PDA

View Full Version : Bomb shelter/secret bugout location on your own property

Metrocruiser
12-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Hey all,

Been thinking about buying a BOL away from the city. It will also be a recreation spot for us in the spring and summer. Hopefully a desolate place where we can shoot on the property.

The 1st improvement would be getting services to the lot. Then to build some sort of underground shelter/hideout.
We are thinking 2xSxS 20' containers and then encase in cement to reduce the rust factors. Then build a structure above it. Either the principal living area or a barn, garage etc.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? Pro/cons?

Thanks all

Illini Warrior
12-13-2015, 01:49 PM
do your research - just about a zillion posting on burying CONEX boxes .... rusting out the boxes is the least of your problems

helomech
12-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I would not use a connex. when and if I ever build my underground bunker it will be made from 10 or 12 foot culverts.

jamesneuen
12-13-2015, 08:50 PM
I would look up box culverts.

helomech
12-13-2015, 08:58 PM
Round culverts are stronger.

Sniper-T
12-13-2015, 09:39 PM
both round and square have their advantages and disadvantages. Round is incredibly strong, but has less available space, and more importantly, less usable space. Square provides more room, more usable space, and an easier walking platform. The trade off, of course, is less strength.

In a perfect, and high budget world, I would do a combo of both... domed roof/upper walls over a square base with 5' straight pony walls.

The biggest problem with underground, especially up here with our fluxuations in temperature, and more importantly, humidity... is ventilation. Condensation dripping constantly, really fucking sucks!

helomech
12-13-2015, 10:00 PM
both round and square have their advantages and disadvantages. Round is incredibly strong, but has less available space, and more importantly, less usable space. Square provides more room, more usable space, and an easier walking platform. The trade off, of course, is less strength.

In a perfect, and high budget world, I would do a combo of both... domed roof/upper walls over a square base with 5' straight pony walls.

The biggest problem with underground, especially up here with our fluxuations in temperature, and more importantly, humidity... is ventilation. Condensation dripping constantly, really fucking sucks!

The round can give almost as much if planned correctly. If I ever build one it will be 12' diameter and will have a floor built 3 foot above the bottom. This will give you 3 feet of storage space and still give you 9 feet of head room in center. After putting bunks, and shelves on the sides you will have plenty of room inside.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I want to build.

http://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/aboutus/nbc/

jamesneuen
12-13-2015, 10:11 PM
I was just saying that the culverts are meant to be buried. There are horror stories about the connex boxes that are buried.

Metrocruiser
12-14-2015, 03:09 AM
Great info, thanks all, thanks for the link helo.
I am now pointed in the right direction.

This is one I found recently http://www.risingsbunkers.com/pricing-and-floor-plans/

realist
12-14-2015, 03:37 AM
I have fooled with connex boxes and they can really be nice. To start we had three, 3-20 and 1-40 foot one. These are not buried but above ground with solar power and a back up generator when it is so overcast the solar is blocked.

The big thing initially was to clear away any rust and seal it. The exterior was primed with two coats and then two overcoats. If you were to buy one make sure you look at all the places which water would settle, hence rust. I did a smell test, all of them had wooden decks. I put down a vapor barrier, Tyvex, and then put 1 inch tongue and groove flooring down. Then I framed out the sides and ceiling. The sides were 2x4 and the ceiling was 2x6. I insulated the sides with two inch rigid foam and four inch ceiling. On the sides and ceiling I covered them in 1/2 inch plywood after wiring it for lighting and electrical outlets.

So what had this to do with a buried connex box? Well if I was going to bury one I would do it the same way but instead of wood I would use steel in place of the wood studs. On the floor I would use steel to tie in the walls to give it more rigidity and then lay the flooring on top. Over the exterior of the connex before I buried it I would cover it with butyl rubber material which is used in ponds. This covering would cover all sides and ends. Before I placed the connex I would lay down a good rock base with pipe underneath to drain any water which could accumulate under the connex. It would also need a ventilation system which draw exterior air both powered and manually. There are several good systems on the market.

Now for plan B. I have also looked at using culverts too and personally I think the 12 foot wide ones are the only ones viable. I agree they are stronger and would give you storage underneath and plenty of room up top. The thing I do not like about the culverts is the round tube, although it may be stronger I get a closed in feeling when I am in them. I prefer the box over the tube.

Cost wise I do not know what is cheaper. I do know a 20 foot box goes for about $2,500 plus shipping..

ak474u
12-15-2015, 01:30 AM
Great info, thanks all, thanks for the link helo.
I am now pointed in the right direction.

This is one I found recently http://www.risingsbunkers.com/pricing-and-floor-plans/

These guys are local to me, I think they are the company formerly known as deep earth bunkers from the doomsday bunker reality show. Those are nice.

jamesneuen
12-15-2015, 03:19 AM
Just concerned for your safety is all. I really would love to do many things myself but I wouldn't know how to do it safely, so I don't.

Kesephist
03-02-2016, 05:03 AM
It's to be hoped that the company making those bunkers is N O T trying to pass them off as something not detectable by TPTB. And it's to be hoped SOMEONE trustworthy is on premises at all times, 'cause if not, the possibility of the site being compromised (looted, taken over, vandalized or just plain public knowledge) goes up.

A reminder of having such a resource commonly known about, per Serling...

https://youtu.be/YmxuIoLqyD4

"Oh, but that was over 50 years ago... that could never happen now..."

Riiiight.