PDA

View Full Version : Winter camp-out reserved.

mitunnelrat
12-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Some of you may remember I would try to make it out to the woods every now and then for an overnighter. Well, I'm re-starting that trend (and ending this year) with a bang.

Instead of doing one night 1/4 mile from the house I'm doing 5 nights out 360 miles away, near Lake Superior, at Tahquamenon Falls State Park. December 26 - 31.

More of a pleasure trip and a getaway than a bushcraft/ survival challenge, but in the woods nonetheless, and with a new twist for me:

Bears!

I hope to do some fishing, hiking, sight seeing...

I'm good on the keeping warm part, I know I have the gear for that, but lots of planning to do the next two weeks.

Thoughts?

Sniper-T
12-12-2015, 02:19 AM
Sounds like fun, but I think you will miss out on the bears. They should be fast asleep already.

Wolves, coyotes, and several different cats will be around though.

bacpacker
12-12-2015, 02:31 AM
Not sure what the weather has been like up there so far, but snowshoes come to mind if it's a typical year in the U.P. Fire wood and a method to cut plenty more.
Are you car camping or backpacking?

mitunnelrat
12-12-2015, 02:57 AM
Oh yeah. Bears "do" hibernate! Lol!

I'm car camping. Gonna sleep in the back of my truck

mitunnelrat
12-12-2015, 04:40 AM
I'll add the snowshoes to my list of things to grab,too.

jamesneuen
12-12-2015, 05:10 AM
Hey! Private message me. I'll be up there. We can meet up for a beer at the brewery of you want. So far no snow though.

realist
12-13-2015, 03:06 AM
There is a group of us going up next month. I would say ours will be really easy since the most snow we will have is a few inches. You on the other hand have a real winter. Good luck and have fun.

Domeguy
12-13-2015, 04:36 AM
Thoughts?...well, my first thought is don't get eaten, but you may have already thought of that one yourself. Other than that, my next thought is I'm jealous, third one is have a good time.

Kesephist
12-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Full winter kit for the truck... I'd advise that if your truck battery is within a year of warranty expiration, get a new one straightaway. Being stuck with a dead battery in the snow...no. Top up the tank... and strap on an extra 5 gallon jerrican just in case.

CB for comms if you are well and truly stuck.

Extra roll of politician's promises.

Of late I am of that mentality "Better to have too much, and not need it, than too little, and need it." If you are planning for five days, lay in supplies for 7 or 8.

Sniper-T
12-17-2015, 01:32 AM
meh!
My Tacoma is a '98... with the original battery... 360,000 km. It has never been plugged in... EVER! and yeah... we get -40ish regularly!

Kesephist
12-17-2015, 08:27 AM
MTR -did- ask for thoughts on the matter, Sniper. Within limited experiences and imagination, an answer was generated.

A 17 year old still-functional truck battery, now... devoid of maintenance and working in some very low-temp regimes.

Notable.

bacpacker
12-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Original battery is impressive. I haven't had one go past 6 years in a long time... other than the big one in my tractor. I had to replace it year before last at around 10 years old

mitunnelrat
12-17-2015, 02:28 PM
James, pm incoming this afternoon...

Good call on extra food, my truck is otherwise set up pretty good. My battery is only a few months old, too.

It's also been pretty mild here lately, no snow up there as of last week, according to a brother-i -law with family in the UP.

I am torn now though. My reservation is made, but I've been getting the itch to go do a class too. Decisions, decisions.

jamesneuen
12-18-2015, 03:29 AM
I just changed the battery in my vehicle the other month. It was a 2003 and the original battery. Almost 16 years. Up north I never had a battery last longer than the warranty.

Sniper-T
12-18-2015, 06:15 AM
You may have snow there now mtr... we just got a foot dumped on us over the last couple days.

mitunnelrat
12-18-2015, 02:00 PM
This morning cinched it for me. I'm definitely making the getaway. Snow or no snow.

Katrina
12-20-2015, 02:01 AM
Have fun !

jamesneuen
12-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Messaged and texted ya. Looking like Tuesday is going to be the only one the family hasn't spoken for me.

mitunnelrat
12-27-2015, 02:01 AM
So... I didn't go. I forgot my spare wasn't seated on the rim, and didn't check to see if it had a bigger issue than being flat in time to get a new one on. On the plus side, I did get a new muffler installed.

Reminds me of the phrase "prior planning prevents piss poor performance."

Kesephist
12-27-2015, 01:12 PM
So... I didn't go. I forgot my spare wasn't seated on the rim, and didn't check to see if it had a bigger issue than being flat in time to get a new one on. On the plus side, I did get a new muffler installed.

Reminds me of the phrase "prior planning prevents piss poor performance."

Additionally, a good thing to have found that out 'in port', so to speak, as opposed to out in the back of beyond.

kesephist

jamesneuen
12-28-2015, 03:01 AM
It was kind of a crap week up there anyways, just soggy and nasty all week, just got below freezing today as we drove home.

Sniper-T
01-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Bummer.

btw, do you have a can of ether in your truck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K1V00yUe6o

robsdak
01-05-2016, 07:28 PM
been there, done that, got the t-shirt and singed arm hair to prove it. : ) works really good out in the deer woods, when you slide a tire off the bead.

mitunnelrat
01-10-2016, 11:45 PM
I do not have any ether, but that then again, I do not routinely carry a lot of things. Truck storage and security are in the plans for some major upgrades this year. I may have to try a tire like that one day just to do it ;)

Sniper-T
01-11-2016, 11:22 AM
it's better to use a little less, and have to do it a second time rather than picking tire lugs and steel belts from your teeth.