will have to grow your crops from seed since I don't know of any store which have winter starts out here. That said it is important everyone practice and see the results of planting seeds. You will get better results if you put a heating pad under your planting tray. I recommend you do both one with the heating pad and one without just for practice, seeds are cheap now. Good luck and have fun.