PDA

View Full Version : Sleep mat, do you have one?

LUNCHBOX
08-23-2011, 05:56 AM
I have a Therm-a-rest sleep mat that I take hiking. I also have a older military foam roll up mat to. I like both and will be leaving a review soon.

Do you have a mat in your b.o.b? If so, what kind? If not....why?

mitunnelrat
08-23-2011, 06:13 AM
I have a self-inflating Coleman model that's seemed to work out ok for me. There wasn't any real research or forethought put into it though. I just liked how much smaller it rolled up compared to the military foam I have as well.

bacpacker
08-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I also have a thermarest light weight model. I would like to get one of the thicker models, but they take up a lot more space. Super comfy though.

I used an old ensolite (closed cell foam pad for years. There ok but not nearly as comfortable. Big advantage to them, you don't have to worry about punctures. I usually carry a large square of the foam to sit on in the winter. Keeps you dry and insulated.

izzyscout21
08-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I've got a Snigpak Midi. I like it quite a bit as it is very durable and relatively light weight. While I was active duty, I normally just rolled my fart sack out on the ground without a pad. Now a little older and wiser, I realize that I'm not Rambo and there's nothing cool about waking up with stone bruises on my back. I'll roll out with the pad.

Snugpak Self-Inflating Midi Sleeping Mat (http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/SnugPak_Sleeping_Mat_Midi/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=USA&currency=USD&country=USA&SelectedBundle=163123)

apssbc
08-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I use the USGI foam pad. Works well for me. It is a little bulky but for 3 dollars I cannot complain.

Grumpy Old Man
08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I have an ensolite that I've had for some number of years. It's okay, but I wouldn't consider it comfortable. Nowadays I am usually camping out of my truck so I have a nice Coleman blow-up mattress. But the ensolite pad, a bivvy sack and a poncho and liner ( courtesy of my jarhead buddies at Pendleton and 29 stumps) comprise my BOB sleeping system-lightweight and adequate for SoCal.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
I have 2 Therma-rest pads, and an for an alternative, off the ground system, an Eagle's Nest Outfitters hammock. I need the rainfly for the hammock though, haven't bought that yet.

cwconnertx
09-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I have many thermarest models

I have the z rest foam pad, which is light but bulky and not as comfortable as the self inflating type.

I have 2 of the 2 inch think luxury series for camping near my transportation

I have one of the new ultralight NeoAir pads, which I carry almost everywhere other than as EDC.

bacpacker
09-02-2011, 01:40 AM
CW never heard of the NeoAir pads. Sounds like you like them pretty well, i"ll have to check them out.

godisnum1
09-10-2011, 12:26 AM
I have the Thermarest Prolite Plus and I love it! I used to camp without anything on the ground while in college. Woke up a few times with bruises... but as I got older (and hopefully wiser), I decided upon the Thermarest. One of the best investments I've made! However, for how much I spent, I didn't like that I had to purchase the stuff sack separately. That would be my only complaint thus far.

Bran <><

cwconnertx
09-18-2011, 04:04 AM
CW never heard of the NeoAir pads. Sounds like you like them pretty well, i"ll have to check them out.

I really do, they are the smallest and lightest, at the expense of not being self inflating. But they aren't that hard to blow up. The advantage is they are very easy to adjust to your preferred firmness level (its not like pushing a button on a SleepNumber bed, but easy)

They pack really light and I have been known to shut the door and throw it down on my office floor for a rest break. I've also used it during long layovers and flight delays in airports. Its just about the size of a quart jar, and about 13 ounces. Its always in my carry on luggage or briefcase.