PDA

View Full Version : An engineered fire

Sniper-T
01-11-2016, 10:51 PM
A friend sent me this link:

http://www.thegoodsurvivalist.com/wp-content/myimages/2015/12/amazing-self-feeding-fire.jpg

and this was my response to him:

I swear to God... as an avid camper/outdoorsman of all my life. This is one of the original ideas that I have ever seen

The problem that engineers don't grasp, is that fires spread, and within an hour or so, this fire would have burnt up the chain, leaping flames 20 feet into the air, and then burnt through the arc'ed logs, dumping the entire burning mess onto the forest floor... in effect igniting the entire forest .

Thank you engineers, for burning out forest to the ground!

along with your tents, and everything you own!

What are your thoughts?

jamesneuen
01-11-2016, 11:04 PM
But what if the supports were made if green wood soaked in water while the other logs were dried and seasoned? I kind of want to try this with a hose nearby.

You would always make the supports out of some type of steel, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of minimalist backpacking. Ummmmmm, I'm just really not sure.

Sniper-T
01-11-2016, 11:15 PM
doesn't matter what the supports are made of, once established, the fire will lick its way up the chain, until the logs are engulfed. after burning down, the semi burnt logs will fall through the frame and dump onto the ground, igniting everything around them.

ElevenBravo
01-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Damn J, dont think it so deep bro! ;-)

J/K You point out good points... it would be worth trying one day just to see how it really works... in concept, it looks cool. But a lot of things look cool in concept, right?

EB

Sniper-T
01-12-2016, 12:09 AM
lol, yeah. being that I work front line in a concept factory... I look for potential issues!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Hey, this is the kind of stuff they give us in the military. "The engineers said it will work, so it will work" anybody ever heard of a Screaming Alpha?

Domeguy
01-19-2016, 09:27 AM
This is why I'm a follower and not a leader. At first glance, I thought what an awesome design, a self feeding fire. But I over looked the elephant in the room.

realist
01-21-2016, 10:54 PM
You know the engineer knew it would work and if did.............just not as it was engineered. Then again did he build it to fit in a backpack???

Socalman
02-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Engineers! How often do concepts fail? However, keep working guys, you never know what you might come up with that would actually work.

Domeguy
02-22-2016, 03:01 AM
Today I actually watched this on video, and it actually worked. Admittedly, it did rain some during the night, but the fire did not climb as everyone thought it would. The fire did get about 1/2 way into an upper log before it would roll into the fire pit. It was a successful self feeding fire. So, I was all those nay sayers to write a three page theme, (double spaced would be fine) why we should not speak when we don't know what we are talking about, and post it here on line.

Sniper-T
02-22-2016, 11:35 AM
You know... I have a broken watch... and it is right twice a day!

I watched a couple videos too. and in the main one, you could see that the third log up the one side and the second one on the other were well engulfed when the rain came and put it out. If it wasn't for that rain, both those side piles would have burnt up. He got lucky.

This is a common way that we make a fire on a lake when we're ice fishing:

http://prepforshtf.com/build-feeding-fire-upside-fire/

It works really well, and the bottom layer keep the water from extinguishing it. will usually burn all day (depending on the height/size)

Domeguy
02-22-2016, 01:16 PM
So I'm guessing no theme paper then?

Sniper-T
02-22-2016, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...