PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of coyotes?

Socalman
01-22-2016, 05:38 AM
So we are starting to have some serious issues with coyotes in our area. We live in the suburbs near Pasadena, Ca. Housing desnity is pretty thick.

The coyote around my daughter's home is now attacking taking pets, even some good sized dogs during daylight hours. We have been told the coyote is a "protected" species, probably designated so by some of our asshat legislators in Sacramento, maybe by some bureaucrat.

I have no problem with taking one of those animals out. If I were outside it was threatening me, right?

The question is what to use? 7.62X39 and 5.56 both will do the job but would most likely be a through shot and then endanger neighbors. .357 would most likely pass through too and since from a handgun, more chance of a miss occurring at the distance I would have to shoot. .38spl and 9mm less chance of a through shot but the same issue of accuracy on a slightly moving target at distance.

Would a .22LR take down a coyote? I would hope to at least drop it with the first shot and do a couple of quick follow up shots to humanely kill it.

How about your thoughts on how to deal with animal? I thought about bringing in a roadrunner but....

Sniper-T
01-22-2016, 12:18 PM
up here they are considered vermin, and they're fair game.

Yes a .22 will take them down easily. I have shot literally hundreds of them with .22.

Other approaches are trapping but they are pretty clever and hard to catch.

and poisoning; but you may run into collateral damage of neighbours cats and dogs.

Gunfixr
01-22-2016, 01:02 PM
Vermin here also. Shoot on sight. Some areas you can even collect a bounty for killing them.
Mostly, around here, they use larger than 22s, so I don't know how effective that will be.

helomech
01-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Any decent shot will take them,lots of people will gut shoot them and let them run off to die.

helomech
01-22-2016, 02:22 PM
One big problem I read about with killing coyotes is that only the alpha male and female breed. If the Alpha is killed all members of the pack will breed until a new alpha takes over. This will cause a population explosion.

ElevenBravo
01-22-2016, 07:10 PM
VA = Open Season:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/problems/coyotes/

Stormfeather
01-23-2016, 12:24 AM
As far as I know, you are allowed to kill them of they present a threat, "it kept advancing on me Warden, so did what I felt was prudent to protect myself"....

ElevenBravo
01-23-2016, 03:50 AM
300 blackout, subsonic, with a can... Shoot it from inside the house and Hefty bag it after dark, toss it in trash can.

The more someone sees, or the more you tell, you more you have to explain.

My father in law killed a squirrel that was acting plumb wild, while a major rabies outbreak was reported... He called the game warden, he came to get the squirrel and before he left informed him he could have written him a ticket for discharge in a residential. He said next time, hes not calling any damn body.

EB

Kesephist
01-23-2016, 04:06 PM
300 blackout, subsonic, with a can... Shoot it from inside the house and Hefty bag it after dark, toss it in trash can.

The more someone sees, or the more you tell, you more you have to explain.

My father in law killed a squirrel that was acting plumb wild, while a major rabies outbreak was reported... He called the game warden, he came to get the squirrel and before he left informed him he could have written him a ticket for discharge in a residential. He said next time, hes not calling any damn body.

EB

Soft-pointed or hollowpoint, if you can manage it. Mr. Blackout is is a spectacular set of specs (groaning at pun), but:

(excerpted from Wikipedia's article "300_AAC_Blackout_(7.62×35mm)" )

" 300 BLK rounds like the Barnes TAC 110 grain, have "barrier blind" performance, being capable of penetration through several inches of different hard targets. "

Would not do to have a thru and thru taking care of Wile E., and then hitting something valuable behind.

realist
01-24-2016, 02:43 PM
This is part of the problem with Socal no one really hunts them in that area. As for a County trapper some of the counties have done away with the position. You might check with Fish and Wildlife (no longer Fish and Game, that would imply we hunt). A shotgun with something other than 00 buck or slugs works well when in an Urban environment works well. The big issues are the neighbors all think coyotes are in a class with Rin Tin Tin, does anyone remember that, okay Lassie. That is until one takes fluffy off the front porch.

jamesneuen
01-30-2016, 03:53 AM
My favorite way to do it was buy a rabbit from tractor supply, break it's back legs and tie it to a stake in the middle of a field so it screams. Set up 75-100 yards out with a 22 magnum with a red light spotlighting the area so their eyes reflect. Then aim for the gleam.

In the back yard, even a medium power pellet gun will kill them with a well placed shot, eyes, spine, brain.

Domeguy
01-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Any chance you know anyone in your area with a suppressed 22? Taking away the sound would go a long way to letting you solve this problem a lot easier.

