PDA

View Full Version : Honeyville Farms Expedition

Grumpy Old Man
08-23-2011, 04:41 PM
This last Saturday The Thunder Lizard Canning Club chapter of The Old Farts Society went on an Expedition to the Rancho Cucamonga Honeyville Farms store. Specifically I went to get mylar bags and O2 absorbers. The shelves were full and freeze dried eggs were back in stock. Prices were good, although the crystallized whole eggs were a little spendy at $26/#10 can. I also got a an AC adaptor for my Kaito solar/crank radio.

45 lb bucket of hard red wheat- $28
#10 can of freeze dried colby cheese-$15
#10 can Freeze dried fruit-$24 (I got raspberry, blueberry, strawberry and peaches)
The freeze dried meat is always kind of pricey but it is IMHO worth it.

Other items I got were raw honey (strangely hard to find at most SoCal locations), Mexican Vanilla and spigots for my 5 gallon water jugs. Gamo lids were pricier than at my local Winco as were the food grade 5 & 6 gallon buckets so I didn't get ant more of them. One interesting item was an "emergency washing machine for $69. I consisted of a 6 gallon bucket with a hole in the lid, a plunger of the same type as sold by Lehmans, some fels naptha soap, borax and washing soda. Since I have everything but the plunger, I'm going to order it and put one together myself, but it is a great concept.

All in all, the things they had been out of are back in stock. I recommend the whey products for those of us becoming lactose intolerant, but I got a #10 can of instant milk as well. I like Honeyville products better than MtnHouse because they do not have as much sodium in their freeze dried products. The stores are in Salt Lake City, UT; Chandler, AZ and Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Or you can order on line. While I don't recommend having an overabundance of freeze dried food, it is worthwhile to have some to fill out your one year food supply.

BTW they have good prices on 50 lb bags of grain as well.:D

Grumpy Old Man
08-25-2011, 05:32 PM
I have opened and thoroughly enjoyed the freeze dried fruit. The raspberries are good; the peaches are great!!! Both are wonderful out-of-the-can snacks, but I will try rehydrating some. This is the first time I've ever tried these; mostly I've had dehydrated fruit. Still looking into the plunger for the emergency washing set-up. More news as it happens.

RedJohn
08-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for telling us.

AlphaTea
08-25-2011, 08:25 PM
WOW! I buy from them frequently, but I had no idea that there was such a HUGE difference in the price between online and the actual store.
I guess they have to make up for that "$4.49 shipping Anywhere in the US"
Online a 50# bag of hard red is $49 and that does not include the bucket.