PDA

View Full Version : Sucks!!!

Sniper-T
02-17-2016, 10:19 PM
I figured I would start a thread so everyone has a place to post about the crap that happens that sucks.

Not looking to solve issues, although that would be ideal... mainly a place to vent!

I'll start:

Big meeting at work this morning... Big big boss comes in and tells us that corporate is shutting down the manufacturing in our plant.

Thus the entire unionized work force is soon to be unemployed.

Thus, the entire Salaried staff that deals with the manufacturing aspect is also soon to be unemployed.

Thus, I am soon to be unemployed.

Termination dates will be announced over the next couple days.

sucks!

:(

sucks hard! I loved my job!

Stg1swret
02-17-2016, 10:57 PM
You must work for an aircraft manufacturer. At least they gave you notice. I worked for one that came in one day called the plant employees together,and let us know it was the last day for everyone with under 35 years on the job. That left two people and they received their pink slips 2 weeks later. It truly sucks.

ElevenBravo
02-17-2016, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your job bro! that sucks.

I may not have much but, I need to be thankful every day for what I *DO* have...

EB

bacpacker
02-18-2016, 01:20 AM
Damn T! That truly does suck. I hope there are other jobs in the region you can find. It really sucks when a good job you enjoy goes away.

helomech
02-18-2016, 04:04 AM
Oil needs to go back up. We will probably have another lay off soon, I should be safe. There are 104 people under me that have to go first.

Sniper-T
02-18-2016, 10:50 AM
I work(ed) in the mining sector. And not sure of prospects right now. Everyone is hurting.

And yeah, in that regard (notice) I am thankful. At least I have a little time to get my duck in a row.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-21-2016, 01:23 AM
Well shit......time to do some more huntin and fishin. Gotta stock up.

jamesneuen
02-21-2016, 03:52 PM
LOL Sniper, mining department, prospects...... did you even catch that?

Sniper-T
02-22-2016, 10:58 AM
^
yeah, it's kind of an inside joke around work.

;)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-22-2016, 03:28 PM
So I guess you guys can always put all the dirt back in the holes you dug..................put things back the way you found it...............what? You're supposed to! Always leave things better than the way you found them.............to some extent anyway.

realist
02-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Sniper that sucks the big one.

Around our place when I started it was always how many people do you have seniority on??? That was the big one, I had about 24 under me and they let off 10 in the first round and we were walking on pins and needles. Then they just decided to freeze hiring so I was never effected. Now I am retired it is funny my nephew is at my old place and they are doing the same thing. He recently told me he was gold since there were 50+ under him, it only took him 7 seven years....

Caveman Survival
02-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Shitty deal sniper! Time to go off grid I guess

Sniper-T
02-27-2016, 12:45 AM
I wish. not quite ready financially yet though

:(

bacpacker
02-27-2016, 02:28 AM
Any prospects popped up yet.

Sniper-T
02-27-2016, 02:57 AM
One. A Pharmaceutical manufacturer is advertising for almost my exact position, that I'm quite pumped about.

My current company hired a HR consulting firm to assist with resumes/cover letters/interviews/etc, and I am using them to the fullest. I will hold off applying until the last day, to make sure I am giving myself the best opportunity.

The kick in the nuts suck, is that my last day at my current place is at the end of May, so I would have to quit there if I had to take something sooner. Will take some finesse to make things work in my best favour.

bacpacker
02-27-2016, 03:12 AM
Glad you are seeing some stuff. Something that is up your alley, even better.

When my last place told us they were closing up shop and moving to mexico, I stuck around until Nov. They actually shut the doors in Feb. Waiting till the last day would have cost me a bunch in the long run.

Good luck with your search.

Sniper-T
02-27-2016, 03:25 AM
I would have to consider any offer carefully. If I quit early, I would give up a severance package...

And go against my word.

bacpacker
02-27-2016, 03:29 AM
Not sure what your severance would be. In my case I made the amount back in about 2 years.

I hate to go against my word. But when it comes down to your livelyhood, the company is not going to do any more for you than they have to. At least they don't around here. You gotta do what fits you best ... YMMV

Sniper-T
02-27-2016, 03:39 AM
I haven't crunched the numbers yet, and will see my tax-guy before making a decision... but a rough ballpark is at a comparable wage it would be about a seven year recovery, based on immediate payoff of high end debt.

but, of course, that may be moot if it is the new perfect job for me...

sigh...

bacpacker
02-27-2016, 03:42 AM
I know, hard choices to make. No other way around it. I was lucky and found something I could move up to. Cut the time down considerably. Seven years is quite a while to make things balance.

Sniper-T
02-27-2016, 03:50 AM
yeah... those are the hard numbers, but then the intrinsic values come into play.
I more than 1/2 my daily commute=increased home time
possible bonuses
profit sharing
in house gym

so many considerations.

My biggest limitation is that I absolutely love my job. I love going into work each day, I love what I do.

I hope for nothing less for the next one.

realist
02-27-2016, 04:18 AM
Sniper good luck on the search. Your word is very important, however in essence they gave their word to employ you and you worked to the best of your ability. They broke that bond when they decided to close, so as much as you love your job, you and family are more important. I agree crunch the numbers and figure out what you would lose in the severance pay. One thing you might do to is negotiate with your new company that if you leave early you will lose your bonus, they might just come up some or match it. If you do not ask nothing will happen. Good luck to you.

Sniper-T
02-27-2016, 04:38 AM
If it comes down to interviews, and an offer, it will certainly be mentioned. I seriously doubt that they would match as a signing bonus... but they may hold off on a start date, esp. when/if I offer to come in for 'pre-training' and/or take courses on my own time to facilitate the transition.

I will do whatever I can to work with a new company to facilitate the transition and still maximize my opportunities.