Socalman
01-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Domeguy, thanks. I have a Ruger 10/22. The problem is not the noise. My concern is a through and through that would hit someone else. I know that a .22 if placed exactly would solve the issue but I don't know that I would be good or exactly where to place the shot. The .22 is what I was thinking of using, but I don't want to have it run off and suffer. If I could disable it I would have no problem moving closer and finishing it off.

Socalman
01-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Anyone know, how thick the skull on a 'yote is? Would a .22LR penetrate enough to drop it from between 40 - 60 yards?

Kesephist
01-30-2016, 03:15 PM
CCI definitely... MaxiMag 40 grain, jacketed, clocked out to, I think, 1875FPS. Definitely will do enough damage to close and finish off. If you are worried about a .22 doing through and through collateral damage...Federal Match ammo. all lead and and 1325 FPS.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT go for this greenweenie ALL TIN slug crap. 26 grain slug.. who in the hell they kidding?

Might as well shoot em with a old Daisy air rifle rated for 325 FPS and have done.

Kesephist
01-31-2016, 06:33 AM
My favorite way to do it was buy a rabbit from tractor supply, break it's back legs and tie it to a stake in the middle of a field so it screams.

This is necessary?

ElevenBravo
01-31-2016, 07:38 AM
If its brutal, its necessary. Its war after all...

Kesephist
01-31-2016, 04:57 PM
If its brutal, its necessary. Its war after all...

By corollary, then, staking an injured soldier out in no-man's land to draw fire would also be acceptable.

I'd have to do a bit of digging, but live baiting seems like it'd be illegal in most jurisdictions that consider baiting with feed or salt illegal.

helomech
01-31-2016, 07:54 PM
By corollary, then, staking an injured soldier out in no-man's land to draw fire would also be acceptable.

I'd have to do a bit of digging, but live baiting seems like it'd be illegal in most jurisdictions that consider baiting with feed or salt illegal.

Live bait is only illegal to protected species. Such as ducks, and deer. You can't put your pet deer or duck out to draw in deer or ducks to shoot. But you can use a rabbit you purchased or raised to draw in coyotes. Nothing illegal about it.

Nothing wrong with using wounded enemy to draw out more enemy either.

Kesephist
01-31-2016, 08:33 PM
Live bait is only illegal to protected species. Such as ducks, and deer. You can't put your pet deer or duck out to draw in deer or ducks to shoot. But you can use a rabbit you purchased or raised to draw in coyotes. Nothing illegal about it.

My objection is to crippling the animal wantonly.

I have heard rabbits scream. It has been my foul and unkind misfortune to know of people-shaped individuals that enjoy the sound.

Sniper-T
02-01-2016, 11:16 AM
A rabbit crying is very reminiscent of a baby crying. And personally, unless it was a survival situation, I think that is an unnecessary action.

You can, buy yourself a few nice steaks, and collect the blood, you can buy an electronic call to bring in yotes (including an injured rabbit call). Also, if you know anyone with a dog in heat, you can use it's musk to bring in the yotes too. I did this a few years back with my Brother in law's husky. I used rags to wipe her hocks, and then hung the rags in some trees along a clear shooting line. I ran out of daylight before I ran out of yotes.

If you are worried about a through and through... I would seriously consider a call, or bait or scent, as you can lure them in to a safe kill zone.

realist
02-01-2016, 12:25 PM
If you have ever used a decoy they work great. The way it works, it looks like a fox tail which moves around in a jerky motion. Coupled with an electronic call the coyotes come in at a run. We use them in the middle of the night and use flashlights. I have always been cautious of light when moving around at night. But when hunting coyotes they do not care about the light. Once they start in on the decoy if you turn the light on they ignore it and will come at a run. So if you were using a 22 that would be a way to get them in closer.

jamesneuen
02-04-2016, 12:52 AM
Upper peninsula in Michigan permits baiting of almost all animals, including deer, nuisance animals and bear.

As far as it being necessary, no.

But I don't think the sound on a decoy is the same. To me it doesn't sound authentic.

Also, there is a broad line between how to treat animals and humans. I grew up in the country. I raised a calf from a newborn to full grown and then killed and butchered it myself. It's just life.

ch7ster
12-27-2016, 04:35 PM
I've killed coyotes in South Texas with .22 rifle. No problem.

Socalman
04-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Our area was hit by fire last June. A large portion of the hills just to the north (about 125 yards from our home) was burned and it seemed to take care of the problem. I am sure the 'yotes ended up relocating. However there is a nursery under the power lines behind the homes across from us. We know from workers at the nursery that a yote gave birth to pups a few months back and at least 3 pups were maturing. That would mean most likely 5 of them around now. While I have not personally spotted them this spring, many of my neighbors report sightings. Many neighbors will start calls letting those with animals to keep the pets inside.

Now it appears the larger problem is raccoons hitting my orange tree!