PDA

View Full Version : Technology to monitor SHTF events

The Stig
08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
As I sit here looking at three different websites that are tracking Hurricane Irene it got me to thinking...(always dangerous).

Do you use any sort of technology to monitor potential SHTF events in your area?

For example, if you live in a wildfire prone area do you have a radio alert system or public broadcasting alert that can be sent out?

If you live in a flood zone, do you get any sort of notification perhaps via a website/text message that it's been raining heavily upstream?

Could be something as simple as a weather alert radio.

Does your local ems provide any sort of warning service like a phone list or text messages?

TEOTWAWKI13
08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
weather radio, but i'm also a big social media fan, so twitter and facebook are huge for things like that, most of your "friends" are in similar locales, and it's easy to connect and get updates, even if power is out, via smartphones.

bacpacker
08-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I downloaded a app for my cell phone that gives disaster alerts. the downside is, so far I have only been able to see world wide events. Almost nothing local. For weather related stuff I use:
Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com) and then select wundermap which gives me a local radar that updates at around 2 minutes. I also watch the NWS radar as well.
TV and radio warnings is about the only other thing I use.

LUNCHBOX
08-23-2011, 12:12 AM
I also have a "Disaster Alerts" app on my Droid. My dispatch has an all page that they can put out if there is a local incident. Then there is my radio which I could leave turned on at all times as long as we have power (in that kind of situation, I might even plug it in to the genny if needed)

Stormfeather
09-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Ive got a NOAA radio which is windup that works really good.
Theres also a good website that shows SHTF situations all over the world, if you give me a sec, I will find a link for ya!

ETA : Here ya go! All The Worlds SHTF all on one page with a map to show location!

RSOE EDIS (http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/?area=%C3%A2%C2%8C%C2%A9=eng)