PDA

View Full Version : 11 meter CB to 10 meter HAM

Kesephist
03-07-2016, 08:58 AM
People....
I got my Tech chit and will be getting callsign presently. I KNOW that the reach out and touch some of you folks simplex means HF. Problem is, Tech's allocation of HF is 10 m, 28.3 to 28.5 MHz. A narrow slice.

I have heard that some CB's lend themselves to modification from 11m to 10m.

Comments and information, please?

ElevenBravo
03-07-2016, 10:31 PM
It sounds like a recipe for agony and doom.. I honestly think a dedicated 10m rig would be your best bet, even used.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=radio+shack+10m+radio&mfe=search&clk_rvr_id=993784266023&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xradio+sha ck+htx+10.TRS0&_nkw=radio+shack+htx+10&_sacat=0

I used to have one, it was pretty nice.

EB

Kesephist
03-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Working on one in the 'bay.. damn but I do NOT like bid snipers or shills.

Soon as I get the callsign, by dam' I get on ARRL.org and eHam.com and start sniffing out other equipage.

Anyone, BTW, that could recommend a Non-Exotic 12 v battery for use? It is my aim to get a couple of Coleman UOR(?) ATV trickle charge panels to keep a battery source for the rigs fed in case of power outage.

jamesneuen
03-15-2016, 11:19 PM
I used to raid scrap yards for batteries out of cars when I needed them so I would avoid a core charge at the auto store. The scrap yards would just let me have them so they wouldn't have the lead and acid hazmat.

If you get a few to wire correctly they should be able to give you the power you need if you just put in a regulator. Most batteries are "dead" because they just can't produce the needed amperage or pressure to turn a starter. Much like how you could run a radio for a crazy amount of hours even if your car won't start.

Kesephist
03-18-2016, 10:07 AM
Welp, I just invalidated the need for this thread by snagging a HTX-10 on the bay. I may still snag a Cobra for more common comms.

Dry on seeb zain,

Karma In 7 Complete Individual Lessons,
Kesephist

ElevenBravo
03-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Good pick. How much was it?

bacpacker
03-19-2016, 01:19 AM
The HTX-10 was a decent rig in the day. Nice find.

Kesephist
03-19-2016, 07:50 AM
ElevenBravo:"Good pick. How much was it?"

$76 for the rig and $14 for the shipping; I get it next week

de KI7CIL
Kesephist

Kesephist
03-19-2016, 07:57 AM
The 'bay is getting to be a shill and scam (dear me, I repeat myself) laden slum. Be talking to eham.net and the local ARRL for other HAM stuff. Shoulda got this three years ago after reapportionment had firmed up.

Going for General two months after I get HRO's flashcard set. Gotta have that wider bandwidth, as I am not going to let comms between what few worthadamn preppers out here in the SW and the folks out east go under, if I have a say in it.

de KI7CIL
Kesephist

ElevenBravo
03-20-2016, 11:02 PM
K, your gonna love general! 40 hf is WAY more fun than anything ham has to offer!

Kesephist
03-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Fuff. My order didn't take, so I did it again just before local midnight. And yes, am looking fwd 2 the extra bandwidth.

Kesephist
03-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Just got the -10 not five minutes ago. Pwr & antenna next, and then good times.

Kesephist
03-31-2016, 08:09 PM
Fuff. My order didn't take, so I did it again just before local midnight. And yes, am looking fwd 2 the extra bandwidth.

Got the cards 5 days ago and have made them and the '16 ARRL Handbook my latest reads. 662 cards, I think... went thru them, right answers on the right side, wrong on the left. Picked up the wrongs and went thru them again, stacking the right answers on the right pile... over and over til I hit all of em....

and started over again...

and again...

and will keep on keeping on, right up til test day in either May or June.

This with the note: if SHTF in between then and now, allllllll bets are OFF.

These cards are good til 2019... If/when I get General, I will be selling em so some other Tech has something to work with.

Karma In 7 Complete Individual Lessons,

Kesephist

ElevenBravo
03-31-2016, 11:40 PM
Im glad were getting more hams.. its a good thing.

EB

Kesephist
04-01-2016, 05:50 PM
Still haven't got "first words" yet. The joys of stealth... bleaugh.

Mormon cart is still 'up on blocks'... so for Field Day I'm going out west with the rigs, antennas, and a couple of marine batteries in a vertical shopping cart, suitably dust and heat shielded and bolted down. Yes, properly insulated plumber's support strapping IS your friend.

KI7CIL,

de Kesephist