PDA

View Full Version : Energy bars: care, preservation and SHTF utility of them?

Kesephist
01-14-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm not referring to lifeboat emergency rations. I mean such things as Clif, or PowerBar, or Oorah! .. that sort of thing.

Comment?

bacpacker
01-14-2016, 08:51 PM
I keep a few in my GHB and rotate them every month or two. I also try and keep them cool. The brand I like (Kind bars) have fruit in them and I would expect them to go bad quicker in heat.

AlphaTea
01-14-2016, 09:21 PM
I have some of the Millennium bars in my GHB. Plenty of flavors to choose from. Flavor is fine but eat like sawdust.
Never had one go bad. They are vacuum packed. Usually about a buck a piece. I usually get a dozen and split them up between my truck, Wifeys Subaru and the GTFO bag at home.
I think the dates are good for 3 or 4 years or so.
I rotate them out every year or so with the light sticks

Illini Warrior
01-14-2016, 10:49 PM
should be on everyone's "last minute" buy list - but not a long term storage item ....

bacpacker
01-14-2016, 11:42 PM
Like most other foods, rotation.

I don't plan on making a last minute buy of food. That is where the masses will be and I don't plan on mixing it up with them.

ak474u
01-15-2016, 02:24 AM
I generally buy a few boxes at a time, and only carry a few at a time. I carry them a few months and let my kid eat them on car rides or I eat them between appointments when I can't stop for a snack etc. I also carry the snack size slim jims and rotate them on the same schedule. I do keep them in an empty Nalgene bottle so they don't get crushed.

Sniper-T
01-15-2016, 11:57 AM
found one in an old hunting bag last fall. probably 7 or 8 years old. ate it. still here.

realist
01-15-2016, 01:33 PM
I have found Power Bars seem to hold up the best and do not taste like saw dust. On the other had depending upon the time of year you might break a tooth. The nice thing about them is they are generally good for several years and are not affected by temperature of the car. I also like the granola bars, not the soft ones, they hold up well in the car. I generally keep both types with my primary one being the granola bar. I try to rotate them at the very least once a year. I am always eating the granola ones for times when I miss breakfast or lunch so they get rotated more frequently..

Socalman
01-22-2016, 05:43 AM
As others said, not a good item for long term storage. Often these bars have nuts or grains that contain oils that will go a bit rancid. You can still eat them, I have but they are not very tasty.